Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud

My NAA OS image would be the one. Then it needs one line to hqplayerd.xml that @dabassgoesboomboom probably has more clearly at hand, because I think I’ve seen him posting it earlier too.

1 Like

Thanks @jussi_laako Going to take this one step at a time starting with my Setup 1 changes and moving the Bluesound Node to my IT closet where the HQPe server is located. So I just plug the BS into the HQPe USB input and then what? I don’t see where in the web interface that I specify the Bluesound input. Once I have this working I will move to ordering the Up Gateway for my office. Hopefully @dabassgoesboomboom can assist me in how to get an Apple Music stream from my iPad to flow from the Up Gateway to an input on HQPe server via ethernet. Thanks for all the help with this from both of you.

This won’t work.

Have another read of Jussi’s method which includes his RME ADI-2 Pro

You need either an RME or UpBoard Gateway in between Bluesound and HQPe , for automatic sample rate switching support

I’m assuming you have latest Bluesound Node N130 which supports USB audio output now

I’m away for the next week and don’t have access to my notes

It’s not the kind of thing I know automatically, so I keep notes

When I’m back, I’ll dig up

I’m pretty sure I shared the code either in this thread or my Embedded thread

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom I don’t think it makes sense for me to buy an RME dac just for this purpose as it’s still pretty expensive. And I need a 2nd UP for my office setup if all this works as expected.

Since I now need to get the Up Gateway before I can move the Bluesound I guess that will take at least a few days to a week best case. And it appears that once I get this working I can replicate it in my office setup using a 2nd Up Gateway for direct iPad AM playback. I will say for @jussi_laako benefit that it would be nice if this was a supported ‘feature’ of HQP & NAA so a custom script wasn’t required. Optional web page on NAA OS where this could be configured and then web stack disabled for example?

Have a read from this post onwards (below) from my Embedded thread.

Somebody else was asking me how to hookup everything with the UpBoard Gateway.

I also mentioned some important caveats.

It saves me retyping everything again.

@dabassgoesboomboom Read it. But got snagged here for my setup. You say that you have to edit a Embedded .xml config file to point Embedded at the new UpBoard NAA input. All fine. But what happens when you later want to stream from Roon using this same Embedded server? Does that require manual intervention? @jussi_laako seemed to imply that it did but I thought it could be done via Embedded’s web interface or HQPDcontrol iOS app. I want to be able to leave the Bluesound>UpBoard NAA as the active input to Embedded most of the time for ease of use by my wife. But when I want to stream from Roon I want to do that and then leave the Bluesound as the active input when done. So if you are editing an .xml file on Embedded to dedicated it to the Bluesound input it’s not clear how this works with Roon in the mix using same Embedded. Sorry for all the questions but I need to understand this before I spend $$$ on the UpBoard to make this work. Need Apple Music AND Roon so that is what I am trying to work out. Thank you!

HQPlayer can switch back to normal “playback queue” input automatically. But when you want to switch to a hardware input it needs to be done manually.

Essentially you have a drop-list where you can choose the input to use. You can have as many as you like.

Here’s a default list from Embedded web interface:

1 Like

It is incredibly simple. I wouldn’t be here on the Roon forum and using these features, if it was a pain to switch from Roon to “other” source and vice versa :slight_smile:

More important is to read about the limitations of UpBoard Gateway that I wrote about in the other thread.

Thanks @dabassgoesboomboom Sorry for being slow on getting this. But I guess I need one last question answered. If I use what @jussi_laako said about going the INPUT screen in Embedded to switch from Roon playback back to the Bluesound ‘input’, how does that BS input actually show up on that Embedded drop down? You said I can’t just plug the BS USB into my Embedded server and that I had to use either the RME method or the UpBoard NAA, so what I am doing to add an INPUT to that drop down? You also said that I need the UP or RME for auto sampling rate handling, but the BS is going to be streaming Airplay to the Embedded for upsampling, so does it matter? I get how for my headphone setup I need rate conversion because I will be sending Apple Music direct from the iPad (which handles sending different sample rates) so having the UP or RME in the chain to handle this makes sense. I do happen to have an RME I was using as a DAC for a long time so perhaps I can use that in my HP/iPad AM setup. But the last part of my understanding is how to get any of these INPUTs to show up in that Embedded drop down. I’m happy that Roon/AM switching is easy once I get this working.

