UnexpectedError when attempting to connect Synology NAS to ROCK

Can you tick the read/write box on the user permissions page in settings.

On my setup that is checked/ticked.

See if that makes a difference

It’s been a long time since I used a NAS for Roon, or for anything.

If I remember correctly, one could specify the NAS log on id/password, rather than the folder id/password.

Don’t know if that makes a difference for you.

Suggestion. Create a new user on your NAS. Call it Roon or whatever. !00% add the permissions and set a really simple pw/

Add the folder to network share and be really precise on the user and pw (case sensitive).

I just did this on a Synology NAS that I never use with Roon and it connects right away.

If I don’t add a user/PW then I get the error you have. So this does point to an error with user/pw/permissions.

Beyond that I am out of ideas to suggest

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion!

I tried creating a new user yesterday following the trail from your reply reg permissions, but it did not work. I will try it again tonight with the additional permissions check/ticking as you suggested on post 21.

Have you also checked the permissions in the Shared folder itself?
You also have to check the read/write permission there.

Actually that is the only option I have left.

I have now tried adding a new user with 2 letter credentials and made sure all read/write boxes are ticked but it is still not working.

Folder permissions

User permissions

Group permissions

Hello @Morten_Hansen, can you please verify that you can access your NAS via your network from another computer via finder or file explorer? Have you rebooted everything since this issue started?

Thanks for your reply!

I can access and browse my NAS content from both a Windows and Mac pc without any problems.

I have rebooted the Roon ROCK server and also tried reinstalling everything but it still does not work. I have also rebooted the NAS.

Today I got my hands on a QNAP TS-269 Pro NAS to test if I can connect my Roon ROCK with this NAS instead of the Synology … and guess what: I can’t!

It is the exact same thing that happens with the sequence of error messages and “Adding…” spinning for 25 seconds before I get an “UnexpectedError”.

I am able to connect and browse the shared content on both NAS stations from my Windows and Mac pc’s. I can also connect to the ROCK data discovery. Maybe it is something in the ROCK set-up?

This morning I remembered that I was not able to connect my Synology NAS to my old Roon set-up based on Mac mini running Ubuntu (as mentioned in my first post). So could it be my router that has some weird setting?

It’s probably a network issue; the question is what…

I notice that in an earlier screenshot you had set your NAS up with a static address - but I think there was an error: you had checked the “Set as default gateway” box. I don’t think this was correct; your default gateway should be your router (192.168.1.1), not your NAS (192.168.1.3)?

Personally, I would have all my devices use DHCP from the router (and let the router reserve permanent addresses for my devices) rather than faff about with static addresses on devices - too much scope for manual errors to creep in.

Thanks for your reply!

I tested both manual and automatic (DHCP) but without any luck. I will follow the network/router trail and try a different network router.

FYI…I do not set default gateway either so that is a possible difference between setups.
However, if you used dhcp then that should have resolved that.

What router are you using?

Actually, I don’t see anywhere here your ROCK network setup.

Can you post a picture of that page ?

It is possible that you have done something here that is common to your previous ubuntu setup also. Clutching at straws I know.

I will do.

Anything specific on the ROCK network set-up? I followed the guide on setting up the NUC’s BIOS and the installation; https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK_Install_Guide. Not everything in the BIOS set-up we’re as discribed in the guide but eventually I found out by Googling.

The NUC kit is the one recommended as well with 16GB RAM and 512 GB SSD; https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc10i7fnh.html

I am thinking about your NUC network setup. Maybe you have a static IP there and didn’t apply the same gateway. That could lead to your NUC not getting to the NAS.

Thanks for your suggestion.

We may be on to something here. I have not checked these but will do when I get home tonight (I’m on Oslo time and supposed to be working).

From a networking perspective that doesn’t seem correct. There is no need for a gateway as long as the desired address is within the same subnet. However, still well worth checking out.

Quite possibly. I’m clutching a straws here.

I checked the NUC set-up and it is automatic. Everything seems to in order.