Updated to 610 and Roon crashes and never plays music

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC i5 / Windows 10 version 2004 / Roon 1.7 build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Telstra Smart Modem 2(Arcadyan LH1000), WiFi & Ethernet connections

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord mscaler via optical into deqx hdp5

Description Of Issue
I have just updated to build 610 and Roon crashes soon after starting. It sometimes get to album and if I press play it will go to the Roon icon loading screen and then crash. No problems like this until this latest update. When I manually type in the ip address it finds it quickly but it seems like it doesn’t hold connection properly. Very frustrating

Hi @STEPHEN_ANDREWS — Would you kindly use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link? Thanks!

Cant you just fix this? I have a pc that doesn’t have a monitor attached to it so it’s hard to get. Obviously your update broke it so cant you fix it up and revert to what you had before? I can see a lot of people are having the same issue so it’s something on your end that has broken it

Regards

Stephen

Build 610 is so unstable. A lot of reports on this. They made massive changes to their product that is keeping people out of Roon

1 Like

I have a 32 bit system as it sounds better. Has 610 killed off 32 bit compatibility? If so I want to revert toan older version

Every build exposes some problems, this one is no different to others.

Sorry for the trouble, @STEPHEN_ANDREWS. While there may be some reports of similar issues, this is not something that is widespread and affecting the vast majority of Roon users. We’ve traced similar reports to a variety of causes and so ultimately we will need a bit more information here to get things resolved for you.

I’ve enabled diagnostics on your account and, the next time your Core is active, a diagnostics report will be sent to our servers from your Roon install. We’ll take a look at this and will follow up soon.

Thanks!

The diagnostics report was received and I reviewed the report with our QA team. It looks like the crash is occurring pretty quickly and we aren’t seeing as much detail as we’d like. We should be able to get a better idea of what might be occurring if we can take a look at Event Viewer logs:

1. Press Win + R and type eventvwr.msc
  2. Press OK – this should open Event Viewer window
  3. From the left sidebar go to Windows Logs > Application
  4. Right click on the Application subsection and pick Filter Current Log... from the context menu
  5. On the Filter tab for the Logged section pick a parameter Last 30 days and press OK
  6. Right click on the Application subsection again and pick Save filtered log file as.. from the context menu
  7. Enter the log file name, for e.g. Roon_USERNAME , and press Save
  8. Send the logs via a shared Dropbox link or any other file sharing service

If you can send these over I’m confident we can get you up and running here, @STEPHEN_ANDREWS. This information will be extremely helpful in allowing us to understand what is occurring.

Thanks!

Here is the Dropbox link

Hi @dylan will leave my server on. Please let me know how you go with logs above

This is coming up on my pc

Is that Teamviewer I see running on your NUC? Are you running the full Roon package under Windows 10 on a headless NUC?

If so, there have been issues with Teamviewer and the graphical UI of Roon reported in the forum before. Personally, I would run Roon Server on a headless Windows 10 device (and set up an auto-logon for Windows), if I had to use Windows 10. Even better, I would install ROCK on a NUC, and have a true Roon appliance.

Hi @Geoff_Coupe I have been running Roon on this machine with team viewer for years perfectly until build 610. The device I have is optimised for sound quality optimising Windows and team viewer is needed as part of ongoing support when it’s needed.

I am not getting rid of team viewer and I don’t believe this is the issue. The issue is from roon playing around with settings since the 610 update which has basically bricked my roon experience and it needs to be fixed asap as I have been off roon and off my music since this update and I am not happy with roon support at the moment. New updates should not brick users experience as I have enough ram and CPU for it to work so it’s roon fault they need to fix.

@STEPHEN_ANDREWS - you’re right, I was thinking of Microsoft’s RDP - that certainly has issues with OpenGL used by Roon’s UI. Sorry for the confusion.

Let’s see what the event viewer logs tell the Roon support team.

@dylan any update?

@dylan it’s been a while and I’m still not on roon. Anything to share or a fix?

Hi @STEPHEN_ANDREWS,

I checked with the QA team today and confirmed that this is with them still. I’ve upped the priority in our tracking system and requested an update, I’ll be sure to get back to you ASAP.

@dylan pretty poor response time from roon. 610 killed my update and now I have been off roon for weeks now

Sorry for the delay, @STEPHEN_ANDREWS.

I met with the team to discuss the status of their investigation. What they’re seeing is there is some artwork in your database that Roon is not able to properly process. It’s hard to say just yet if it’s a corrupt file, or if it’s just an atypical format, but finding and removing this file should do the trick.

In order to pinpoint the image that’s crashing we’ll need to enable some additional logging.

To do this on Win 10 add this argument to Target row in the Roon shortcut on the desktop:

-storagetrace

After this start up Roon like normal and let us know when you see the issue start again. We’ll enable diagnostics to take a look at what is occurring with the additional logging — Thanks!

Hi @dylan I have now done this