Using any audio source with HQPlayer - Spotify, Amazon, Apple Music, YouTube Music, Deezer, Soundcloud [2021-2022]

Hey @Chunhao_Lee were you able to test this playlist with RPi4 uac2 input , from a few weeks ago?

Or temperature issues still persisting :smile:

Hey DaBass <3
Good timing! I ordered a GPIO raiser and now it looks ok and stable. Although it still lacks of 4 pillars but can do the test now. PoE rocks!

Running NAA OS 4.23 for RPi (the PoE fan did spin! LoL). I played each song for 20~30 seconds then jump to the next to test the auto rate function.

Here’s what I’ve found:
Day O: 96KHz, normal
Keep on: 44.1, noise
Love is the message: 48, normal
Get lucky: 44.1, noise
The night in question: 96, normal
Affirmation: 44.1, normal
Talk: 192, noise
Give me the night: 44.1, normal
Square one: 192, noise
Something about us: 44.1, normal
Greed: 48, normal
Still your best: 44.1, normal
Shot in the dark: 48, normal
Giveon: 44.1, normal
New light: 48, normal
Giveon: 44.1, normal
Baby be mine: 96, noise
My first love: 44.1, noise
Seed: 48, noise
Positions: 44.1, noise
Salvation: 48, normal
I dont trust myself: 44.1, noise
PYT: 96, normal
Bet: 44.1, noise
Get on the floor: 96, normal
Undo: 44.1, normal
Let me down slowly: 44.1, normal

The result was quite strange. It seemed not the auto rate issue (some good, some bad). I would point to Apple Music streaming issue…

1 Like

I get same problem with Qobuz Desktop app, where I have same playlist.

Both iOS and Desktop app which has good ‘Exclusive Mode’.

I had this issue with UpBoard Gateway and RPi for past 12 months but finally someone else has reproduced it, with RPi also

So I wasn’t crazy @jussi_laako :smile:

Now that you reproduced it, we can say uac2 input is broken at the moment, so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that needs auto sample rate switching.

For fixed rate it’s fine but there’s other solutions for fixed rate also that are cheaper and simpler

But for now, I’m not aware of any hardware to work with uac2 input with HQP with auto rate switching working without the noise - even though the auto rate switching itself works with RPi4 but not UP Gateway

:grinning:

Thanks heaps for testing @Chunhao_Lee and cool to see PoE works ! I have to buy one to try haha

1 Like

For giggles and just to rule out macOS/iOS issues, I tested the same playlist on Windows 10 Qobuz Desktop - using WASAPI Exclusive Mode feeding RPi4

Identical issues again

Hi,

I received the Holo Spring 3 a while ago. It is connected to the UP squared running the last HQP OS. I usually listen to PCM 44100 KHz upsampled 32X to 1411200 Hz Your assistance with the following is much appreciated:

1. I understand UP has I2S output. Which is recommended, USB or I2S?
  2. What is the difference between Sinc-M and Sinc-MX in the above described scenario? (With regard to number of taps for example)
  3. I remember reading somewhere that Jussi wrote about dac bits to be fixed to 20. What is the reason? Is this applicable in PCM or only in DSD? As I told before, I use Mutec 1.2 as input which is recognized by HQP as 32bit, so does it matter whether to select 20, 16, 24, or default (32)?

Thanks a lot!

UP Gateway doesn’t have I2S? Can you share where you found this?

20bits output for PCM only. This is based on linearity measurement.

For HQP input, you can leave Mutec default bits.

On UP website. Screenshot attached.

Appreciate an answer to my question about the filter differences.

Which specific model UP is that? There’s many UP models

Can you share a link to that model

I’ve seen Jussi comment about I2S vs USB with Holo DACs.

Holo Spring 3’s USB is galvanically isolated and better in terms of clocking.

1 Like

OK, I will stick to the USB then.

Any thoughts about my question above regarding the filters?

I only know what is described in the user manual.

I wasn’t sure what else you were asking.

Did you already see the manual’s description for those filters?

Yes, I had a look at the help page before asking. I don’t understand what is the technical difference.

@jussi_laako

Hi Jussi, your input is appreciated as well.

Thanks.

USB is practically always better than I2S, unless the USB is somehow faulty.

This is explained in the manual. M is always million taps. Mx is like other filters where number of taps is relative to the conversion ratio so the filter response stays the same. Mx is million taps at 1:16 ratio and two million taps at 1:32 ratio.

Because Holo Audio R2R ladder is linear to 20 bits. So we utilize high rates, noise-shaper and just the linear range of DAC to gain lower noise and wider distortion free range. Much more output precision than you would get at 24-bit.

Input device doesn’t have settings for such. So input device doesn’t matter in this context.

3 Likes

Have you used HQPlayer on Desktop or elsewhere, before?

ie how to setup the “Config” screen?

Or you are brand new to HQPlayer world?

Below is an example that you could try to start

What is the DAC you are using?

Assuming you have the right OTG cable with your Android phone, go to the IP address of your RPi4 on another computer/tablet/phone web browser and go to Config page. Press apply (you should see your DDC under ALSA device list.

Then go to “Input” screen and then from the drop down menu, select “USB Audio Class 2” and press apply.

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for prompt and detailed reply
Yes, I am new to HQPlayer and this is my first time.

I am using Singxer SU-6 DDC feeding Gustard X26 DAC on NOS
Will try as per your instruction and feedback on the result.

1 Like

The RPi4 won’t be able to do DSD upsampling so stick to the PCM settings I shared above

@jussi_laako - since @Chunhao_Lee was able to reproduce my issues with RPi4 UAC2 input (UP Gateway’s dwc3 performs worse) a few weeks ago - do you think there’s something that can be done at the HQPlayer end to eliminate this static/noise with sample rate changes?

Or something that might be tricky to solve?

Also, you mentioned interest in other finding devices that might be able to perform like RME ADI-2 regarding HQP input + auto sample rate switching - any products on your current shortlist?

I’m guessing another pro audio interface ?

Yes, it is pretty tricky one, since it doesn’t happen systematically every time. Has it been reproduced with Windows or Linux source? Or is it specific to the Apple’s driver?

RME HDSPe AIO is known another one, on Linux with some limitations due to driver bugs. But I don’t have time at the moment to fix the driver.

1 Like