Using hearing aids with Roon doesn't work [Ticket In]

Hi I have just bought an i pad so my partner can listen to tidal though her oticon hearing aids and have hit the same problem.

1 Like

Hello @Paul_Howell, and welcome to the community! We prefer to keep each customer’s issue separate so you can have our full attention, thus I have moved your comment to your own thread. Can you send me a link to the hearing aids in question so I can look at their specs? Also, do you have any issue playing content outside of Roon from that iPad?

Thank you for your reply. Here is the link to the model and they work fine connected to the I pad direct with tidal, qobus, youtube etc. It’s just when I press play in roon, the songs skip very quickly through to the end of the playlist then stop. No problems playing roon through the I pad speakers when the hearing aids are disconnected either.

Regards Paul

Hello @Paul_Howell, and thanks for sharing that! There’s one more thing we’ll need for the QA team. Could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp (the date and time you reproduce the issue) as well as the track name you use to reproduce the issue. From there, I can enable diagnostics for your account so we can take a look. Thanks!

07.44 hrs on 26 jan I played when we young from the roger waters album is this the life we want. It skipped
to the end of the album. Hope that helps.

Hello @Paul_Howell,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

I have the exact same problem with the same hearing aids.

I’m sure it will get sorted. I’ve not heard back yet with a solution but I’m assuming they’re very busy after the update.

I have just acquired Widex Moment hearing aids. I have set them up properly in iOS via the Accessibilty menu to connect with my iPhone. TIDAL works fine–it thinks it is playing to the iPhone speakers and the sound emerges in my hearing aids. But Roon does not play in the hearing aids; instead, Roon seems to be skipping track after track. I see this is an old topic–was it ever solved? If not, I have the same problem…

I never heard back from them again, I guessed they were busy with the 1.8 update issues. The only way we got round it was to set up roon on my partners android phone as part of a group with the hifi and use the oticon android adaptor. I’m hoping they will fix at some point as that’s why I bought the I pad.

Hi Paul,

You have to include @support in your note.

Pieter

Thanks didn’t realise

This is not necessary for posts made in the Support categories of the forum (as this particular post is). However, in this case it is useful to have Support flagged again.

@Paul_Howell - I see that @nuwriy responded to you initially. Unfortunately, he has left Roon Labs, and it may be that your support request has fallen through the cracks as a result.

Now that Support have been flagged again, I trust that you will get at least an update on your issue.

Hi folks, apologies for the lack of response here. As Geoff suggested, this was previously with Nuwriy and he is no longer with Roon. I went back and took a look at his notes from this, and I see that he did get some feedback from our team on this.

First, I’m hoping anyone experiencing this problem can try something - Can you limit your playback to 48k? Is there any change after doing that?

Based on what we’ve seen so far it looks like these devices aren’t supporting standard audio formats well, but resampling might help.

Limitation to 48kHz doesn’t help to solve the problem. Also limitation to 16bit doesn’t help.

Pieter

Thanks for looking into this, Dylan. FWIW, I have no trouble playing either TIdal or Qobuz directly from their apps on my iPhone. As long as the hearing aids are connected via the iOS Accessibility feature, things just work. For some reason, not with Roon. It’s not that Roon plays a track normally and I can’t hear it. It’s that Roon DOESN’T play the tracks normally–Roon seems to think that each track was played instantaneously and skips to the next track, over and over, until the queue is empty and nothing has actually been played. So, it’s a bug.

Still not working for me either. Solved it by using the oticon connect through an android phone. Not tried the oticon connect through an I pad yet but that defeats the object. as the reason for buying it was that it works directly with the hearing aids.

Dylan, I hope you’re still looking into this. Any progress? Thanks.

Hi All,

I know this is an older thread, but I wanted to see if this issue is still present or if there’s been any change in behavior? If you’re still having issues with Roon and hearing aids, please do let us know, thanks!

Hi Noris
Tbh i gave up waiting. i got round it using an Android phone and the otticon connect Bluetooth Adaptor. I have just tried it direct with the i pad and unfortunately the same issue is still there.

1 Like