Upgraded Ropieee to 4.017 and am finding my DAC just disappears as a Roon endpoint

Hi All,

After upgrading Roon (1.8 build 913) I started experiencing short audio dropouts and mangled audio. Thinking this was maybe a compatibility issue I also upgraded Ropieee to 4.017. The problem continued. Given these are now upgraded the firmware in my Denafrips Pontus II DAC was then upgraded. Now with the compelete chain running the latest and greatest I am finding that the DAC suddenly disappears altogether and will not reappear without a Ropieee restart or a putting the DAC into standby mode and powering it on again.

I am using WiFi to Ropieee however this was stable up until the last Roon update a few days ago and these recent upgrade chain of activities.

Any advice around troubleshooting this further, Ropieee logs etc that may assist in determining what piece in the chain is the culprit much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

I had my network connection dropout after the Roon update. Using RoPieeeXL v4.017, Mano streamer>I2S>Pontus. Rebooted my router and not a problem since.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel. Will give it a go. Its odd as spotify works with out issue…it just seems to be Roon and its endpoint that is playing up. Using Spotify through the same chain is OK.

Rebooted the router and the issue remains. The problem also looks to be a Roon specific one. The Spotify endpoint in the same hardware chain works, while Roon is not able to see the endpoint, after it drops out in Roon.

Further investigation…

The roon endpoint drops out from Roon on the macbook I am using as the controlling device. Playback halts.

Restarting roon on the macbook sees the endpoint reappear and playback is possible once more. No change or restart was made in Ropiee, the roon core or the DAC.

Scratching my head now!

Tried another streamer as the endpoint, Auralic G1 β†’ USB β†’ DAC and the dropout problem remains. Also tried Auralic G1 β†’ AES β†’ DAC with same behaviour experienced.

My current troubleshooting of the problem consists of performing the following:

Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Ropieee Roon Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : 20-25 minutes playback fails
Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Auralic G1 Roon Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : 20-25 minutes playback fails
Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Auralic G1 Roon Endpoint β†’ AES β†’ Denafrips : 20-25 minutes playback fails

Spotify β†’ Wifi β†’ Ropieee Spotify Endpoint β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK and does not fail
Roon Core β†’ Wifi β†’ Roon Macbook β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK
Mac Flac Files Shared via SMB β†’ Wifi β†’ MacBook β†’ VLC β†’ USB β†’ Denafrips : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wifi - Auralic G1 β†’ USB β†’ Aqua La Scala DAC : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wifi - Auralic G1 β†’ AES β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wired - Auralic G1 β†’ USB β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK
Roon Core β†’ Wired - Auralic G1 β†’ AES β†’ Aqua La Scala : OK

For the Pi4/Ropieee the solution looks to be moving the USB port the interconnect it using from a USB2.0 port to USB3.0 port on the Pi4. Playback has been running for around an hour without issue this morning. Fingers crossed this is the fix/work around.

Not sure if the behaviour seen in the Auralic is related to the USB port type…