Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

You also might need to check RME settings to ‘output’ audio over USB.

YOu might need to refer to manual.

I don’t have Pro model but for me I have ‘loopback to USB’ off. Doesn’t need to be on to work for me.

Source for me is set to optical source at the moment

I wonder if this is channel offset. In the code I gave you it is =4

Check your Pro manual for which input corresponds to channel offset

Can you also put something into the optical input of RME and try?

To be honest: the ADI-2 pro is so complicated (and new for me), so I don’t understand a lot in the manual or in the settings. :confused:

Needs some days of testing, playing and evaluation to get it fixed. Maybe @jussi_laako can help because he is using the ADI-2 pro. Actual I’m lost, but thank you.

And I don’t have an optical source, sorry.

Are you selecting AES input on the RME? As your source

And you already have AES source playing?

Do all this before you start up HQPlayer.

It seems much easier on my non-Pro model.

But I think if you look at Chapter 17, there’s various ‘modes’. It’s about picking the correct and correct channel offset

I got it working!

First I had to understand the structure of the ADI-2 pro. In USB mode with so called “2 channel mode” only the analog inputs of ADI-2 pro are routed to USB output. So I had to switch it to “multichannel mode” in setup menu. But: this parameter is ONLY changeable if USB IS NOT connected! So I had to pull out the USB cable and then switch to multichannel.

In this mode AES input is routed to “channels” 3 and 4, SPDIF input is routed to channels 5 and 6. These channels are obviously referenced in the networkaudiod.xml

And you have to use “Proxxxxxxxx” (where xxxxxxxx is the serial of the ADI-2 Pro) in this file instead of “DACxxxxxxxx”. Just to document this here for other users facing the same problems.

After this it worked. Including auto samplerate switching, smooth and with all samplerates.

So simple, so complicated if you have problems to understand the internals of ADI-2 pro or the manual.

Thanks a lot @dabassgoesboomboom for your patient help!

2 Likes

Congrats on not giving up !

Now that it’s working, nothing else to do, except enjoy the music!

Except if there is NAA OS update in future, you need to connect to monitor again.

But NAA OS updates are not as frequent as HQPlayer updates. And unless something isn’t working, NAA OS update are generally not as urgent to do.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

And what sources are you feeding your ADI-2 Pro?

Just an AES3 source? Which is what streamer again?

Yes, actual just an AES/EBU source as input. The “streamer” behind this is my Trinnov Amethyst digital output.

A very expensive “AES-to-USB” converter, I know. :joy: But the ADI-2 pro gives me the advantage of automatic bitrate switching in HQP (which I really missed in my former setup with Yellowtec AES-to-USB), a hopefully better signal handling and some extensions for future use.

1 Like

Can I be nosey. Because I’m always interested how/what people feed HQPlayer.

What do you feed the Trinnov? Other than Roon, anything else?

And your main attraction to the Trinnov is it’s Roon Ready + room correction integration, I’m guessing ? Or other things ?

That’s a bit complicated…

I run Roon on an Antipodes S30 server, USB out to a DDC/reclocker (with external 10MHz masterclock) AudioGD DI20-HE. From the DI20-HE the reclocked signal AES out to the Trinnov Amethyst. Here room correction, phase correction and impulse answer corrections are done (which is a big, big sound improvement!) and then AES out to the ADI-2 pro. Following the Raspi4 with HQP NAA image.

After that HQP Desktop on MacMini M1 with DSD upsampling/converting to DSD256. HQP via NAA to Allo USBridge Signature, then via USB to another AudioGD DI20-HE DDC for reclocking and output to I2S with HDMI direct to the DA chip of my DAC.

For me the perfect sounding chain.

Maybe I’ll add 2 second Allo USBridge Signature instead of the normal Raspi4 with the HQP NAA image. But I’m not sure the HQP NAA image works with Allo USBridge Signature. And I’m not sure the clean USB on USBridge Signature is bi-directional, so I can use it as USB input. Things to find out the next weeks.

