UPnP Support (Linn)

@danny, I would be very happy if you come up with a UPnP solution that could be leveraged to support other UPnP and OpenHome devices. I know Roon has no love for UPnP, but UPnP and OpenHome support would open up a large swath of devices to use with Roon, without having to get each individual manufacturer to implement RAAT. (Of course, I’d love to see RAAT supported more widely, and keep harassing my favorite hardware manufacturer about this, but in the meantime any good quality solution that would allow me to retire my Raspberry Pi would be welcome!)

Is there any hope on this front?

UPnP support is not on the roadmap. It is fundamentally incompatible with the principles of Roon.

Who is your favorite hardware manufacturer?

Linn – my main system is really locked in to Linn since I’m using their Exakt digital crossovers/DACs and don’t want to give it up. I also don’t want to give up Roon, though, so for now I’m using a Raspberry Pi into the DSM streamer, which is silly but works. I have been a nuisance on the Linn forum, pushing for RAAT support. Would also be happy to see SongCast supported by Roon if OpenHome remains anathema.

I also have simpler Linn setups in two other rooms in my house, so life would be good if Linn released a firmware update with RAAT support or Roon implemented SongCast.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yah Linn is a tough one… we were all ready to do songcast, but their library was giving us trouble. Then we went on a huge Roon Ready kick and they weren’t interested… the interest comes back once in a while it seems, but then fades.

I’m glad you have a solution with the Raspberry Pi, but yes, it’d be nice to have native networked support.

I want to see RAAT supported in Linn’s DS/DSM devices, but also understand their view; having released OpenHome and SongCast on open terms, it clearly rubs them the wrong way to be asked to support a third-party proprietary standard. I also understand Roon’s reasons for disliking UPnP (and by extension OpenHome), but would be very happy to at least see SongCast support as a stop-gap measure until Linn can be persuaded to support RAAT. It may be irrational, but the thought that I am throwing away some audio quality (however little) by using the RPi into a coaxial or HDMI input, instead of streaming over Ethernet, continues to bug me, and I’m not thrilled about the idea of setting up two more RPis to use in my two other rooms with Linn systems, even though the expense is not great. It would also be great if Roon could directly control the volume of my Linn devices. Hope springs eternal!