Upgrading main listening room

yes for HiRes ie Roon does the down sample. It means I can stream Hires files to Sonos around the house using Roon. Something I cannot do via Sonos app. For me, it’s the multi room multi streamer capability using ie linn, Rasberry Pi, Sonos Connect and Sonos speakers from one NAS or Online source, regardless or bit depth, were I see the benefit.

For the downsample, my Sonos connect does that directly. I tested it on Qobuz.

I’m using USB. Then it has two RCA pairs as outputs - one set is the Tube and one set is without.

On the interface, I like it, I just think I’m missing something. It is a lot like the old Escient I had as far as artwork. I like the story of an artist, especially for newer artists I don’t know as well.

I’m wondering what interface devices people are using. Here are shot from my mini. I don’t see all those features mentioned above. I’ve been running it since Sunday. I see artists by name, or albums. The cool pictures. I can add albums, which is cool. So I didn’t realize there was a 2018 Boston release with a live concert from back in the day. So I added that. I was a High Rez version of Rush 2112 on Qobuz. So I added that.

On new stuff, I’m a bit stuck. O found a “new jazz” playlist on Qobuz that is decent. One song is pretty neat. But that isn’t Roon, its Qubuz.

I don’t see this idea of suggestions.

With a steam on Amazon though Sonos, I can click on a “station” like say Joe Bonamasa. It is easy to get to and for a while it is entertaining. It mixes similar artists in with Joe songs. I can thumbs down songs I’m sick of. After a year or so, I’m sick of the whole thing - its the same 6- songs. Same with smooth jazz, There is a lot more than Amazon or even Apple stream. I’ve envisioning I can do something like my own channel that used the old stuff I have on FLAC, then adds from Qubuz.

I’m posting shots from my mini. I’ll try with my wife’s full size ipad - if she lets me use it.

My favorite thing to find is a super niche. I like blues, but not old stuff. Basically 45+ year old guys that can really play. I found a guy like Melvin Taylor on Sirius. He is really good. I have 10 others like that. That was from listening to a sirius station, then noting the one in 20 songs I really though stood out. Then tracking down albums. I don’t have sirius at home anymore - that was on Dish, which is ditched. Its been a while since I’ve found anybody good.

IMG_5238 IMG_5239 IMG_5241 IMG_5242

OK. Pick Melvin Taylor as an artist and play one of his songs from Qobuz and be sure you have Roon Radio turned out. For me, the next artist is Duke Robillard. Then Big Bill Morganfield. If you are in the Queue screen of Roon Radio and keep hitting the thumbs up button Roon will keep filling up the queue with other songs/artists it thinks you might like.
Or, bring up Melvin Taylor as an artist and hit “Play Now”. Roon will pick a selection of all the stuff Melvin Taylor has done. Quite often (but not in his case it seems), the selections will also include songs the artist has done with other artists. A guy like Maceo Parker (who played sax for James Brown) will show up all over the place, even with bands like 10,000 Maniacs, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Keith Richards. I continue to be amazed at how you can journey into whole new areas of music by just following hyperlinks, or letting Roon take you there.

I used to own unpowered KEF LS50s with a Naim UnitiQute streamer, excellent bookshelf speakers. Since then, I’ve gone way upmarket with a Linn system for a much bigger space, but the powered wireless LS50s have received a lot of positive reports, they are self-contained and work with Roon.

1 Like

The powered wireless KEF LS50s have the stats I like. Internal amplification. Bi-Amped. Lots of people like them. So I ordered them. I had some points from Best Buy and they toss in the stands. In the near future I plan to downsize to a condo in a building full time. These will be perfect there too.

I hope these have room correction. That has been a huge deal on overall sound quality on various lower end systems I listen too.

This really helps a lot. I was loading up the queue. Just playing one song to start, then letting it go is pretty sweet. The first one I did was a totally different feel. I had some jazz going. It had an acoustic piano in it. The Roon picked some 13 minute super jam with a guy just going cray on piano. wow.

So I never heard of this guy. If I save the album, I’ll never remember the name - its new to me. So I put that some in a playlist, then I can add others to the list. Is there a smarter way?

I don’t know if there are other smarter ways. But that way will work.
You could also create a Bookmark like “New Jazz Guys” and bookmark it. But that isn’t much different than making a playlist. Bookmarks can do a lot more than just enumerate lists, of course.
Also remember Roon will keep track of every track you’ve ever played in Roon. Look up “History” under “Chris’s Stuff” and you can recall single tracks or relive play sessions with a friend.

Check out this resource for some .speakers reviews:

His most recent review sounds like a winner, no pun intended. I haven’t heard them myself:

Thanks. I’m getting the hang of it. There is a lot of stuff that gets burried.

What interface are you using? The iPad mini seems OK, but not great. I have two wall mounted Minis. They fill hoes from the old escient controllers, so they are permanent. I like to have cool graphics going if I’m listening. Then my handheld mini or phone for navigation.

Most of the time I’m using my laptop, which is a Windows SurfaceBook2. It’s also a touchscreen which is helpful. This gives me lots of real estate and all the features. I also use a Fire HD10, which is very good for the price.
I suppose the iPad Pro 12.9" is the luxe experience, but I have enough gizmos to use Roon now.

I think it is fine for detailed stuff. But to just quickly start some music, a computer is not what I like. I’m getting the hang of the iPad mini though.

I did get the KEFs on Tuesday. A bit of a pain to setup, but ok now. Goofy to have a wired between them. They sound pretty good. My room stinks though. Plaster and hardwood. I had them at my office for toubleshooting and they sounded better there. They still sound goo though.

I asked KEF about room correction and there is only basic stuff, nothing with a MIC. They said try a 3rd part app, but no detail. Is there an app that works in this signal path? I’ve seen it on Sonos and Apple wireless speakers. I sort of figured KEF would have it.

Any ideas?