Using Roon in place of Meridian Sooloos, but having the option to run Sooloos

My current set up is a Control 15 and MD600( with two 4TB drives core and store) feeding an 818v2 endpoint. I backed up my library to a WD Mybook Studio drive and then did an export from Control Mac to a folder I named Roon on that drive. How do I turn off the core of the MD600 and run the Roon library on the MD600 separately from my Sooloos library? I prefer not have to run Roon from my MacBook USB hard wired to the MyBook in order to run Roon. Is this possible to do? I can run the MacBook hard wired to my network or run it wirelessly. I am sure others on the Forum have already solved this, but I am stuck at this stage. How easy is it to point back to Sooloos(core) and run it should I want to in the future. Does the Control 15 continue to see the Sooloos library on the MD600 if I turn off the core? Or will I have to turn it back on to use the C15? Thank you.

@derek_morris Hi, to turn off the core on the MD600 you just have to use the Meridian Sooloos Configure program you can download it here it only runs on a Windows PC, no Mac’s I’m afraid! The C15 will not be able to see the library on the MD600 unless you enable core on the C15 which is easily done. It is not recommended to run Roon and Sooloos at the same time as endpoints can get confused, my suggestion would be to try Roon on your Mac with the library on the WD connected via USB with your 818v2 set up as the endpoint and see what you think? This way there is no need to change your Sooloos configuration at all, just turn the C15 and MD600 off.

Russ

Thank you, Russ. I will try your suggestion this evening when I get home. Simply powering off the MD600 and the C15 will get them out of the way? When I power them back on is there anything special I need to do to get them back to my original Sooloos ecosystem? If I decide to continue in the Roon world can I use my MD600 as de facto NAS? If so, how do I place the exported library onto the MD600 distinctly from the Sooloos library that is on it today? At that point will do I have to point Roon to the folder on the MD600 or will it recognize it sitting on my network? Sorry for all the sophomoric questions, but I am a newbie as far as this stuff goes.

Derek

@derek_morris Best take this one step at a time, in short yes you can use your MD600 as a NAS, as you say you can just turn off the MD600 and C15, I would also reboot the 818, then install Roon and connect the USB drive and add the storage in the Roon configuration, I have sent you a PM with additional contact information, if you choose to go back to Sooloos merely turn off the Roon PC then turn the MD600 and C15 on and you should be back to where you are now.

Cheers

Russ

@Ratbert If the Sooloos Store on the MD600 can now be used as a NAS to point Roon at as a watched folder, that’s something that has completely passed me by. When did that happen and how come there wasn’t a major announcement about it ? :astonished: I remember Meridian hinting that something might be forthcoming in that regard but have seen nothing since,

@jobseeker Hi Paul, have a look at this post. I would still advise using a Qnap instead of the MD600 though.

Cheers

Russ

It is the same as Squeeze LMS using MD600 as a store (you may recall this from HH discussions). As long as files were ripped with a ripper like dbpa then all files in MD600 have meta tags that Roon (and LMS) can read.

If a user used Control PC to rip and import into Sooloos then files have no tags. This would not work the same way. Roon would not gain anything from the Sooloos folder structure as it does with a “normal” artist/album structure and the tags would give it nothing. All bets are off as to what album ID’s Roon would find.

Best advice is to EXPORT NATIVE from Sooloos into a preferred location and then watch that in Roon. It serves as a good backup for Sooloos anyway…regardless of whether you use Roon.

With many thanks to Russ I was able to go from zero to one hundred in terms of Roon and all things Meridian! (It should be a business school case study of how a company like Meridian has really pissed in the faces of its Sooloos customers and told them it’s raining. Horrible In my opinion.) It’s exciting to play around with Roon through the ID41 endpoint (Meridian’s true knitting).

One thing I discovered in the Devices section of my C15 Settings is that I could turn off the core of my MD600 by simply unticking the “Core” box. The C15 loses sight of the library until I recheck that box. Since I have only a MacBook I cannot use the Windows-based config program to disable the core, but that’s a moot point now.

@derek_morris, glad everything is working, can’t believe I forgot to point out that you could disable core on the MD600 from the C15! Sorry about that, I will put it down to my old age…

Cheers

Russ

My son reminds me of my old age every chance he gets for fear I’ll forget… I think it might be time to start thinking of using the MD600 as a NAS and run Roon from my iPad.

Cheers

Derek