Roon 1.7 Tracks skipping premature

Core v 1.7 on Innuos Zen
App. V.1.7 on Android

All is working but one bug: Tracks momentarily skips premature in albums frequently.

Need the rest of the information filled in for anyone to stand a chance of helping

Hi @Torben_Grell,

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Is this happening for all content (TIDAL/Qobuz/Local)? For all endpoints?

Was this working fine before 1.7?

The rest of the information is relatively unimportant, as the only thing changed is the new update. I have a reasonably dependant internet connection, and the server is connected downwards through ethernet and usb cabling.

The problem lies within the app/server software somewhere.

Just tried to report that. Maybe this is the wrong place?

I’m just another user trying to help but I think they ask for the information so they can see a pattern. Look up the information in their support database etc.

Hi @Torben_Grell,

For us to better assist you we would require the above information. I do understand that the only thing that changed is the new update but we need to pinpoint what exactly is triggering this issue and what parts of the app it affects to properly address it.

Answers to theses questions would be much appreciated:

• Is this happening for all content (TIDAL/Qobuz/Local)?

• Does this issue occur for multiple endpoints?

• What is your network setup like, can you let me know the model/manufacturer of your router and how your Core and Endpoints are connected?

Hi Noris

I have a Sagemcom Homebox V5DK45Y router.

It is downwards connected to my Innuos Zen mk. III through a Wireworld
Starlight cat. 8 ethernet cable. The Zen is both a Server and Endpoint.
From there it is connected to my Benchmark DAC 3 through a Wireworld
Starlight USB 2 cable.

I have only been playing from Qobuz when the skipping occurred, but this is also at the moment my main source. It does not occur with every album but it seems to be the second track from your starting point.

I use a Huawei P20 Pro Android as remote as well as an Ipad. I have not experienced the premature skipping when starting an album from the Ipad, but I have only used this with one album on the new version 1.7, so it is not representable.

Hi @Torben_Grell,

Thank you for providing that additional information. I have a few follow-up suggestions:

Is there any change in behavior if you log out and back into Qobuz?

Can you please test this a bit further and let me know the local time + date if you experience any issues on the iPad zone with Qobuz?

Thank you.

I have not experienced any skipping when using the iPad as a remote, but have not yet had the the chance to use it much.

But after having no problems for the last days it just occurred again at 19.40 today when playing an album. This time it skipped in the middle of track two. So there is still an issue.

Btw. I have of course installed the recent updates both on my phone and the Innuos Zen.

Hi @Torben_Grell,

Sorry to hear that this behavior is still occurring.

As a follow-up step, I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your account and what this action does is automatically upload a set of logs to our servers for analysis.

Once this report is received, I will check diagnostics for additional clues. While this occurs on my end, can you please let me know what your reported internet speed is on speedtest.net from a device connected to your network? Thanks!

Hi again

My internet speed is between 25 - 30 Mbps down and 4-5 up. It is fairly stable, and the skipping has not occurred at all before the latest updates.

Within the last week it has (fortunately) only occurred twice. One time last Saturday an now today at 19.55 cet. The latest occurance was in fact when using the iPad as remote.

I hope You can detect, what causes the problem.

Regards Torben

HI @Torben_Grell,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis.

One other thing which might help here - We have seen users have a better experience in the past if they change their DNS servers from the ISP provided ones to Google DNS or Cloudflare DNS. Can you please give this a try and let me know if it helps?

Unfortunately I can’t change DNS servers as it is locked down by my ISP.

I hope your logs can tell what is happening, but fortunately it does occur very seldom now compared to first couple of days after the first upgrade.

Hi @Torben_Grell,

I can confirm that diagnostics have been received on our side and I have forwarded them to the technical team for inspection.

I would like to get the Innuous out of the equation, do you by any chance have another PC around the house which you can use to temporarily host the Roon Core on and connect it in the same way as the Innuous?

If so, can you create a Backup of your database and check to see if the behavior is the same when the other PC is the Core?

Unfortunately I can’t help You with that as I only have a desktop computer which sits in another room.

I hope You can do without.

Hi @Torben_Grell,

Can you please try installing Roon on this desktop PC and let me know if the same behavior occurs there?

You don’t need to connect the Benchmark DAC to this PC, verifying if the same issue occurs when playing to “System Output” (the PC’s speakers) will provide us a very useful data point.

The steps for this would be as follows:

• Install Roon from our downloads page on the PC
  • Connect to the Innuous Core on the “Choose your Core screen”
  • Create a Backup of your Roon database
  • Go to Roon Settings -> Disconnect on the PC
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, select “Use this PC”
  • Verify if the same issue occurs on “System Output” zone

Have you reached out to Innuous about this issue as well?

I don’t think testing on my pc is a viable way to go, as I only use this for developing photos. This means I don’t spend time enough using it to determine if the skipping occurs there too.
Mind You: The skipping happens very rare after the second update, so I would have to spend maybe 10 hours or more in front of the pc, before the incident would happen.

I have not been in contact with Innuos, as I thought You would be in contact with them as a “formal Roon-server” producer. Should I do that?

Hello @Torben_Grell,

Glad to hear that this behavior does not occur very often in your current setup.

This is not an issue that we’re seeing widespread issues of, so the next step here is to identify what makes your setup work differently than the vast majority of Roon users.

While I understand that you may not want to use this PC as your Roon Core long-term, it would be a great data point to know if the same behavior occurs on the PC. We’ve seen some similar issues stem from the use of Innuos Cores in the past, and we generally are not able to support issues specific to these devices since we don’t have these devices in-house.

If this issue happens on multiple Cores that will be an important data point for our technical team to investigate further, but to move forward we will definitely want to know whether this issue happens only on the Innuous or on multiple devices in your environment.

If you have any questions about this test, please let us know!

Yesterday I saw for the first time, what happened just before the premature skipping: The app came up with a warning saying something like “Qobuz is loading …”. I only saw a glimpse, but I guess the essence was, that Qobuz was not loading/serving quickly enough. But a resulting skip seemes a bit odd.

Does this handling lie within your software, or is it solely an Innuos-matter?

Hi @Torben_Grell,

It sounds like you got the “Qobuz is loading slowly, this could indicate a networking or connectivity issue” message.

It’s hard to say why this is occurring, often times this could be due to an issue in the network where the connection from your modem to the ISP temporarily drops off.

If you are able to test the behavior on the different PC as I previously indicated it should help clear up if this issue occurs for another Core and if it does we can focus on the networking aspect further.