Using iPad app to control Private Zones

So just to be clear, you can only use the iOS App to control the Core device?

No you can use it to control meridian endpoints, airplay devices and Roon Server.

Yes, it seems so, I can’t get to my MacMini which is the client with the app, and a NUC as the core. In which case, this is a little disappointing.

So, the behavior of Roon with regards to remotes and private zones hasn’t changed since our launch in May, but I understand for many people this may be the first time you’re running this way, so let me try and explain some of the architecture – I think a lot of people are looking for something that’s coming soon, but isn’t part of the 1.1 or iOS release.

So, on OSX, Windows, and Android, Roon Remote can run its own “private zone”. This zone is private to the remote, and can’t be seen or controlled from any other devices.

Audio outputs connected to the Core can be controlled from any remote – this includes devices plugged directly into the Core (like a USB DAC), or network zones connected to the Core.

Right now, supported network zones include Airplay devices and Meridian zones. In the future, we’ll add RoonSpeakers to the list. The software will be made available for a number of devices and platforms, and it will work the same way as our other supported network zones, meaning if you’re running the Roon interface anywhere on your network (whether Mac, Windows, iOS, Android), you can control the zone.

One way to think of this evolution is that Roon is an all-in-one app – it runs the Core (read: server), runs the interface (read: control/remote), and it owns the audio outputs. The recently released RoonServer app separates the Core and audio outputs, allowing those two components to run in the background, completely separate from the Roon interface.

RoonSpeakers will do the same thing for the audio output, meaning you could have a computer or device in your house that always functions as a full-fledged, remote controllable audio zone for Roon, whether or not you’re also using the device for other purposes (such as running the Roon interface).

Let me know if that’s clear guys.

1 Like

@mike I think we all understand this, but maybe why I am feeling a little disappointed is that there was expectation that the iOS app would control another Mac/PC that in itself is acting as the remote Roon zone, or client, i.e. the current Roon ecosystem. After all, the audio path is shown within Roon on that computer as RoonSpeaker.

There was no expectation that we could suddenly control all manner of endpoints, that has to wait for RoonSpeaker adoption and is understood, but Roon can currently only operate on on a PC or Mac (or Meridian for the few that have that system). It’s a shame that this little part of the overall puzzle was not implemented now.

Please do not take this as criticism, merely as an explanation of the expectation.

The app is superb by the way.

Roon Team has talked about this back in May (or earlier) - See 2nd post by @danny

@AllenB I can understand your disappointment but to be fair to Roon, this is how it worked following the Android App release and I don’t think that there has been an inference since then that the ipad app would change this situation. (When the Android app came out I too thought that I would be gaining this functionality, but again it was an assumption rather than anything misleading) - I think its safe to say that Roon has come along way in a short time and that there’s still a fair way to go before the product is close to the ideal that the developers want to get to. Roon Speakers will be great but I suspect that it will be quite an ambitious goal with staggered releases passing before it pleases everyone (speculation only of course!)

Cheers
Tom

1 Like

@AllenB I share your disappointment on how we hoped the ipad app would work. Still a great product but not complete. I had hoped with the app that Roon would be my 100% go to app. Await developments with interest.

To @gmt and @dshore, of course I should have known to search for answers within the android threads when I own an ipad.

I can understand the confusion here guys, but to be clear 100% clear, this has nothing to do with the iPad app – this part of our platform is under active development, and has been discussed quite a bit.

You would’ve experienced the exact same limitation back in May if you were running Roon on any three devices, although I can understand the confusion if you’re just adding a third device now. I think most of us here are surrounded by so many devices on a daily basis that we’re deeply familiar with this limitation, and perhaps looking forward to RoonSpeakers even more than you guys!

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys – this functionality is coming, and we appreciate everyone’s patience!

Mike: I too overlooked this nuance of controlling a remote instance. Is the interim workaround (until Roon Speakers is available) to make the computer that is attached to the DAC (and the one that you want to control via the iPad) the Core (even if it isn’t ideal for that) and then make the more powerful formerly the “Core” computer a remote instance?

Yes, that would work. If you need some help moving the database over to the computer that’s attached to the DAC, drop me a PM and I’ll walk you through it ok?

This is where my logic is slightly failing me. We already have RoonSpeakers on our Macs or PC’s acting as a Remote zones. The logic to me would have been to get this implemented under the iOS app (include android if you like though I have never used it) and you have a live test bed and extremely happy customers.

The next step would be RoonSpeakers for any manufacturer that wants it, but that could be more fraught with issues of umpteen different configurations. Not saying it will, and I expect it to be a huge hit in the hi-fi world.

