USB->internal storage transfers on ROCK?

You want “Erase” — that’s Apple for “Format”. After you choose “Erase,” you’ll get a dialog that will let you choose how you want to format, and ExFAT should be one of the choices.

1 Like

Yes I just did that. Still not able to mount it. is that what we need to do?. Its not visible on Finder.

Just to double check i plugged it into PC, and its visible with exFAT. …

Anyways will give it some rest and give it one more shot tomorrow.

Appreciate if you have any other ideas.

Sorry I was doing wrong ERASE. I did ERASE on TOSHIBA EXTERNAL USB 3.0 ETC on level above what i was trying. Sorted. its visible CLEARLY :slight_smile: Thanks for your help! @orgel

MacAir doing the Job.

MacAir USB port - Connected USB 3.0 to ETH adapter -> ETH Wired to my switch (MacAir Wifi turned off) - NAS is being accessed, Toshiba is being written. Although it is going VERY VERY SLOW. I m doing only one folder now. Later I will see if i can connect both MacAir and NAS to the same switch.

Yep. Very slow transfers with Macs. Apparently there is a problem with SMB and Macs.

Actually no to bad, if you connect wire connect Mac ETH to Same switch as NAS.

In fact , after thought,I could have directly connected NAS -ETH-MacAir (Eth-USB adopter) this might be fastest.

I doubt this would work as the extra ports on the NAS are “NORMALLY” not bridged to provide a network connection rather used for lan port data aggregation.

It does work. I had connected NAS ETH Port wired connected (thu adopter ofcourse) to my very old personal PC for data transfer. I forgot about it. I could have used it now for doing the same with my Mac.

You dont need eth-switch / Wifi / nothing. Its direct transfer. Will it be faster ? maybe! Convenient? of course.

I have two disks come up for ripping. I will do and update it here if it worked and was it faster. the speed will be limited by ETH?. USB3 has faster throughput than ETH?

What NAS are you using…I have 3 ports wasting away on my Synology DS1813+ and another on my DS713+ that were at least in the past not identified as usable for plunging in an end point

Putting together a NUC i5 w/ ROCK. See this thread:

Thinking about getting an HDD for internal music storage on NUC.

What’s better?

1 - Internal storage in NUC

2 - External USB attached storage to NUC

3 - NAS (as I have it currently)

https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Storage_Basics

This link describes best. I went with Ext HDD and I like it as its very flexible for MY needs.

NAS - WD. Has one ETH Port. I connect it to my computer directly (thru adopter ETH-USB) and on another USB port, there is Ext HDD for DB transfer.

Ah so while that was active the PC has no connection to the NAS then.

Thanks for the article.

Any 2.5 HDD would work for internal storage on BNH NUC?

I ripped two CDs today on a PC and path for dbpoweramp to Ext HDD. So the music folders were on Ext HDD.

Connected NAS Eth PORT (only port on it) --> Eth Cable --> ETH-USB3 Adapter --> MacAir-USB port.
WIFI OFF (just to be sure not needed).
Connected above Ext HDD to MacAir to USB port.
Transferred Music folder just ripped to NAS which are easily located on Finder.
How was the speed ? No idea it took some (40sec) seconds to transfer two full size Flac Folders.
Very Convenient.

I think So. Since you are asking me, i m responding. There are experts on this forum who has served in Microsoft in exactly Storage part of business.
if you need more info, do search for Internal Storage. you will find interesting reads. Have good day!.

Would this work?

Get a normal spinning disk or an SSD. This is a hybrid, pointless as a storage only drive.

SSD for 2 TB is too expensive. Could you please post a link on the former? I am not very familiar with internal hard disc drives. Thanks!

This has all the links and info you could use in selection.

However, for internal, search for 2.5" internal storage HDD/SSD capacity on Amazon.
SHDD Can be avoided for Rock usage
Toshiba/Samsung,/HGST/Seagate - good rated HDD (spinning)
WD - not so well rated

I’d still love to be able to copy files directly between internal storage and attached drives, or set Roon to back up internal storage to attached drives automatically. @danny – is there a chance either feature could be added?

1 Like