USB port not recognized in Vivaldi or Roon

Hey @Martin_Edelman,

As mentioned in the other thread, I’m going to keep these two issues separate and we will take a look at each one individually. For the Nucleus network issue, please see the other thread.

For the behavior you’re seeing when playing back to your Vivaldi via USB, I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks,
Dylan

Cisco SG 200- 26

Well, that may be part of your problem with losing connectivity. Check the switch configuration and make sure that IGMP snooping and MLD snooping are disabled. In your network configuration with either of those enabled your remotes are going to have a hard time staying connected to your core.

I’d also make sure that EEE/Green Ethernet functions are disabled as well.

Thanks Andrew. However the switch is not the problem since I am running my ethernet cable directly from the Apple Extreme Router to the Nucleus Plus. However, if I choose to utilize the switch in the future these adjustments are very helpful.
Best
Marty

I’d definitely use the Airport Extreme as a firewall/wireless access point, then connected to the switch, and would connect all wired connections to the switch itself. That’s how I have it configured (with a Netgear GS116 switch) and have not had connectivity problems (with a mini running Roon core though).

While I realize that you haven’t had any issues with the Airport, I’ve found it to be the root of many similar issues of intermittent connectivity when multicast is involved (not just with Roon). The Netgear has the added benefit of being a better firewall and having better overall performance (both on Wi-Fi and through the router to the internet). From a networking standards perspective the Apple Wi-Fi products really suck.

As for the switch, yes I would highly recommend a switch plugged into the router with all wired devices connected to the switch, but there’s a key difference between your switch and the Cisco SG200-26. Your switch is unmanaged which means, among other things, it treats multicast traffic as broadcast traffic (multicast packets are always delivered to all ports). The SG200 series switches are managed and in the case of multicast they will attempt to do “smart” things with that traffic. Unfortunately, without some additional configuration they will periodically block multicast traffic to the ports that actually need to see it. Since multicast, in the way that Roon uses it, isn’t a flooding concern on a home network the best course of action is to disable the switch intelligence altogether.

The best overall course of action is to avoid using managed switches in a home media environment as they add no value while significantly increasing complexity… yet audiophiles continue to buy them.

1 Like

Andrew
I have just replaced the Cisco Switch with a 24 port TPlink unmanaged switch TL-SG1024D and also replaced my Router with a netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 model R 7000. I will report back on the connectivity and USB issues.
Thanks again.
Best,
Marty

Andrew
The connectivity issue has been solved by retiring my Apple Router and using the Netgear model you suggested. I will report back on the USB issue.
Thanks for your help.
Marty

1 Like

Great news :+1: