Upmix 5.1 and 7.1 from stereo channel order

When I want a stereo UPMIX with Roon to a 5.1 or a 7.layout, which channel order I get for each from ROON ? So I expect the order L R C ? ? ? ? On which place is the LFE ? I need that because I want to compare the ROON upmix with my Processor upmix. Thanks Robert

This might be of help

As far as I know, Roon does not “upmix”, just down-mixes if needed.

1 Like

Thanks for the info about the file format. Look at that sheet

Roon gives the choice to send stereo content as 7.1 format. So it’s an „upmix“ or not ?
The channel order is important. Tx Robert

Roon doesn’t upmix stereo, unfortunately, although it does allow streaming of 5.1 and 7.1 FLAC files using HDMI. The menu option is slightly misleading as it apparently is just a format marker for the HDMI PCM stream for compatibility with older processors, and I normally set this to “off”.

You need an external processor for stereo upmixing. The original Dolby Surround upmixing wasn’t very effective. However, some of the latest processors, with DTS-X and Auro-3D processing, are really impressive, with immersive audio including height and overhead speakers (9.1.6 or 13.1). Roon just acts as the stereo source.

It is not. Please review the link I provided. That setting is to provide compatibility with some multi-channel devices.

1 Like

For others with similar questions, a related thread (linked below) discussed options for stereo upmixing in detail.

1 Like

Thanks to all and special for rugby for the link. Now I think I got it. ++