Upcoming change to Roon subscription prices (January 1st, 2023)

Nicely worded. :+1:

I justified a lifetime license by viewing this as an asset I would gift as part of my last will/testament to my offspring. They and their children’s children for generations to come will have a superior audio experience!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Leaving Roon after price increase

I am pretty sure Roon is for one lifetime not several lifetimes. :wink:

1 Like

This sounds like you just invested in a mansion.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Leaving Roon after price increase

It should be clear that it is the lifetime of the product. Anything else is stupid. I doubt Roon would sue you if you included your password of Roon in the will for your kids to use it. Roon wouldn’t even care. It is Roons lifetime we are talking about.

No, it isn’t. This has been addressed before. Lifetime only applies to the original license holder.

It isn’t like a lifetime guarantee on something that one has purchased. One doesn’t purchase Roon, i.e. the software. One purchases the right to use the software.

One can’t, legally, pass on a lifetime license, but who’s to know?

I‘m sorry, this was an automatic translation. I meant: I decided against a lifetime licence.

1 Like

Yes, but. Roon and Succession

You get so defensive in these forums.

I never said I don’t believe you. I do believe you. So thank you for the reassurance.

(And, as much as I love your directness/bluntness towards people, you don’t handle it well when you receive it)

4 Likes

There are other threads about that. I bought Audirvana Studio to cover internet outages.

As many, I’m not happy with the price increase and I’m trying to rationalise it.

One month ago, I got an email “you’re getting ARC at no additional cost”. Then today the subscription is increasing by 25%. I received the email but it was a price change. So I didn’t pay attention at first but then I calculated the % and I don’t know how you guys feel but what do you put in the 25%? What am I getting in the future that I’m not getting today which will account to 25% more value for Roonies?

Or my reasoning is just wrong: as mentioned earlier by Roon, everything increases so why not Roon? Plus, I just spent 3305 euros on a new system, so that’s like 4%.

It would be nice to have some insights on why 25% and not 10%. Maybe Roon suppliers increased their prices by 25%?

The gnashing of teeth continues. Prices go up.

People need to put on their big boy pants.

2 Likes

I personally don’t think this is a moral issue, though I realize that the social contract and how it works through private enterprise is understood differently in some geographies and by some individuals.

A company raised their prices for a product that many if not most would construe as a luxury. Some people will continue to pay, others will look elsewhere. Some of those people will be in one group, others will leave. Some new users who would have started to pay at the lower price will not. Those who are paying will all pay the higher price.
The company may thrive or may regret its pricing decision. Life will go on.

Honestly, as a marketer, it’s your dream to have a group of people this worked up. [Edit: example: the launch of new coke was and still is seen as an utter debacle but underscored how devoted a broad range of consumers were, and it was in the wind shadow of that sturm und drang that they successfully raised prices in a meaningful way, but it’s mostly remembered as a debacle and failure; one might almost say they intended it to work as it did, tho I doubt it and we’ll never know. Also, pricing is the simplest way to make $ in any business. A remarkable number of people have to leave for you not to be much more profitable. And 8 years is a ridiculously long period of time to leave prices unchanged. @danny set an alarm for 2 years from now and raise prices some nonzero amount whether you want to or not.]

Interesting…

It’s something with Audioquest

There’s also a webinar on 22nd November 2022 @ 5pm UTC

That is «Zero» if Roon stays the company Roon it is now.
In the event of eg. a merge or takeover anything can happen.

I think it’s a bit like the spend on a cart for your turntable. Most people aren’t buying a quiver of multi-thousand $$$ carts, they have to pick one and stick with it. People struggle more with the idea of value when it comes to software due to the intangibility but the effort/resource/cost to the manufacturer is still there, it’s a tough sell. So for me, the investment in Roon lifetime makes sense. If Roon didn’t change a bit from what it is right now, I’d be absolutely happy with it. I don’t see any features lacking for my use case ( of course YMMV) so, like the $$$ cartridge I recently purchased, i’m committing to Roon!

3 Likes

or you could say it’s the most brilliant marketing in the history of forever. Seriously, 37 years later and we are still talking about it!

3 Likes