Valery Gergiev as Composer

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

The Composer is correctly listed as Shostakovich in the source files.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local files

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

As explained above Valery Gergiev is listed as composer rather than , or in addition to Shostakovich I am not aware, in fact, that he has ever composed anything - or anything that has ever been recorded!

Hi @Paul_Williams . Thanks very much for this detailed report. My gut feeling is that this is an important piece of evidence for a bug that I’ve also experienced in my own library. It provides more of a pointer to where things are going wrong.

I’ve raised the issue internally, but I can’t make any promises in terms of our ability to reproduce it, or likely fix timescales (though we’re trying hard to fix this type of quality issue more quickly than we might have done in the past).

In the meantime, can I ask you not to make any edits to these albums? We’d love to be able to fix this and have you confirm the fix. There’s not much you can do anyway without changing your metadata preferences or editing your file tags, which is not something I’d ask you to do.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks - your request is noted.

Here is another Shostakovich album with Gegiev as composer

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I reported an issue with Valery Gergiev being listed as the composer of Shostakovich symphonies across three different albums. This issue has now been listed as resolved and closed. This is not the case - Valery Gergiev is still listed as a composer in the three albums that I provided information for in my previous posting. I have rebooted ROON to no affect.

Content you’re reporting an issue with

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

Hi Paul,

I re-opened the original thread which had been auto closed by the System, and moved your new post to it, so that everything can stay in one thread.

Have you tried re-identifying those albums and seeing if the meta-data updates to the correct meta-data?

1 Like

Hey @Paul_Williams,

Your initial thread may have been closed because the metadata team patched a fix for this report. But none of us seem to have done that, sorry for the confusion, and thanks to @Rugby for reopening your report.

Paul, can you confirm that you’ve entered the composer name as Dmitri Shostakovich on these albums?

If those albums are still displaying Gergiev in the conductor field please go to the individual album pages and click the Ellipsis>Edit>Rescan album. Do this for each of those titles and then check to see if Gergiev is still showing with Dmitri Shostakovich (full name) in the composer field.

Thanks!

I have amended the composer name from Shostakovich to Dmitri Shostakovich which has fixed the additional listing of Valery Gergiev as a composer for the affected albums.

My practice is to only use the surname of composer where there is only one composer with that surname (Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner, Shostakovich) and only use initials when required.

While this has fixed the problem it has not solved the cause!

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation, @Paul_Williams. The larger system fixes that Joel mentioned are still in progress.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.