Using REW to do Room Correction

I had a lot of help in the guide from miniDSP substitute with generic as target.
https://www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-with-rew

However this is after the setup. Here I was helped by going through the guide in REW, but
I would assume that this one, when working with the IMIK microphone is equally helpful, I have not used that, however.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-setup-with-rew

Take into consideration that REW in the help files actually is giving a lot of relevant info about what we are working with when doing this, although it is a bit difficult if the basic stuff is new, helpful because it goes beyond a simple manual of which buttons to press. I would suggest going back and forth between these resources, and play with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What are folks using for bass management ahead of REW if using Roon in the core for the DSP? I have a 5.2 multichannel setup in particular using a miniDSP u-DAC8 which is USB in and analog out. I do have JRMC22 also running on my core i7 server and it can perform bass management, but I assume there is no way to get Roon to run BM through JRMC and then take back control of the stream for REW DSP correction before outputting to the miniDSP multichannel DAC. Thoughts? JCR

Queston for all of you using Roon and REW. I have used REW a bunch to program a MiniDSP. The big difference is that the signal is always going through the MiniDSP so when you make an adjustment you then confirm the result. With Roon you do not get the DSP in REW. Does REW apply the EQ to the test sweep?

Thank you very much. This really was a good starting point.

Does REW apply the EQ to the test sweep?
I am not sure that I understand your question, but if you want to check the difference you need to play a sweep from within Roon, and then make a new measurement with REW. Although I have not tried it, I have seen in other comments in this community that it is possible by recording a trigger signal before the sweep. Maybe other can give a detailed description on how to do this?

How do you export the sweep with timing signal file?

Yes, this is possible.
Select Generator.
In the big drop down, select Meas Sweep.
Click on WAC.
Add timing reference signal.

Then to use it for measuring:
Add the generated WAV to Roon.
Set up REW so it has an output but donā€™t connect it to your system, make it quiet.
Cue up the sweep track in Roon
Got to Measure.
Click on Measure.
Right away, click on Play in Roon.
REW thinks it is generating the signal it is hearing and happily measured it.

2 Likes

I got exporting wav files and importing them into Roon to work, but I canā€™t say I like the sound, it sounds strange. Maybe just looking at the EQ in REW and create your own in Roon is better.

Btw, when creating the filters in REW, what settings is best for ā€œTarget settingsā€ and ā€œFilter tasksā€. I assume ā€œGenericā€ is best to use as equalizer. And what about smoothing, 1/6 donā€™t seem to correct enough, but I heard someone suggesting that.

After som experimenting, I got it sounding pretty good. I used REW + rephrase as described in this link: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/using-rew-and-rephase-generate-amplitude-and-time-domain-corrections-30760/

I compared it to trial version of Dirac, and the differences where small, and Iā€™m not sure which produce better sound. In other words, good enough for free software :slight_smile:

Pretty interesting. I got pretty different measurements doing this through Roon with the timing signal vs just in REW. In REW I got a pretty major suckout at 48hz but with Roon/timing signal I actually had a large peak/mound from 30-50hz.
Donā€™t really matter. It sounds great.

What is the timing signal for and when does one put it in the left vs right channel, particularly for a multichannel system? Thanks. JCR

The timing signal is there to help the measuring system. Necessary when the measuring sweep is played from some other system (e.g. Roon) instead of being fed by REW itself.

It is just there to tell REW when to start measuring. Not involved in music listening.

Here is my before and after room correction with REW, pretty good I think considering I sit in a small room with concrete walls (and whats more, I sit in the middle). Strange that I donā€™t have any apparent nulls (my sub-woofer is below the desk, below the left speaker).

Needlessly to say, the bass is hugely improved now :slight_smile:

Did you measure both speakers together?

Yes, but I will experiment and measure them individually also, see what difference it makes. I will also try a few positions around listening position, like Dirac does, and average them out.

I am a newbie on this stuff, but here is how I got best sound on my system:

1. Use REW with rephase equalizer, and create filters for 20 - 300 hz, creating filters for higher frequency seem to just make the actual audio worse even if it looks like an improvement in REW. I used the default ā€œhouse curveā€
  2. Only take one measurement from all speakers/subwoofers, taking more and averaging seems to destroy the time information (waterfall, phase etc).
  3. Donā€™t try to ā€œfill inā€ null-gaps in frequency, it will only make it worse. I had a gap at 45 hz I tried to manually correct, the result was something that sounded like thunder on some tunes.
  4. Use the REW + rephase guide to improve phases, not sure how much this improves but I think I got a little better stereo separation and detail (could be imagination though).
  5. Zip result waves and select it from Roon.
1 Like

Like a few posters above, I am just getting into all of this. I have Roon, REW and a UMIK-1. I am reading through the REW help document (https://www.roomeqwizard.com, then PDF copy of help file) but am finding it very complicated. I have generated a few test signals and seen some squiggly lines but there is so much information in the 136 posts above that Iā€™m not sure where to go from here. A simple step by step guide for getting the measurements from REW into Roon would really be appreciated!

2 Likes

Totally agree. A simple step by step would be very helpful. For starters, I donā€™t know if I am supposed to run the sweep in my 5.2 array through each speaker separately or together. And how are separate sweeps combined together. Do we take measurements from a single position or multiple around the preferred listening position, and how do they combine together. And do we use REW only up to 200Hz or all the way to 20KHz. Iā€™m sure answers are buried in the forum or elsewhere, but it would be nice to just simply understand what to do. Iā€™m an Audyssey XT32 user for my 2.2 stereo system and it works well and was easy to run and implement. Help us, please! Thanks. JCR

3 Likes

I did as someone explained earlier, exported the measurement tone to a file and played that from Roon, while measuring from REW using a calibrated UMIK-1 microphone. Got the following, not perfect I guess but pretty good:

Had a go at this. Did some sweep tones in REW, took the average, added in a few of my speakersā€™ parameters in the EQ section, and exported, choosing ā€œexporting filters impulse response as WAVā€. A 512KB file was generated. Went to Roon, then DSP settings and loaded the WAV file into the convolution filter. I had to enable headroom management and adjust by around -16dB to avoid clipping. I think that I hear a positive difference when using the filter settings. However, looking at the Parametric EQ settings in Roon, there are 6 peak/dip settings enabled at different frequencies, but the gain for each is 0.00dB. This would suggest that no EQ settings are being applied, or am I wrong? See screenshot for info. Thanks!