You can give it any name you like. It is just one <input> element line in hqplayerd.xml and you can have as many of these you like.

1 Like

Okay. So let’s see if I finally understand and can move ahead with my plan. Here’s what I think I am doing:

For 2-channel system that requires Airplay for my wife: I don’t need sample rate conversion because Airplay doesn’t support this via the Bluesound. So I need to buy the Up Board and go Bluesound USB output to the UP Board. I can then EITHER 1) leave the BS where it is (not in room with HQPe server) and somehow edit a .xml file on the UP running NAA to create an INPUT for HQPe that it will see over the network, right? Or, 2) move the BS to the same location as HQPe and go BS USB output into Up Board and then USB output from Up Board into HQPe server, also correct? Which is simpler and/or recommended for ease of use? If all the above is correct, what are the instructions for .xml file editing on the NAA gateway? If directly connected via NAA USB, I use @jussi_laako instructions to edit the hqplayerd.xml on the HQPe server to create a new ‘INPUT’ so it shows up in the INPUT drop down of HQPe. Where is the Up Board USB input to the HQPe specified in this hqplayer.xml file? How does it know what USB port to switch to when I select the new input from the drop down?

Finally, for my HP setup: I will just connect a cable from my iPad>usb-c since I don’t mind doing that. BUT…I DO WANT sample rate conversion because iOS Apple Music supports this. So it appears there is no way to get this without converting iPad USB to SPDIF and back to USB to my DAC, correct? I have an RME I can use in this scenario but it doesn’t appear to help me because the iPAD is USB output. So I need some kind of USB to SPDIF converter and THEN connect that to the RME where it can convert it back to USB output? Seems complicated.

I feel like I am getting closer to the solution. At least the Roon switching part is resolved. But would be great to resolve the above questions. I ordered the $239 UP Board as you guys confirmed the ease in switching once I get the .xml stuff resolved (which is still unclear). Thanks!

You can give it a name “Bluesound Node input” if you connect the Node to RME ADI-2.

You can call another “iPad input” for connecting iPad to UpBoard Gateway. But I just call it the default USB Audio Class 2 input, because you can literally connect any USB source this method. Sometimes i take the USB cable from the iPad and connect it to my Mac. It all gets piped through HQPlayer.

I asked a question earlier which you didn’t answer.

You have a Bluesound N130 with USB audio output? It is currently working with Apple Music and USB audio output?

Also I mentioned a couple times earlier to read my Embedded about some limitations with UpBoard Gateway. Like if HQPlayer has auto family rate enabled. Did you read my comments about that? That is one caveat of the UpBoard. The RME works better in that regard.

That is correct. Not complicated but needs an extra (small) converter box.

The upside is auto family rate works properly for HQP output.

I don’t think I was clear enough. Sorry about that. I have two setups (different NAA endpoints and different DACs in different rooms) but only one HQPe. I want Apple Music and Roon for both setups. But I only need sample rate conversion for my HP setup because that is what I will use the cabled iPad for and you said iOS supports this. But to answer your question: yes, I have the newer Bluesound Node that supports USB output. I bought that specifically so my wife could do her Apple Music playing via Airplay 2 to our speakers in our living room. We’d also use it for music discovery using AM. But as you know, since it ONLY Airplay then sample rate conversion is not needed, right? So this is why I said I would ONLY use the Up Board and not the RME in this Airplay setup. But I WOULD use the RME for my HP setup because I need the sample rate conversion from the iPad.

I did read your comments about the Up Board limitations. But what I never understood is why does that matter if I’m only using Bluesound Airplay to UP Board? Airplay is 44.1k so maybe I’m missing a key point or limitation but my conclusion is that limitation doesn’t matter in the setup. That said, I WILL BE also streaming Roon with various sample rates to in BOTH setups. But you guys said that Roon handles all this automatically and all I need to do is make sure I switch the input back to the Bluesound/UP Board when I am done so my wife doesn’t have to worry about this. Right?

