Using Roon 1.8 as a Windows Service?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel Nuci78559U, Windows10 Pro, Roon 1.8 build 756

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet (most gears), meshed amplifi hd network. Not relevant I think.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Various Sonos, Chromecast, Pi with Allo hats endpoints. Not relevant I think.

Description Of Issue

Since 1.8, seems to me I can’t run Roon as a windows service anymore. Used to run the 1.7 build with Always Up as a Windows Service to ensure 100% uptime with great success. Can you please check, comment and help?

It is a very difficult matter.
For years I have mentioned to do this.
Technologically it is simple but apparently some of Roon’s prerogatives are so important that it could not be done… Roon probably wants us to be logged in to OS?

Thanks Lonek. Worked for me with 1.7 and a software named Always Up. So I’m kind of curious why 1.8 not anymore.

Hi @Bruno_Standaert ,

We don’t have the Always Up app on our end, but I would check the Roon Database Location and check that you have the latest .exe added to your program, when there are updates like 1.8 the .exe is updated.

Hi Noris,

I have been playing with this… In summary while Roon 1.7 was successfully run as a Windows Service by AlwaysUp from Coretechnologies in Session 0, with Roon 1.8 you need to autologon first. It’s been +3 weeks now & every test made suggest it is OK: the application will automatically start Plex, Roon & Deep Harmony (the Roon Extension for Logitech Harmony) whenever the computer boots. It doesn’t survive user logoffs anymore though; which is a minor issue to me.

Happy again :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.