Use Topping D50s with both speakers and headphones?

I’m getting a topping D50s. I use a small Fosi amp for my desktop rig.

How can I get use of both headphone and external speakers?

I understand I may a need a preamp or headphone amp but how would I set this up? Or, is there a way to do this without a headphone amp? Using Grado 60s.

Thanks to all

The D50s is only a DAC. Unlike the DX line, it does not have an integrated headphone amp. If your Fosi amp has a headphone out, then you should simply be able to connect the RCA out on the DAC to the RCA in on the amp.

If not, then you would need to either get a separate headphone amp or replace the Fosi with one that provides that feature. Topping sells the A50s headphone amp, which matches the D50s’ design, but there are others available. I use their L30, but it won’t look the same as your DAC (if that matters to you).

What about a schiit magni 3 preamp? It has a headphone out and I could put after dac/Schitt Loki in signal chain. So: topping—-Loki—magi—-fosi ?

That should work as the Magni has an RCA out which can connect to the Fosi amp, but it seems like having two amps is not necessarily the best outcome. Which Fosi are you using and what type of speakers are they driving for your desktop system? Are the speakers powered by any chance?

I am not familiar with the Loki product. I checked on their website and it looks like it adds some EQ capability. The only thing I would point out is that Roon already has a lot of this capability built-in through its DSP features, which is the main reason I use it.

Using this fosi

2 Channel Stereo Audio Class D Amplifier Mini Hi-Fi Professional Digital Amp for Home Speakers 50W x 2 - V1.0G https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XQGYRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VllLFbYVB4PNC

Q audio 3020i speakers. I understood the magni only to be a headphone amp/preamp. I would use the front jack for the Grados and fosi for speakers.

Yes the Loki is for gentle eq and is awesome.

Got it. It’s a tall stack with four pieces, but (with all the usual caveats of me just being another forum member like yourself) it looks like it should deliver what you need.

The only alternative would be to replace the Fosi with an integrated amp that is capable of driving both your speakers and your headphones, but given you already have it your proposed set-up makes sense.

It’s a nice set-up. I am sure those Grados will be getting a lot of wear once you have it all set up.

Look at the Hersesy over the straight Magni 3. I have one now paired with new SMSL SU9 DAC it’s an amazing package.

Great. Thanks. Unsure of difference but appreciate the recommendation.