USB hard drive causing problems

Hi there!

Hope everyone is well. I have RoonServer latest version smoothly running (as a service) on a desktop light version of Ubuntu, sending its signal to several endpoint without trouble. Mainly using Qobuz.

Coinciding with the last Roon upgrade - not on purpose, clearly! - I decided to add my local library using a USB connected SATA drive. I’m able to mount and use the hard drive without any issues on Ubuntu, but is causing RoonServer to crash… it was disconnecting me without apparent reason, and after several tries, unmount the usb drive, and problems disappeared! I couldn’t even get to Setting/Storage instead.

Any ideas why?? Any suggestions on what to try in order to find out what the problem is? My library is only 35 Gb large, and I don’t want to put it on my local SSD drive - although I could test it.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards!

MO

Hi Matias I have moved your request to the Support area or the support team will not see it

1 Like

Hi @Matias_Orchard, can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service).

Thanks @dylan.

Files are here: Dropbox - RoonLogs.zip - Simplify your life

Cheers!

MO

Any news on this @dylan??
Thanks!

Hello @Matias_Orchard ,

Thank you for sending the log set over! We took a look over them, but we are not noticing any crash present. Was RoonServer still crashing before you sent the logs over or was the issue already resolved when you sent these logs?

Are there any more details you can share regarding this USB drive? What is the file system format on it? Are you familiar on how to access system-level logs on Ubuntu? Can you please reproduce the issue, note the exact local time + date of the issue, and send RoonServer + System Level logs for review? This will help us cross-reference the logs for issues.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Thanks @noris!

I believe I had disconnected the drive already, and as I saw the logs being from before doing so, I did not worry about it.

I will try to reproduce the issue, and send every log I can find! Only problem being, I had to get out and am going to be back home for testing only this coming Thursday!

It is a ex mac mini hard drive, that I formatted using ext3 file system. No problems when using the hard drive for other purposes though.

Cheers,

MO

1 Like

Reconnected the drive back, and my roonserver service is already (almost) gone. I can easily navigate through the drive, and no error messages are shown. The only thing I might be noticing is that it seems to be a little slow: not sure why, and I don’t know how/what else to check.

Running sudo service roonserver status gives this, now that the drive is connected:

roonserver.service - RoonServer
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-10-06 23:17:14 -03; 11min ago
Main PID: 9005 (start.sh)
Tasks: 104 (limit: 18792)
Memory: 457.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/roonserver.service
├─9005 /bin/bash /opt/RoonServer/start.sh
├─9009 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonServer.exe
├─9361 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RoonAppliance --debug --gc=sgen --server RoonAppliance.exe -watchdogport=46773
├─9362 /opt/RoonServer/Server/processreaper 9361
└─9402 /opt/RoonServer/RoonMono/bin/RAATServer --debug --gc=sgen --server RAATServer.exe

oct 06 23:19:29 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Started
oct 06 23:19:29 NUC10i7 start.sh[9361]: aac_fixed decoder found, checking libavcodec version…
oct 06 23:19:29 NUC10i7 start.sh[9361]: has mp3float: 1, aac_fixed: 1
oct 06 23:19:32 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Running
oct 06 23:20:32 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Not responding
oct 06 23:20:41 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Running
oct 06 23:24:37 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Not responding
oct 06 23:24:53 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Running
oct 06 23:25:03 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Not responding
oct 06 23:25:29 NUC10i7 start.sh[9009]: Running

And I cannot connect from any of my clients.

Going after the logs now. Keeping the drive connect this time.

Cheers,

MO

Log files are here: Dropbox - 15FDnUlhzq8NLtLpAJzBuQr8dpMDLSuka - Simplify your life

If possible, give me a
smartctl -a -d sat /dev/<usb_hdd_device>

1 Like

Something like this…

Model Family: Toshiba 2.5" HDD MK…55GSX
Device Model: TOSHIBA MK3255GSXF
Serial Number: 40PTT0MAT
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000039 271e07576
Firmware Version: FH415B
User Capacity: 320.072.933.376 bytes [320 GB]
Sector Size: 512 bytes logical/physical
Rotation Rate: 5400 rpm
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is: SATA 2.6, 1.5 Gb/s
Local Time is: Fri Oct 8 01:41:37 2021 -03
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Anything else I’m missing??

I need the whole table of raw values.

This drive was announced in 2008. You have probably used it for more than 10 years. I have 90% confidence that your drive is defective. I only need the raw values to confirm it.

1 Like

Not sure if I should say thank you or not :sweat_smile:

But I guess I need to try a new(er) one. Will do it first thing next week!

Thanks!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.