USB DAC and Airplay devices disappear in Roon - Windows Core

Looks like @Daniel_Morgado is not alone running into this problem. All of my playback devices vanished. I also run Win 10 (Enterprise 1809) as my core; last OS security update was 2 weeks ago, which didn’t break anything. Now I completely disabled private and public firewalls, which didn’t make the problem go away.

I do have backup. How would I restore from backup, and how would I know which backup to select for restore?


I updated my Ubiquiti NanoHD wireless AP software on the same day that I updated the Win 10 OS security patches, and Roon continued working until now. (I didn’t use Roon this past week becuase of work. Now the audio broke. I don’t know what bugfixes were installed automatically during this time).

Upon further investigating my Roon device listing in the Settings, I found Chromecast (TV stick) listed under Roon Tested, which means Roon still (partially) works. So what disappeared? All my endpoints that I actully use.

I have 1 Schiit Bifrost DAC directly connected to the laptop running Roon Core via USB; and 3 Apple AirPort Express units, and they (all 4 of them) disappeared.

I happen to also have 2 Chrome Audio pucks that were not in use. I connected them to the network, and now I am able to stream through them, which means I still have 2 zones out of music service.

Hi @Tian_Liu I’ve moved your post into its own topic so that we can properly assist. While it may seem that it was the same issue, we feel it is better to assist individually, since every setup is different and there may be other factors at play.

As a first step, have you yet rebooted all devices within your setup (Core, router, endpoints, remotes, etc.)? If you haven’t already done so, could you please power the devices down, unplug them for a few minutes, plug them back in and power them on. Is there any change?

If not, so that we can properly assist, can you please share the following information with us?

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Your network gear (model of routers/switches) and if on WiFi/Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Specify what devices you’re using and their connection types, like USB/HDMI/Chromecast, etc.

Could you also please share a screenshot of the Roon Settings → Audio page so that we can take a look at your devices within Roon?

:pray:t3: thank you!

Thank you @ashley for helping with troubleshooting.

Per your suggestion, I rebooted and re-rebooted all my network and audio devices, including the computer running Roon Core.

Now all 3 Apple AirPort Express units are wirelessly connected to Roon.

There is a remaining problem, which is, the Bifrost DAC directly connected to the laptop running Core via USB is no longer recognized. I spent some time fiddling with the Win 10 driver with no luck, and finally I gave up. I can still get sound from 1 of the Apple AEs for this zone. Additionally, I have 2 extra Chrome Audio pucks. But I prefer AE to CA, because AE always works flawlessly over wi-fi.

I can live with what I have now, and here’s my network setup. Core is connected to the switch via ethernet.

Thanks for the update, @Tian_Liu. How odd that the USB DAC disappeared. I wonder if rebooting the Core device somehow triggered a Windows update?

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path.

I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have and ensure that you connected to your network via a Private network, not a Public one, see this guide for more information.

If that doesn’t help, if you switch out the USB cable and try a different one - does it show back up in Roon?

Thank you @ashley for further troubleshooting suggestions.

I not only have other computers, such as Macs, but also other DACs. Swapping them around makes troubleshooting relatively quick and easy.

It appears that the USB connection to the Bifrost DAC must be faulty. The Mac doesn’t detect it either. The SPDIF connection is still functional.

Please consider the case is closed; and the problem is on my side. - Tian

1 Like

Thank you for the update @Tian_Liu! I’m glad to hear that you were able to narrow down where this issue was occurring! Please let us know if we can be of any more help in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

Unfortunately not the first Schiit USB problem that has occurred.
Good luck with it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.