Unstability Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini Late 2014

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Lan

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord 2Qute

Description Of Issue

I find myself quite stupid to write you on this matter that I have with Roon.

Somehow, I am not able to find any advantages in the purchase of the product, which frustrates me more and more.

The Roon Core is running on a dedicated Mac Mini, the Auralic Altair as network player. As the results were not impressive, I changed it to Mac Mini with Chord Qutest.

I find the Roon software, Roon Core not very logic and a big fuss in comparison to the Bluesound I had before. From time to time, there is no output and the system refuses to play, eventhough I was just listing to a previous track, it refuses to start the new selected track.
The system as it is, is very unstable.

I do not know why I experience so much downsides on it.

Is there a way I can improve this?

Many thanks

Claus

Absolutely, yes. But first, a little additional information would be helpful. Please describe your network in more detail including how all devices are connected. Also, where is your music stored and the type of files. Finally, do you use streaming services such as TIDAL?

This how the system works / connected.

MacMini, late 2014, contains only FLAC files, worth 2T in space. The MacMini is connected to the network via LAN cable. On this Mini, Roon Core is installed.

The MacMini is connected via USB cable to Chord 2Qute, which on itself is connected via RCA to the pre-amp of Luxman.

The control app runs on a MacBook pro, late 2016, which is connected to the network via LAN cable.

The services that I run is Tidal ans Qobuz

Thanks for this information. Do the Flac files play okay? Or do you experience problems with streaming and local media?

No Problems with the FLAC. The issues only occur on this moment for the streaming

I’m sure @support will be along soon, but please take a look at this Knowledge Base article on Networking Best Practices. Also, you may want to try replacing your ISPs DNS servers with either CloudFlare or Google Public DNS as this sometimes improves things.

Hi @Claus_Bossuyt,

Thanks for reaching out and for providing the additional information.

Are you presented with any error messages in Roon when this issue is occurring? If there’s a specific error presented, it could give us some further clues.

This is a great suggestion by @Martin_Webster, sometimes ISP-provided DNS servers are unstable, so I would suggest switching to Cloudflare/Google for better performance.

What kind of router are you using? Sometimes certain types of routers need special configuration options applied, and the one’s were aware of are mentioned at the end of our Networking Best Practices Guide.

If the same issue occurs after you have switched DNS servers, can you please note the exact local time + date + track when you see the next issue occur? Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.