Updating to Roon Core to 1.8 stuck in database updating mode

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Win 10, Don’t know the build number as its stuck updating and i have no gui to check

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

After updating the roon core to 1.8. Its been stuck in database updating mode for 3 days and counting.

I have rebooted the roon core machine in the last 30 mins.

The NAS connection is using ethernet. And the roon core machine can access the shared network drive with no problems. Other machines in the network have no problems doing R/W to the NAS.

How large is your local library? Are you referring to the top right spinning wheel (scanning files) of the application window?

It took a little over a day to finish scanning my data. 3 days seems like a long time, but I don’t know.

its about 150k titles. No its an animation right in the middle of a black screen I do not get any UI elements on the screen at all.

I/O on the NAS is barely 1kbps.

Just to be clear, 150k = albums or tracks?

is the core a laptop using wifi, or a wkst hard wired?

150k titles. Its wired. I know the what i need to have an optimal experience with Roon, SSD, ethernet if using a NAS etc. Even if its albums, if the roon core is dicking around with the DB. There should be IO or the local drive and maybe the NAS. But my disk I/O is not pegged neither is my CPU load or memory usage. Which is 16GB.

Its not my hardware or my setup. Its the update. I was running perfectly fine before the update to 1.800

Since I wasn’t getting any help from Roon and there is no phone, or email to ask for support. I had no choice but to uninstall and reinstall Roon Core and to re-add and reanalyze entire music collection again. I’m pretty sure I have to redo all my custom tagging as well.

I was hoping that it could use the roon backups on Dropbox but I could not find the option under settings on how to restore my backup DB.

All in all.

Roon upgrade experience - 1/10
Roon disaster recovery functions - 1/10
Roon support limit to forum - 1/10. If i pay for a service I expect support from the company and not the kindly folk of the forum.

I’ve been using Roon for 2+ years. I wll quit evangelizing it due to issues like this. Its simply not end-user friendly for non techies. Thank you @Swisstrips for trying to help me.

2 Likes

Well I didn’t really provide much help and sorry to hear the situation unresoloved. I didn’t want to make further suggestions as I was unsure in your specific case / where you were stuck that may create addtional problems. Was waiting to see if anyone else would chime in.

However, what I was going to suggest was to uninstall, reinstall and restore db. I had just migrated to a new core server as well as moving entire library AND updating to 1.8. Following the migration steps and library move location steps, it worked great maintaining everything.

If you have a current backup, you should be able to easily recover from this? Did you submit a support request as well?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.