USB and sample rate conversion

Using Ayre QX8 DAC which support DSD. While I can play DSd128 through USB I hear clicks and ticks.

I wonder what is the problem is and need your knowledge.

Thanks Rony

What is the DAC USB connected to?

music server

What device - you mean the roon server?

If so, what is Roon core running on?

And how frequent are the ticks? (assuming you mean glitches).

pc win10 hard to how often but around evry 20 min

the usb is coneccted to music sever pcwin 10 and the core coneccted to pc win10

Glitches generally mean that the audio data could not be presented to the DAC in a timely manner (assuming no fault with the DAC). On windows, many things could get in the way of that - a common culprit in the past has been system tray printer utilities, but many things can interfere.

Probably best if you describe your whole system in detail when you can - I guess you must be typing on a phone, or something that is difficult to type on which is making this really difficult to follow :slight_smile:

english is not my best subject:

dac is qx8 by ayre which support dsd128 through usb.both server and core are pc win 10. the dsp setting isfor sample rate conversion dsd128.no printer is coneccted to both pcs. the dac is 5 month old so i gusse he is ok.

It might be worth increasing the buffer size in device settings advanced section - maybe try setting the buffer size to 50ms or more instead of the default (click on zone settings - cog icon from the zone speaker icon, then device setup, scroll down and open up show advanced scroll down again and you should find buffer size near the bottom). It may not change anything at all as this setting is not always respected by a device audio driver. If it doesnt help, return it back to its default setting.

Even if this does help, this should work correctly at the default setting, so some investigation of your PC is still useful.

It also may be worth looking though this https://kb.roonlabs.com/Troubleshooting_Audio_Dropouts

This is more about dropouts than glitches which usually have a differnt cause. Glitches are often a sign the computer is under powered (near continuous glitches/crackles), or something else running periodically in the backgound to check some hardware device status is interferring (periodic glitches). Sometime BIOS version can cause this.

You say you have had it for 5 months, when did this start? Can you recall any change (new software or hardware) that was made around the time this started? Also worth checking with the DAC manufacturer in case of a firmware update that may fix a problem.

I suggest filling in the Roon @support template (copy it and fill it in in detail, especially PC specs - processor, speed, ram) - when you create a post in the support section - it gives you this template to fill in. I have flagged them anyway so someone can move this into the support section of this forum.

Copy this bit into your reply:

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Or your friendly neighborhood mod can move it there! :grinning:

@support

2 Likes

thank for your knowlagable answer. i changed the buffer in to 50 ms ;and will see how does it make change

until days ago i was streaming dsd 64 and didnot have a problams.that accure only with usb on dsd 128

kept changing the buffer up tp 500 mls but the problam kept on.i will contact ayre support

Hi @rony_shema,

So we can better assist you, please see the following questions:

• Does this behavior occur when using Sample Rate Conversion with other endpoints?
  • Can you share a screenshot of Device Setup, including DSP settings, for this Zone?
  • Can you share a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to this Zone?
  • What kind of content are you playing when this occurs? TIDAL, Qobuz, or Local content? Does it happen with all content? Where is your local media stored?

1. Have no problems with other endpoints
    2.attachat
  2. Tidal and the content is in hard drive

no problames with other coversion and i use tidal and the content store at the core hard drive 3 T

my system:core-intel i3 cpu 8100 3.6 ghz/ram 8gb win 10 pc
net-speed 40/router vtech dual band ac/switch-linksys lgs, PS ifi/net cables cat 5
bridge-pc win 10/intel atom cpu n2800.1.86 ghz. ram4 gb

Under the DSD settings, you might try setting “Parallelize Sigma-Delta Modulator” to YES and see if it makes a difference.

Hi @rony_shema,

Can you check to see if you are using the newest drivers for your Ayre zone? Is the behavior the same if you bypass the bridge and have the Ayre connected directly to the Core?