USB DAC Module in my Lyngdorf 2710?

Just a quick question. Right now I am using a Network streamer / .DAC from Lumin, which I guess is the ROON endpoint in this case.

My Lyngdorf has, what I am told is a very good USB DAC module built in. So if I read correctly at the knowledge base, that USB DAC should work directly with a USB in my dedicated WIn 10PC that I just use for ROON ? Then this becomes an endpoint for ROON ? I believe there is a Lyngdorf Win 10 driver to install.

Lastly, why if most USB’s work, what;s the point of something being ROON ready or not ?

Just a little confused, thanks,
Wayne

That requires a physical placement of the Roon Core computer to be very close to the USB DAC, which is not ideal for a HiFi room and not physically possible in some people’s environment.

Also see Rule 1:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

Your all over the place Peter ! I do have some questions for you I am working on. As always thanks for your input.

A few are Lumin related a few are not and should post those elsewhere. I want to move on and am hung up on some of all this ROON stuff and all the possibilities for operation and exactly what the differences are/

Roon Ready refers to audio devices that have implemented our RAAT protocol directly inside the device, can stream via the network and have been certified in our QA lab.

Roon Tested is similar, but it refers to USB/other devices which have been approved in our QA lab and generally speaking, we have both Roon Ready/Roon Tested devices in the QA lab for support purposes.

More information regarding Roon Ready/Roon Tested can be found here:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Partner_Devices_Matrix

Yes, if the Lyngdorf supports USB input then all you would need to do is install the driver and enable it in Roon Settings -> Audio and you should be good to go. More specifics on how to set up audio devices can be found in our Audio Basics Setup Guide.

The USB module for the Lyngdorf 2170 is indeed very good. I am using this module for years now: the USB module is connected to a USB port from a Synology DiskStation. Roon Core is running on this NAS. A perfect out of the box solution and there is no need to install separate drivers.

The obvious issue with this setup is that the core device, PC, NAS, etc… with fan is right next to or close to your USB device, which I am told causes some issues ?

As above , The obvious issue with this setup is that the core device, PC, NAS, etc… with fan is right next to or close to your USB device, which I am told causes some issues ? I saw your posts before about the 2710, and was going to ask you some questions ? So I assume you are running Roon from a phone or Ipad ?

Never experienced any issues from the fan. The sound quality via the USB port is fine.
Yes I am using an iPhone ánd an iPad as remotes. Working fine. Roon Core on a Synology NAS is possible altough the user library should be not to big.

Hi @Wayne_Fiala,

While you can have the USB attached directly to the Core and that should work as expected, if you’re chasing the best sound quality, you’ll want to insert am Ethernet Roon Bridge device in between.

From the SQ guide:

You can also get there by using Roon Bridge–our lightweight endpoint package. Combine that thing with a Raspberry Pi or Cubox and an audiophile-grade power supply and you have a great little network bridge to use with your existing USB DAC.

Thanks, if OK, maybe I will have a few more questions for you, since you also have the lyngdorf 2710. As I said to Noris there are so many ways to go about this it get confusing

Thanks Noris, But this is where I get so confused with so many options and not knowing enough about them all to make any decision on where I want to take this next. I think I will read through everything again, and make an organized list of questions.

Even on this subject, your discussing the Roon software bridge, but then the re are the other Ethernet to USB bridges like the Rendu’s, SOTN and Allo. Confusing , at least to me.

@Wayne_Fiala
Why shouldn’t you start with a USB module in your Lyngdorf 2170? This is a good choice for a DAC. You can than connect it to your laptop and see how it sounds. Later on you can decide what to do: leave as it is or looking for a Roon bridge or whatever.

1 Like

Hi @Wayne_Fiala,

Sounds like a plan.

All of these devices are running Roon Bridge. You can manually set Roon Bridge up on a Rasberry Pi if you want to DIY or you can buy a pre-built solution from these companies. Popular options include Sonore Micro/UltraRendu, Allo USBridge.

I agree with this, best to start somewhere and connecting via USB would be a good starting point for you, having the USB connection shouldn’t cause any issues. Then once you have used the USB audio for a bit you can look at adding the Roon Bridge down the line for Sound Quality improvements.

Further info. I just got the Lyngdorf recently as my integrated, and it is a great piece, as the room perfect solved a few issues for me in 1/2 hour, so it’s staying. I moved my Lumin D2 streamer/DAC to the Lyngdorf and am running it balanced into the Analog section of the Lyngdorf.

So the question arose do I need the Lumin ? Is the USB in the Lyngdorf as good as running the Lumin hooked up this way ? I lose some featurues if I dump the Lumin, MQA, Streaming features and other built in goodies that the Lyngdorf DAC does not have… Both DACs will process DSD, which is a must.

So you can see where this whole bridge thing came into play, then the thoughts about all the other options that could come into play, instead of using my dedicated PC, NAS, NUCs, etc… It all kind of related.

You can see above what I wrote to Noris I how this started.

Well, you moved yourself in a complicated situation. :smile:
The Lumin is a good DAC. But using this device the music signal is converted from digital to analog (in the Lumin) and then back from analog to digital (in the Lyngdorf which is a fully digital amplifier). I really do not know but probably it is better to keep the signal fully digital one way or the other from begin to the end.

1 Like

Kind of BUT, based on everybody I have talked to and read about there people that have great luck with the analog section of the Lyngdorf. I also used an outside DAC with my NAD M32 all digital unit it it was also great. The change they make is to clean the incoming signal up to get it through Room Perfect, and then back to Analog short and sweet. My understanding is it is a very clean process, so taking an analog signal that is a high quality like from a DSD , does not seem to matter running it through their internal systems . They kind of do the same thing with all incoming digital above 96/24 l lowering them to 96/24 then through room perfect…At least my minor understanding of how it works.

I am curieus about your next decision. Probably you can report us back?

Only you can decide whether it sounds better or not in your setup with respect to your SQ preferences. In spite of following ADC conversion in AV receiver, DSP speakers, etc. there are often reports that an external DAC gives better SQ. If you find that Lumin gives you better SQ this way, I’ll be happy. If not, I’ll respect your decision to remove it from the chain.

Well I fell asleep and 2 AM, got up and payed with all this until 6AM. Here is what I found so far.
First I tried the Lyngdorf ASIO driver. Sounded good, but I could tell by my ears and then neck hurt, it plays a little bright. This has always been a barometer for me, I can always tell. Next I tried Lyngdorf Wasapi driver and it sounded different , maybe better and definitely not bright. Then I switched back to the Lumin running balanced XLR into the Lyngdorf Analog module. I believe at least for right now this was the winner. I had all these set to DSD sampling, except the Wasapi which must not do DSD as it only gave me 384K PCM max sampling no DSD option…

Even though the Lyngdorf resamples to 96K to clean things up to run thru Room Perfect, in my mind the best possible analog or digital signal it receives and then does its internal thing the better. Listening to some you tube from Peter Lyngdorf and talking to somebody from Lyngdorf ,his internal processing of the Lyngdorf does no harm to either USB or Analog input.

Roon makes it pretty easy to sync the same music between all 3 sources 2 USB divers to the USB and the Lumin, and the ability to just switch back and forth between all 3 with the Lyngdorf remote and changing the ROON source. I was using the PC and Ipad testing all this and how they interact,also cool that it still picks up the Ipad as a end point I guess and I literally could be switching between the 2 USB and the Lumin analog and still be playing something thru the iPad speakers !

So that’s it for now, will try again

2 Likes