Using a Meridian MC200 as a Roon Audio Output

Hi Roon Support,

I am having some trouble attempting to use a Meridian Sooloos MC200 as a Roon endpoint/player/zone.

I’m currently running the latest version of Roon (v1.3, build 276, 64 bit) on a 2014 iMac 5k (macOS 10.13.1). My music is stored on an external USB hard drive connected to my Mac.

I have my MC200 connected to my audio processor (McIntosh MX160) using a digital S/PDIF cable from the the Digital Out output on the MC200 to a Digital Input on the McIntosh. The MC200 is also connected to ethernet and is discoverable/controllable with the Sooloos web interface and ControlMac software. The only zone available in the ControlMac software is a local one. In other words, I can only play content from my MC200 on my computer using the ControlMac client as an output as opposed to my McIntosh MX160.

However, my Roon server running on my Mac cannot find the MC200 as an audio output location. Only my Apple TVs and Sonos devices appear as networked devices in Roon’s Audio Output settings. Further, the Sooloos Configuration Tool software (running on a PC) can’t find the MC200 on my network. Finally, the MC200’s white indicator LED has been pulsing as opposed to remaining solid which implies something is not set up properly.

Do you have any suggestions as to making my MC200 discoverable to Roon? I’ve read about disabling the Core functionality on the MC200 on the Roon and Meridian Unplugged forums but I can’t connect to the MC200 using the Sooloos Configuration Tool either!

I’m really eager to use my MC200 as an audio output for Roon as it’s a high quality audio output option as stated in the Meridian Setup page in the Roon Knowledge Base.

Thank you,

Hi @Hugh_McMillan ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are VERY appreciated!

Moving forward, based on the symptoms of the behavior you are experiencing with the MC200 not being discovered by Roon or the Sooloos configuration app, I can’t help but wonder if something could be blocking the device. Would you kindly verify if the iMac hosting your Roon core has any active firewalls or antivirus applications running on it currently. If it does indeed, please temporarily disable these functions and confirm if the MC200 can be discovered.

-Eric

Hi @Eric,

You’re welcome for the feedback.

I gave Meridian Support a call on Friday and explained the situation of the missing MC200 zone. As it turned out, my MC200 suffered an internal error (well known to Meridian and visible once he knew my unit’s MAC address) that prevented it from broadcasting its local, internal Sooloos zone. Consequently, neither the Meridian ControlMac/PC software nor Roon server application could find my MC200 as an endpoint. I am shipping my MC200 to Meridian for repair and will have to wait a bit longer before I can test it with Roon.

I’ll let you know how I fare once my MC200 has returned and Roon can identify it on my local network. Hopefully, it’s as seamless as the Roon User Guide implies. My iMac isn’t running any firewalls or antivirus applications so I don’t think anything should interfere with Roon once my MC200 is back online.

In the meantime, I’ll use my Sonos devices and Apple TVs as Roon endpoints.

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Hugh

1 Like