Unwanted downsampling, on [internet] radio only

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

OSX 10.15.4, 2019 Mac Pro, 12-Core, 96GB RAM, 8TB SSD. Roon build 1.7.571

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

500GB FIOS -> 10GBe Netgear switch, Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mutec MC3+USB -> Genelec 8341s

Description Of Issue

For radio content only, Roon is downsampling 192/32 content to 44.1/24. 192/32 content from my Roon SSD library or from Roon Qobuz will play at full rate. Signal path shows: Source MP3 44.1, 32bbit, 191kbps --> Bit Depth Conversion 32bit to 24bit --> Roon Audio Transport --> Mutec MC-3+ USB. This applies only to radio content: high bitrate content from my other Roon sources plays back at full resolution.

Do you mean Internet radio or Roon Radio?

This seems to be fine:

The reported source bit-depth might be just moot:

This is any station in the Roon “Live Radio” section. There seems to be something unique about the downsampling logic for Roon Radio. With my other sources, such as local disk files, the downsampling logic seems to preserve the highest bitrate my device will support: for example, 320 material is downsampled to 192, not all the way to 44.1 like I am seeing with all radio content.

I’m unaware of any radio station’s mp3 or aac stream with more than 44.1 kHz sampling frequency. Can you give an example please?

Note: The sampling frequency is not same as the bit rate.

1 Like

I’m unaware of any radio station’s mp3 or aac stream with more than 44.1 kHz sampling frequency. Can you give an example please?

Thank you, BlackJack, I was in fact conflating sampling frequency and bitrate. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, and apologies for the wasted time on a non issue.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.