I have been happily configuring my system along the lines of a headless Roon server and a Roon client as, in my mind, a perfect setup. The NUC in Tranquil case is a great low power, capable, headless (now) server that can sit anywhere in the house (in my case, next to NAS & router) as a long term solution. My Roon remote is a basic MacMini which I chose to run silently next to the music system (SSD drive), outputting USB via the awesome Uptone Regen. Now this leaves the door open to incorporating all manner of other options when RoonSpeakers becomes available to manufacturers (think possibly Aurender, etc).

The answer is as intimated in the above posts, and albeit temporary, is to move the NUC Roon server next to the music system and hook this up via the USB. The MacMini becomes defunct. I can do this, just that it was not in my plans. Or not use the iPad app until RoonSpeakers is incorporated and brings the private zones into play, which brings me back to where I started, that it is already working in the remote Roon clients. :confused:

As brilliant as the app is, it’s only halfway there.

1 Like

I think you’re missing the point a little. The App is fully functional it is Roonspeakers that is only half way there. As RoonSpeakers is not ready for release yet, would you have preferred to have waited longer for the iPad app to be be released even though it will be useful for a number of people that have Airplay, Core and Meridian endpoints? In the same breath do you think the Android app also been delayed so that the current way to control Roon was via a PC/Mac?

Even if all the products were ready for release there is a logical reason from a support perspective to stagger their delivery.

Cheers
Tom

@Egres

The answers weren’t in the Android thread, they were under Suuport: Zones and Private Zones, but I get your point. Perhaps there should be a sticky with some kind or roadmap or objectives which is easier to find.

Cheers
Tom

@gmt Now that’s not strictly true is it? RoonSpeakers is already released and working, it is in the audio path of my MacMini acting as a remote client. I fully appreciate the staggered release of RoonSpeakers to all and sundry, not much point doing that unless there are apps to control it on other hardware.

What I would have preferred is for the app to work with the PC/Macs that have RoonSpeakers in the audio path as of now, i.e. the remote clients. That is the current Roon ecosystem. From what has been posted, the zones work on the app if you have Meridian or Soloos, but that must be in the minority. It would also have been the perfect test bed for when RoonSpeakers hits the wider audience.

I am not bothered about the android app since I don’t use it and probably never will.

Now if you want to split hairs … :unamused:

@allenB

If you check some of the comments in the following thread, you will see that Roon has specified that the “Real Roonspeakers” has yet to be released and the current version is being used as a test bed for private zones.

What it seems like you are preferring is for something that would have delayed the release of the Apple app. Given the choice of the having the current Apple app now or the Apple App and RoonSpeakers in 3 months, what would you have preferred?

Cheers
Tom

I have not and am not saying delay the app at all, it’s as you said earlier, the app is complete, and it must have been with Apple for approval a good 3 weeks. The app works with zones already judging by a few accounts from Meridian owners. But you have reiterated what I have said more than once now, RoonSpeakers exists in the private zones.

All I have commented on in this thread is that this could have been taken one step further and allowed the app to control these zones already there. Real life testing with the app before the ‘real’ RoonSpeakers comes out.
Maybe there is a technical reason why it can’t, or just the volume of work involved in 1.1 and the iOS app, but it would have completed the circle of what Roon can do now on PC’s and Macs, be it core or remote clients.

It feels like there is a part missing now, the part where the app controls remote clients already out there with Roon on them. But not to worry, I have moved my headless Roon core server next to my system for now, hooked up USB and I can now use the app whilst listening to music and enjoy the great interface on an iPad Mini.

Hi Allen,

What from the outside may seem like a trivial task does in fact require a serious amount of development and testing to implement and quality check. Please don’t confuse those private zones that list as ‘RoonSpeaker’ as true fully functional RoonSpeakers.

There are many that want RoonSpeaker implemented … but none as much as the Roon guys themselves. If it had have been possible then it would have been done already … unfortunately this is not the case and the realities of product development, resource availability and time scale apply.

Glad you’ve got a work-a-round during the interim.

In some ways having Roon core running on a headless unit that is hardwired directly to the main sound system isn’t a problem (all other systems can then be driven as remotes), but I wonder if it meaningfully changes the system requirements for that headless unit? Would you suddenly want a more powerful processor and more RAM that you would otherwise have put into that headless machine?

Stephan, I wouldn’t expect so. The core will always be handling any DSP requirements, the only “additional” burden would be the difference between output to an audio device on the core as compared to, say, a network zone. There will be people using Meridian and Airplay zones at the moment who can tell us their experience, but that doesn’t sound to me like a spec breaking difference.