Update to Roon 1.8 Build 880 corrupts my Roon Core database

I have the same issue with build 880. Everything is gone, even audio devices. Starting completely new is a joke solution. Fortunately I have no lifetime subscription.

4 Likes

I have this issue as well. No music and no audio devices. Since I have a large database and other users have stated that trying to restore from a backup for large databases is futile, I will not try it. I will wait for a possible solution. I have already spent a lot of time this year manicuring my music data on Roon, I will not invest more time for unsure remedies. I am happy that this is only my first year on Roon. I canā€™t think how crushing this is for long time usersā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve had Roon for five years and it is crushing to be faced with losing all the work Iā€™ve put into my library over that time. The prospect of having to do it all again literally kept me awake last night. Itā€™s a horrifying prospect and all the more enfuriating when the backups I was urged to make as an insurance policy against ā€œcatastrophic failureā€ appear to be useless, at least for the moment. To be further told thatā€™s ā€œitā€™s not our fault, guv, itā€™s yours for having a corrupted databaseā€ is enough to have the expletives flying!
This needs to be fixed and sharpish!

10 Likes

I just deactivated auto renew. It was due in 20 daysā€™ time. This is a big risk to take while paying that much. I use neither Tidal nor Qobuz so my local data is everything. I already own my music. I pay Roon for the experience, which has suddenly become shaky.

6 Likes

RoonCore on Win7 64 pro server worked very well so far without any problems.

Now Iā€™m glad I paid ONLY one year for now !!!
And I think an extension is probably NOT useful !!!

Why? After the update to build 880 several hours of pointless work on problems I have not ordered.
I have updated the database, no success, I have reinstalled EVERYTHING, a complete reinstall on all devices, nothing helps !!!
I have now spent several hours on this forum and the support is as poor as the update.

2 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Used With Streaming Services Only

I have the same issue. With a library >100.000 songs I would loose months of work in editing metadata. That would not be acceptable. Consequently, I will wait for a patch, maybe export-import routine or something else. Hope Ronelabs will give a short feedback about it soon. Otherwise, a very bad christmas present.

4 Likes

There code is flawed ā€¦ and there excuse for it is wearing thin

The team posted a message that weā€™re supposed to restore old backups until we find one that isnā€™t corrupted. If we donā€™t, weā€™re supposed to start with a new, blank database =(

So far Iā€™ve gone through all my December backups with the same result. Sometimes the restore goes through but when the ā€œupdating databaseā€ process concludes, it shows the ā€œunable to load databaseā€ error. I know the suggestion is to restore the oldest backup but I want to minimize data loss (tags, likes, etc.), while returning Roon to operationā€¦

So, just to update: I went through 8 manual backups, going back all the way back through December and November. Every single one returned an ā€œunable to load databaseā€ error. I then decided to go to my oldest^ backup from October. Same error as before.

Is starting over with a new database the only real option? I know Roon is not ā€œmission criticalā€, but something big broke on this update.

3 Likes

Hi @Stormwulf ,

Can you please use these instructions to access your Roon logs and upload them here for review?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Please let us know after logs have been uploaded, thanks!

This may help you track down the last good backup a little swifter.

Iā€™d suggest attempting to restore you oldest backup, if that fails then most likely you will have to start with a clean DB. If the oldest is good, then try restoring a backup that is halfway between that good backup date and the last bad backup you attempted to restore. Repeat this until you find the youngest good backup.

PS My post crossed with Norisā€™ above.

2 Likes

I just zipped and uploaded my logs. I hope it helps track down the issue.

My oldest backup is broken as well =(

Oh and BTW: It was mentioned that database corruption could be due to failing hardware or loss of power. Iā€™d just like to mention that I havenā€™t had any hardware issues and my Mac Mini is connected to a UPS. Iā€™ve just replaced the hard drive a month ago.

1 Like

Hello @Stormwulf ,

Upon reviewing the diagnostics report, the team is seeing that the database that you restored is showing the same signs of corruption as the previous database.

There are a number of reasons why a Roon database can become corrupted, and this can include failing hard drives, as well as other environmental factors, like power loss, or sync programs tampering with the contents of the database.

Itā€™s extremely hard to know what might be at play here, but what is certain is that when Roon reads the database back, the files are different from what was originally written to the drive, and the changes are significant enough that Roon cannot load the database properly.

There are times when the corruption can be ā€œlatentā€: part of the database is corrupted, but the database can still load. Often, this latent corruption is revealed when Roon updates to a new database format, as this process requires that every record in the database is accessed.

This is likely the case here ā€” The backup that you used to restore was made after the latent corruption existed.

Generally, the solution is to try using an even older backup if you have one in order to use a backup from before the corruption occurred. Otherwise, starting fresh is the second option.

Starting with Build 880, Roon detects database corruption ā€œon the flyā€. So if corruption is detected during a backup or during normal use of Roon, youā€™ll be immediately prompted to restore from a backup.

2 Likes

Thank you for your response, Noris.

I just bit the bullet and started over from a fresh database. Iā€™m sorry to lose all my likes and tagging, butā€¦ it seems that thereā€™s nothing else I can do.

3 Likes

If anyone has successfully used an older backup to get the current version of Roon running again, I havenā€™t heard about it. Multiple reports on this board of fresh installs still not working. You guys have some more work to do on this oneā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s clear that there is nothing wrong with our database itā€™s the bad update and the programming. Why should we as the customer have to do the work. Surely the beta testers should find these problems. As a paid service/software. This is shocking. Used to love Roon but his is unacceptable. I moan when I get to the last straw. I hate saying this and airing but shocking

4 Likes