Unwanted Lyricist

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Charles Mingus composition Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk is also credited to Julie Christensen as a lyricist. While Ms. Christensen may have written some lyrics for her own recording - I cannot find it if that is the case - she is hardly THE lyricist for any performance by Mingus himself. Yet there her credit is in Roon for every one of the performances. When I edit any of these tracks to delete her credit as lyricist she then shows up as a Composed by along with Mingus. How do I get rid of her credit once and for all? For what it is worth she does not appear to be credited as composer or lyricist in allmusic. Once I delete here as a lyricist and she appears as part of composed by she does not appear in the editable credits so I do not know where her credit comes from.

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Yes, as noted I tried to delete Christensen as Lyric ist only to have her then appear as a (undeletable) Composer.

Is the album identified in Roon?

Yes, all the performances are on identified albums.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local files only

Screenshot of import settings

Track entry before editing:

Edit credits page after editing:

Track entry after editing:

Description of the issue

Issue described above

Edited to correct spelling of Christensen.

Not that I know anything about the history (seems to be complicated) of that composition, but the data originates from MusicBrainz:

Thanks for finding that. But how do I correct it? Roon really has to allow users to edit out the gross mistakes of poorly edited sources like musicbrainz and allmusic.

And yes, the title of this work has a number of variations (as do many of Mingus’ compositions). The versions that have the title Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk are properly credited to Mingus only. But Mingus used the title Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Silk Blue long before Christensen added her lyrics.

I don’t know what the best way (for Roon) is to handle (instrumental) compositions with later added lyrics. I think it’s best to wait for a reply from Roon Labs in this case.

About editing in MusicBrainz: Editing FAQ - MusicBrainz
For other metadata sources: How to report metadata issues

Using the 3 dots to the right of the track, Go to composition. I see Julie Christensen is credited there as a composer. If you edit that and remove her, does that fix things?

Yes, that works. Thank you! Just what I needed. However, I still have to delete Lyrics by Christensen on a track-by-track basis as lyricist appears to not be editable at the composition level.

Which album is this on?

1 Like

If more than one album, go to Christensen’s page as an artist. 3 dots and view tracks in library.
If you prefer one album at a time, view credits for the album and choose Christensen. That will show just the relevant tracks.

Select all the tracks (if appropriate, else just those tracks which you want to remove her from as a lyricist). 3 dots and edit tracks. Remove credits for her.

The reason I asked is that track credits are distinct from composition credits.

Please let me know what album this is and we’ll work the problem piece by piece. Please don’t do any bulk changes at this point if you want to understand WHY this is happening.

The problem with Christensen was on multiple albums and seems to be the result of poor quality control at Musicbrainz (not a new issue). I fixed them for my purpose as I want to get my collection in good order, but for the record they were all Charles Mingus albums.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.