Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

A post was merged into an existing topic: Leaving Roon after price increase

Christmas is just around the corner, if you think you might use Roon for 3+ years, try to spring for lifetime before the price goes up on Jan 1. Think of it as a new transport, not ‘just’ software.

2 Likes

Three questions…

Do you love Roon?
Does Roon work well for you?
Can you afford a US$699.99 expenditure?

I would say if you answered yes to these questions, jump on the lifetime subscription. If you answered no to any of these questions, then don’t.

1 Like

Best thing about lifetime is you never have to worry about price hikes again and you have peace of mind (in this area). It is an investment, for sure, but it is really worth it.

5 Likes

Now that offline play for local files is completely broken Roon is worth LESS than it was last year, not more. I’m really on the edge on this one.

@danny Can I just re-iterate what has been said elsewhere but deserves further highlighting to the ROON management. In the United Kingdom the combined price rise and exchange rate position means this represents a price rise of +40% (please check my maths) to your customer base here. In these times of high inflation across all products and services I wonder how this will impact your growth and future strategy? Clearly, ‘lifetimers’ are very happy, but for those who aren’t for many reasons, I can’t help but think this is bad for the long-term global growth of the business: ROON is a fantastic product but it will remain niche with this price barrier outside the US for as long as the Dollar remains strong. I’m sure others will have differing views - but one perspective for your consideration.

3 Likes

For once the UK is getting the rough end of the exchange rate. Some countries have and continue to suffer the dollar and pound exchange as a matter of normality (define normal.)

Does the BBC report the $ to UKP at the end of each news bulletin. Our radio news bulletins report the three primary exchange rates £ , € and $ even on the half hour headlines

Welcome to the real world where inflation and exchange rate volatility play havoc with purchasing ability , some of us have been there for years :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Kind of surprised at the responses to my post: I was merely pointing out that at age 75, a lifetime sub is not the bargain a 25 year old might realize.
I am still working and have enough discretionary income to buy a lifetime sub.
50 years ago I bought a lifetime subscription to Consumers Reports magazine: now that was a bargain!
Anyway I did not mean to complain about the cost increase: I am still a ROON fan and but for my age would consider a lifetime sub. My only complaint is that my Anthem AVM90 is still not ROON certified.

I will take the chance and change from “annually” to “lifetime”. Don’t want to spend the digital part of my music hobby without Roon…

7 Likes

Apologies if my post wasn’t received well. Wasn’t my intention to cause any offence.

I was enquiring more to see if you were ex armed forces, police, paramedic, fireman etc. Then I’d more than just agree that Roon might want to consider different pricing plans, I’d say you’ve servered your country and fellow citizens and deserve something in return.

Example;
ex armed forces, police, paramedic, fireman - half price
Students - some level of reduction

(Here in the UK, when you reach the national retirement age you can apply for a free bus pass. That kind of thing)

1 Like

Roon is fantastic for my use as of now, but am reluctant to take the life plunge.

When i subscribed to Roon, the lifetime option was already at the current price level.
I would have bought in on Roon lifetime at an instance If it was at $499, at that time.
Now i will use Roon as is and have a 6-7 year window before lifetime would pay off.

I stream most of the time and use my library less than 1% of the time, probably only at a network outage (not often).
With Roon 2.0 the option to play offline from a library has been terminated, as i have read on the forum (not testet).

There are only two supported streaming options whereof one is a no go (MQA bluff) and the other one is a niche player.
It does not look like Roon wil be adopted by other (big) streaming services.
No streaming “plugins/support” in Roon renders Roon useless for my use case, as library curation is not my focus.
The above Roon has no influence on, Roon is dependent on streaming companies willing to allow and facilitate integration.

I hope i am wrong, but am not “gambling” on lifetime, i will stay on annual and see if time proves me wrong.

1 Like

I share this fear, which was my only reason not to make a decision in favour of “Roon lifetime” up to now… The integration of other streaming providers would be excellent, although I believe that it is not Roon that has to act here, but rather these providers that have to open up.

Isn’t it a bit bizar to send me an email announcing a considerable raise in price of the Roon subscription while I am experiencing such problems with this softwaere allready for so many months?

1 Like

I’ve received no email.

1 Like

we made a mistake and only sent out the email to about 10% of group we meant to send the email to.

huge thanks for noting this – the problem is being rectified now.

2 Likes

Just get a credit card that lets your turn that into installments. Adds maybe 2-3% but that’s it.

20% cost increase is eye watering, I can live with that if roon commit to fixing the long long long term issues:

Windows crashing all the time
The god awful ‘AI’ roon radio that chooses the same songs in the same order, ignores the fact tracks have been skipped a million times and essentially is broken and acknowledged as such by the CEO. Surely the primary selling point of roon?

Then I won’t feel so bad about a 20% hike for what looks on paper like a copy of functions already available to anyone for free (arc) and a regression in not being able to use what I paid for without internet.

1 Like

No, not really… Refer to “About Roon” FAQ where it clearly states that software improvements and updates are free to licensed users - meaning those updates have been factored into your payment plan (sub or lifetime).

Regardless, that was not my point, i was merely suggesting that for solutions (like Roon and ARC) that rely on service availability and reliability to provide intended value to users, there could be better methods to handle user-impacting service outages that are beyond the control of those users. This is not the right forum to go deeper into this topic, so i’ll leave it at that and totally respect your opinion if you disagree.