I will use my RME - same one you have, i.e. 1st generation - in the HP setup using the iPad for sample rate conversion reasons. So am I still good on this plan as described @dabassgoesboomboom ?

Forgot to add…

Is there a recommended USB to SPDIF converter for the iPad to RME cabling? I can look around but since you are doing this @dabassgoesboomboom perhaps you have one to suggest? Thank you.

EDIT: Found this one. Good enough?

Mini XMOS XU208 USB Digital Interface Coaxial/Optical /12S Audio Adapter DSD256

No worries. I have 4 different room setups with only one 11900K HQPe machine. I can feed Apple Music and Roon and Spotify and Deezer to any of the rooms.

If you only want to feed Airplay to HQP at fixed sample rate of 44.1kHz, a much cheaper option is a miniDSP USBStreamer , which is supported by HQPlayer.

No need for an UpBoard or RME in that particular room.

The miniDSP will take TOSlink from the Bluesound Node. And you can just have an RPi4 as NAA “input” to feed your HQPe machine. Or is the HQPe machine in that same room? If it’s in the same room, then direct connection is possible.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

Have a close look at the pics. It features both TOSLink input and output.

So with your Bluesound Node, you’d use TOSlink input of the miniDSP.

As a HQP input, this converter does not support auto sample rate switching. But for Airplay, it’s fixed at 44.1kHz anyway (for now…).

This is also a great little box to use in your other room with iPad, to connect iPad to ADI-2. As TOSlink output, it does feature auto sample rate switching for connection to RME ADI-2 TOSlink input.

You’ve already purchased the UpBoard?

That’s a really versatile unit . It’s even one of the best NAA’s running Jussi’s NAA OS image.

But even 2 x miniDSP USBStreamer’s would work, since you already owned an RME ADI-2.

As I’ve described in this same thread, there are multiple ways to pipe Spotify/Apple through HQPlayer.

1 Like

I have one of these too. It works fine for USB to TOSlink output , just like my miniDSP.

But the miniDSP has the TOSlink input and USB output feature that is supported by HQP. That allows for feeding any TOSlink source (like Node or whatever) through HQPlayer. But without auto sample rate switching.

I mentioned this in one of my earliest posts of this thread.

1 Like

In your particular case of Bluesound N130 Airplay to UpBoard via USB, it won’t be a problem.

If Apple releases Airplay 3 and your N130 gets the update for hi-res over Airplay, then you will want to disable auto family rate in HQPlayer. So that HQPlayer outputs a fixed sample rate. That’s the limitation I’ve described. Setting a fixed HQP output sample rate is not a problem for me. My 11900K can handle the increased CPU load of converter 48k rate to DSD256x44.1k (auto family rate turned off) but some CPUs might struggle with this.

I did. So I think I will just bypass using TOSLINK altogether since I don’t think I need it. Please confirm though…

I think I use the UP Board for the Bluesound USB connection to my setup 1 room. Again, I could do this over ethernet from the UP Board using NAA or just direct connect to HQPe via USB if I am willing to move my Bluesound to same room (doesn’t really matter since all my wife sees is the Airplay 2 device from her phone).

But I think I hit another snag with the iPad/HP setup using the RME as the sample rate converter. And maybe I am just confusing myself. But I will have a short cable from the iPad at my desk going to the XMOS USB>SPDIF converter and then into the RME COAX input (same function as your toslink box) But how does the USB output from my RME get to the HQPe server again? The RME would be sitting on my desk obviously but the HQPe is in a different room. Is that where I would use a RP4 running NAA? So the RME usb output goes into the RPI4 and then over ethernet to the HPQe as a ‘INPUT’?

Definitely going to need your help @dabassgoesboomboom on the edits to whatever .xml files are required for this to all work. I’ve read all the previous posts from this thread and some from the Embedded thread but nowhere did I see specific details about how to edit these files to make this all work. Perhaps I missed.