Next week I’ll start some tests with an Antipodes K40 as HQP machine. I’ll test my filter and noise shapers (poly-sinc-gauss-hires-mp and ASDM7ECv2 upsampling all to DSD256) with the Antipodes K40, but I’m in fear it will not be powerfull enough for these filters.

If the Antipodes can handle these HQP settings I’ll switch from MacMini M1 to the K40.

1 Like

That is a much more exciting answer than I expected ! :smiley:

Regarding the improvement of room correction, 100% agree. Difference for me is it’s all done by HQPlayer as music plays. For any source I feed the RME. Correction filters created by Audiolense XO which includes DSP crossover, individual driver time (phase) alignment at listening position.

Can’t unfortunately. The USBridge Sig is based on RPi CM3 hardware which is Pi3 hardware and there is no longer Pi3 NAA support.

Hope Allo make a CM4 model and then maybe we can use NAA OS built for RPi4 - maybe ask them ! You can use DietPi with 64-bit NAA on it now, and it should sound great. I really like DietPi, it’s very very minimalistic, hardly any background processes. Other than NAA OS, it’s probably the next best thing in my experience.

Interesting question. I don’t think so but worth asking Allo

Good day to all . I recently tried the free 30 day desktop version of hqplayer . I am delighted ! I am using Gustard X26 pro (2 pcs ess9038pro). Lenovo laptop as source. In HQPlayer settings I set adaptive output rate, my DAC supports it, I convert everything to DSD256. although my DAC supports dsd512 sometimes shuts up with it, probably the laptop is weak…

Basically I use the ROON+TIDAL+HQPLAYER bundle, I really like it, I get the maximum. In principle, I don’t need other sources, but I would like to be able to sometimes use Hqplayer along with youtube to watch live versions … I re-read the entire branch and basically understood how this can be done in several ways. video streaming from youtube, how much the sound can lag behind the video?
I am not interested in other streaming without video as my ROON media library is quite large and everything I need is in TIDAL

It’s just that you need to buy additional equipment to check it yourself. So I want to know who did it. It just may turn out that the sound will lag far behind the video and this idea will turn out to be completely unusable … I tried 2 more versions of the virtual cable program to bring the sound from the browser to hqplayer but could not do it

Hi Igor, there is too much lag. You will have ‘lip sync’ issues unless your monitor/screen actually allows to add delays to video.

I think LG TV’s allow this but it’s not common.

The method I shared using Blackhole is for Mac.

Unfortunately I don’t use Windows. Maybe someone else will share.

1 Like

This is where using the RME ADI-2 for HQPlayer “input” really really shines.

Look closely at this pic.

I am ‘casting’ from Amazon Music HD app to WiiM Mini streamer which has optical output to my ADI-2.

You can see there are no cables attached to iPhone and incoming sample rate on my ADI-2 is 96kHz (correct for this album).

Auto sample rate switching works perfectly.

I can even just talk to my Echo Dot and Amazon Music UHD goes out of WiiM Mini, then through HQPlayer and then room corrected speakers or EQ’ed headphones , bit perfectly up to 24/192k

The future is now ! :smile:

4 Likes

Hi @jussi_laako ,

So I know an RME ADI-2 can’t currently be used with single NAA for both NAA input and NAA output.

But is it impossible?

The ADI-2 itself can (bi-directional USB) ? But NAA at the moment can’t

Is this something you could try specific with ADI-2?

Would make ADI-2 much better value proposition as an input, if it can be used with same NAA for output.

It cannot run at two different rates simultaneously. In order to do that, it would need to have two separate clock domains and expose two separate UAC devices. So running full duplex is not very useful for typical HQPlayer use cases (because input and output rates must be same).

2 Likes

Roon really needs the ability to ingest additional signals…. Either digital software, via interface or similar.

You shouldn’t need to buy additional software to do this.

Those running digital crossovers in Roon either via procedural or convolution are input hamstrung.

How much is HQplayer to enable interface input functionality and handling of convolution crossover outside of Roon?

And will Hqplayer allow spare spdif or toslink inputs on my Muto mk5 lite to be ingested into HQplayer>convolution crossover?