Uptone EtherREGEN

I have high hopes for this. But I am under no illusions, it will go back if it doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

I got one also and another for a friend who was traveling at the time orders went live. If it’s great, great if not I’ll sell it or return it…at the take up rate of all 155 sold in 3 mins should be no hassle to move it. We are in the 2nd release after orders went in at the 6 and 8 min marks.

1 Like

Computer playback audio is NRT (Not Real Time). If you use Tidal, start a lengthy track and let it play for 30 seconds and then pull the plug or put the wifi into airplane mode. Let me know what happens.

What is the EtherRegen doing for you at this point? Where is the music playing from?

@Mark_Brown

Do you have any idea what you are talking about or are you just posting after a year because you don’t like UpTone Audio? I am just trying to understand your motives here.

The idea behind the EtherREGEN is block any noise that is coming along with the Ethernet packets to the Ethernet endpoint. There is a technical description on the UpTone Audio web site. Yes, if you interrupt the packet flow you will interrupt the noise as well. But, that is temporary and proves nothing.

I have no idea if the thing works…and you don’t either.

1 Like

How will you know? My simple system sounds flawless to me using headphones. It sounds great through speakers. What is all the noise you people are trying to get rid of? I hear no buzzing, humming, clicking, popping, stuttering, etc. I just don’t get it. Now if it actually did something to improve the sound, I would understand.

@Jim_F

It’s not that kind of noise. It is electrical noise. Do some Google searching to get some education on that subject.

1 Like

What genuinely surprised me about the change I did make was how obvious it was in a closely coupled system. I don’t know if more gains can be had but it is an avenue I consider worth investigating.

What is your simple system made up of?

Then you are fine. Nothing to worry about and no reason to destroy your computer keyboard :grimacing:

Well first of all it depends if you use Tidal directly in the streamer or via Roon for example.

I can give you two scenarios from my system where I can play Tidal directly from dCS Mosaic app via my dCS Network Bridge (NWB). If a start a song in Tidal an pull the plug it will play for around 15s from the buffer in the NWB.
If I play Tidal from Roon and pull the plug from my NWB it will play for the same amount of time but if I pull the plug to my switch that my Roon ROCK and NWB is connected to the whole song is buffered in the Roon Core and will play the whole song before it stops (Roon Core -> switch -> endpoint).

Still the plug needs to be connected for my system to work so not much is gained more than I know how big the buffer is in each component and how Roon works with Tidal/Qobuz and RAAT to dCS NWB in MY system.

Yes I have bought a etherREGEN, some might call me stupid but I dont care so much about that. I dont tend to get to involved in forum stuff as it often will look like this in the end of the day…and please dont take it to seriously :grin:

1 Like

Maybe, Maybe not. I only work with Cisco Nexus 9K,7K, HPE 8230, top of rack core switch/route.

And now you make my point for me in what I quoted from you: All anyone need to do is have someone disable the port while music is playing.

Here’s what I propose: I’ve piles of Cisco 2960, 9 port (8 10/100 and 1 1000/SFP). I can configure for SSH access, send out and have you place this in between your ISP router and your playback machine.

While your are listening I can remote in and shut the port down randomly. You should be able to tell me when the port was shut down. Because using your own quote: " interrupt the packet flow you will interrupt the noise as well"

If you can’t tell me when that port was disabled then what good is this product going to do for you? I would have to relay on a participant no to check out the link and activity lights.

Here’s another question: If you have music stored locally, but the machine is connected to your network, will the EtherRegen help?

1 Like

It should be patently obvious: If you start playback, pull the Ethernet cable and there is zero change in SQ, what the heck is an add on like this going to do for you?

1 Like

Great! The question is: do you have any audio system at all? If so, can you describe?

Audio reproduction is much more than data transmission. The fact that you work with routers and switches means nothing for audio. Ask our IT guy that deals with all networking and computers in our company. Bright guy, but he knows nothing how networking works on audio.

If you have an open mind, even if it’s a tiny little bit that does not mess up with your professional ego:

———-

There are two types of sound-degrading influences the EtherREGEN is designed to radically decrease: Leakage—both high-impedance and low- impedance—and clock phase-noise. The clock phase-noise travels on the Ethernet signal itself and on power- and ground-planes. [Every signal edge coming out of any digital device carries the jitter/phase-noise of the clock used to “clock out” that edge; this shows up on the ground-plane and affects the threshold of chips’ clock inputs. This is an oversimplification of a complex subject; we may publish to our web site a “white paper” and measurements to demonstrate this.]
The circuitry across the moat is designed to eliminate the signal-borne phase- noise from one side to the other. EtherREGEN is mostly symmetrical—there is no “dirty side” or “clean side.” While it works identically in both directions, it is best to have the DAC-attached Ethernet endpoint device (computer/streamer/etc.) alone on one side— typically the ‘B’ side.
The circuitry between ports on the ‘A’ side decreases phase-noise effects to some degree, but not nearly as much as crossing the ‘A’>’B’ moat.
The COMBINATION of the differential isolators and the differential flip-flops is what delivers the unrivaled performance of the EtherREGEN. The differential isolators prevent the data-borne clock signature from getting onto the PCB ground-plane, while the differential flip-flops prevent the signature from getting into the flip-flop’s own internal ground network. It takes both to accomplish the great feats of the EtherREGEN.

I don’t know what’s going to do for me. But I will try, when it ships out in about a month. I explained what it attempts to fix above, which is enough to convince me (and hundreds of people who scooped 455 units up in six minutes) to try. Ultimately, there is no substitute to trying for ourselves, in our own house, with our own equipment. There is zero risk for this to try. Just the shipping back if it does nothing.

1 Like

For critical evaluation I use an Emotiva DC-1 and AKG K701’s. BTW the DC-1 hands down has one of the best HP outs at any price point.

I’m also a DIY builder and my main setup is Curt Campbells Statements. I’m also a designer of a popular dual opposed sub.

In addition to that I’ve implemented AES67 on Nexus and AVB on both Nexus and supported Catalyst switches.

I would say if you start playback and pull the cable and you can’t tell the difference, you can save the hassle of having to send it back.

I’ve heard fiber optic cable and wifi also ‘prevent the data-borne clock signature from getting onto the PCB ground-plane’

Is that entirely true? Wasn’t it the fact that the PSU energising the LPS needed to be of a certain type (earthed negative rather than floating) and that in principle the LPS design was sound?

Don’t miss the forest for the trees here. It directly speaks to how they design equipment: Uninstrumented.

How does your point about the Meanwell SMPS + the LPS mitigate people raving about the improvement in fidelity when the exact opposite happened.

I may be silly this way but I expect a certain amount of quantitative design in products so they don’t produce undesirable audio band when their job is to prevent it.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. All I’m saying is validate your system could benefit. Start playback with something like Tidal or JRiver and have someone pull the plug. If you aren’t hearing any benefit then you can spend the money elsewhere. Like more music.

I’ve no beef. Just a shaker of salt based on that thread were Alex had to finally and publicly admit they had a failure being sold to the market place and people were heaping oodles of praise upon something that demonstratively made things worse.

Remember the LPS was supposed to FILTER that MeanWell SMPS

1: “The output is never connected to the bank that is recharging”

2: " The most important result of the isolation afforded by the UltraCap™ LPS-1 is that it completely blocks the path of AC LEAKAGE CURRENTS"

3: “the fact that the output is isolated from the input (thus not affected by noise of the feeder supply)”

With # 3 the device failed completely. The MeanWell SMPS was certainly noisy. So the solution for the LPS that’s suppose to isolate noisy PS? Get a PS that isn’t noisy.