Roon on Windows 11 (Beta)

Roon server does not load in Windows 11.

Is Windows 11 still in beta?

Yes, it is. Official release expected by end of the year, in order for PC vendors to sell new PC’s with Christmas.

Both my Roon Server and game PC are on Win 11 Beta and load Roon fine. Double check your device driver, might need to update.

2 Likes

Same issue here.

Windows 11 beta, Roon was working fine with win11 until roon’s latest update

Now am just getting a roon icon loading screen

Here is my log:
roon log - Pastebin.com

And here is my broo debug:

<uisize>1008x924</uisize>
<window id="5" name="win_apploading" children="2" measuredsize="1008x924" size="1008x924" rootlocation="0,0">
<background>#atom-background</background>
<nodes self_is_ours="true">
<self>RenNode[N7:0, ComputedZ:1, Children:2, Widget:win_apploading(5)]</self>
<children>RenNode[N8:7:0, ComputedZ:3, ExtraZ:1, Children:1, Widget:win_apploading(5)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="2">
<stackpanel id="6" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
</stackpanel>
<vpanel id="7" children="3" measuredsize="500x170" size="500x170" rootlocation="254,377">
<nodes>
<children>RenNode[N10:8:7:0, ComputedZ:4, Children:3, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="3">
<image id="8" measuredsize="500x50" size="500x50" rootlocation="254,377">
<image>large_spinner</image>
<self>RenNode[N9:10:8:7:0, ComputedZ:5, Children:1, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > image(8)]</self>
</nodes>
</image>
<vpanel id="9" children="4" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="504,487">
<nodes>
<children>RenNode[N12:10:8:7:0, ComputedZ:5, Children:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(9)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="4">
<label id="10" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>The new version of Roon you installed requires a database update.</text>
<self>RenNode[N11, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(9) > label(10)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="11" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>Optimizing your database.</text>
<self>RenNode[N13, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(9) > label(11)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="12" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>This improves performance but can take a while.</text>
<self>RenNode[N14, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(9) > label(12)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="13" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>Please be patient.</text>
<self>RenNode[N15, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(9) > label(13)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
</children>
</vpanel>
<vpanel id="14" children="3" measuredsize="600x0" size="600x0" rootlocation="204,547">
<nodes>
<children>RenNode[N17:10:8:7:0, ComputedZ:5, Children:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="3">
<image id="15" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<image>sad_computer</image>
<self>RenNode[N16, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > image(15)]</self>
</nodes>
</image>
<vpanel id="16" children="2" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<nodes>
<children>RenNode[N19, ComputedZ:0, Dirty, Children:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(16)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="2">
<label id="17" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>There was an issue loading your database</text>
<self>RenNode[N18, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(16) > label(17)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="18" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>Don't worry. Roon staff is ready to help, so head over to our community site and [s:text_regular_link]let us know[/].</text>
<self>RenNode[N20, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(16) > label(18)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
</children>
</vpanel>
<vpanel id="19" children="3" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<nodes>
<children>RenNode[N22, ComputedZ:0, Dirty, Children:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(19)]</children>
</nodes>
<children count="3">
<label id="20" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>This version of Roon is not compatible with your database.</text>
<self>RenNode[N21, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(19) > label(20)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="21" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>This usually indicates that Roon was downgraded after installing a version that changed the database format.</text>
<self>RenNode[N23, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(19) > label(21)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
<label id="22" measuredsize="0x0" size="0x0" rootlocation="0,0">
<text>If you need help, Roon staff are standing by, so head over to our community site and [s:text_regular_link]let us know[/].</text>
<self>RenNode[N24, ComputedZ:0, Widget:win_apploading(5) > vpanel(7) > vpanel(14) > vpanel(19) > label(22)]</self>
</nodes>
</label>
</children>
</vpanel>
</children>
</vpanel>
</children>
</vpanel>
</children>
</window>

There’s also a new version of Windows (11) in beta status and it would also be good to know that this too is planned

Roon works on Win 11 as things stand

2 Likes

Excellent thanks

Roon on Win 11 clearly sounds better than Win 10 in my setup.

2 Likes

Season’s Joke!

Thank you - you make my day :star_struck:

Please explain, thanks

It’s a humorous remark.

Should be noted that this is just the Roon Control app and not a Roon Core machine. I havent tried the Core on Win 11 yet.

Thank god for that :sweat_smile:

I appreciate the wonderful job of the mods moving this into a windows 11 thread, but it took it out of support which was what I needed.

Not so sure you will get much support being on an unreleased OS. Certainly not in depth.

Support is a two way street where the support team should care to learn as much about any issue as possible. The fact roon was working fine with windows 11 (as with many other users) until a ROON update should indicate to the support team that a change conflicts with windows 11, a SOON TO BE supported OS. I even included my roon log, and debug code, which is more than most users would provide - in attempts to give the roon team a viewport of understanding as to why this issue occurred on a release candidate of windows. Of course this would only be should they care about fixing problems before they occur en masse. I don’t see your logic in gate keeping a support request simply because of the OS. If we don’t collaborate on these types of topics, progress can’t happen.

I wasn’t gatekeeping, as you put it, just giving my opinion after being on the forum for a long time and seeing how support pans out.

for what it’s worth I have been on the dev branch and just switched over to the beta, and both the remote app and the server have been working fine on Windows 11 (apart from the annoying bug where Roon will try to use an already in use port on first boot that still hasn’t been fixed, but that is unrelated)

I had to remove roon entirely, including settings and databases, run CCleaner to clean tmp and registry, and then I was able to re-install roon and it launches and plays music again - but i’ve lost my playlists and had to reload my library.

Something about the latest roon update corrupted my database, it might have something to do with Windows 11 and/or OpenGL.

in any case, i think roon should also consider keeping playlist information stored on the roon server in XML format and have those handshake with local versions - because having local databases for that stuff only i have run into several problems switching between primary computers.