Valence Art Director in Roon

now that many artist banners have more or less the most popular image I feel some are not to my liking so I’m again uploading my own into roon. However when doing so the artist picture (the circle one :slight_smile: )is also changed back. Is there a way to keep the one that Valence has and only change the banner? That way I can upload banners with off center compositions that I find way more pleasing and still have an artist visible in the circle

for example:

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-21 om 21.01.05

1 Like

Great examples. I’m close to giving up on this and just adding local images for the artists I care about.

1 Like

He’s talking about local images, not Art Director images. In Art Director, this is easy, but as local edits, you only get 1 image to be used for all the use cases.

You personally are in the top 100 contributors to Art Director, you’ve done a lot! Are you not seeing results in Roon?

There is not. I’ll put it on the list to discuss. It is not our plan to build Art Director functionality inside of Roon.

1 Like

Yes, and it changes every two days! How about instead of locally uploading your preferred image, there’s a mechanism to choose a favorite from Roon’s growing library (where you’d also upload your personal favorite if its missing)?.. you’re going to tell me “wait it out” and the voting will settle, lol.

4 Likes

It is with all voting systems, beta max system is not automatically chosen even it is better than VHS. :wink:
So not always the best photo which is available in Art Director is seen in Roon, only the one which is liked most (by the people who voted). So when you upload photos and people like other low res photos better, than one starts to upload photos locally.

So my question, would it be complicated to implement that everyone is seeing in Roon the picture he has voted for and only those who are not voting will see the photo which is most liked?

Remember my Feature Request - based on my requirement in this area, as it driving me nuts, as to why I am getting different images all the time and not the ones I want associated with the artists in MY Music Library.

I have also suggested two different types of user persona that exist for Roon, see Roon since update - No fun. CDs instead - #8 by simon_pepper

Not sure if Roon use Personas to model how they match feature development to user requirements, but I have found it, as a technique, to work on a number of complex UI/UX based solutions I have worked on during the last 20-years

2 Likes

Thank Simon, I just re-read that suggestion thread; it turned into “if I had any votes left, I’d vote for this”, which is totally my sentiment :grin:

2 Likes

Mike I eventually took one of my never going to happen vote’s and moved it to an unlikely to happen post instead :roll_eyes:

So many great ideas being ignored, just work on a a couple of them.

4 Likes

Same. It’s a shame one needs to be so thrifty with votes, but these are serious times :rofl:

2 Likes

Very true Mike.

Imagine the first pump’s the first time anything we voted for shows up in Roon :crossed_fingers::joy:

You guys act like no one wanted artist photos to be improved. Our top 2 requests for years were related to artist photos (released) and mobile access, which is currently the top voted upon feature suggestion by a ton (it’s currently being worked on).

7 Likes

Well, hopefully mobile access won’t involve valence or voting :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Danny sorry this is a slight piss take as I voted on both of them and I am really enjoying the new artwork.
So continue the good work

Improved being the key word here. Has it improved if it’s a constant battle for a user to get what they actually want displayed. They spend all that energy to then find it’s been changed. I have done some updates myself and it’s a tedious process I must say. Finding artwork at a decent res is not easy and then finding stuff that fits is even harder. I see your motivation for giving this job to the community :slight_smile: I am having to change more as photos that seemed fine before this update now have black borders and look crap. Where they perfect before unlikely not but there where less noticeable. For artists with less followers it only takes a few users to vote for what they prefer and what you worked on is all for nothing.

As I said in a previous post it’s like herding cats getting the community to do this, and popularity doesn’t mean its the best. So allowing users to chose their own from all the stuff uploaded and curated would be a much needed step.

4 Likes

The goal of art director wasn’t customization of your images. It was to fix the missing / badly cropped images. The feature to customize already existed and still does.

I’m seeing the number of adjustments and votes skyrocket, and the number of missing images plummet. Either cats are easy to herd or you grossly underestimate the desire for people to get involved. For example, multiple people have adjusted over 10,000 images!

I have added images, adjusted images, voted for and picked images.
No problem with Valence Art Director showing me, what images are available for the Artists, however, I would still like to be able to select which ones are displayed for me, for as long as I have a preference set, for some artists who are in my Library.
I then have the ability to either review and adjust my preference based on what is then available in Valence Art Director or return back to allow Roon to serve me what is machine/system preference.

1 Like

Is it staying or being phased out. I remember seeing some message related to this with the last update or have I misread?

I can and will not speak to the future, but I can tell you there is no intention to remove the feature at the moment.

Thanks for clarifying.

But the possibility to use own images is quite inferior to Valence, one picture for avatar, wide banner and narrow banner and no adjustment possible.