Vault 2: potential replacement options & backup questions/concerns

Hello all,

I’m currently using a Vault 2, strictly for library storage, that has been serving me well for the past few years, along with a M1 Mac Mini as my Roon Core.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve begun to notice that I’m starting to have some occasional, minor performance issues with the Vault 2, which have me now thinking about next steps and how best to protect my library.

I’d like to buy an external SSD to back everything up to, but, in reading the Bluesound Support Crew help article about backing up your library, it mentions that the ext4 file system “can’t be accessed” by Mac or Windows.

I’m confused by this sentence. If it were unable to be accessed by either OS, how is the internal Vault drive, which in the same format, currently seen by both OSes on my network?

I guess my main question here is well… I’m not really sure what my question is…LOL

What I want is to replace my Vault 2 with some form of network-attatched SSD that can act as the new home for my Roon library, and can be accessible from both MacOS and Windows.

What I do know is that, as much as I would love to, I unfortunately can’t afford a Nucleus. I could go the NUC route, but, then my core and my library wouldn’t be separate.

What’s the best way to go about this (other than a Nucleus), and, also, what’s the best filesystem for the library drive, which would be read/write accessible to both Windows and Mac OS?

Sorry for the lengthy post, and apologies for any confusion…I’m just trying to focus on what I need to know. Thanks, and any help appreciated!

I had the same situation with my vault2i.
I attached a new USB HDD and used the Bluos app to copy the internal library to it.
This new USB was then able to be read successfully by Roon.
In fact it’s still in use now.
I don’t remember all of the exact steps in Bluos but I think it’s pretty straightforward.

1 Like

There are 2 different backup methods for the Vault. One employs BluOS Controller and a USB drive connected directly to the Vault. In this case the backup procedure formats the external drive as ext4 which is a file system not supported by either macOS or Windows – though this can be overcome with 3rd party extensions.

The other method can use a drive formatted for Mac or Windows uses your Mac as follows:

Back up via Computer

1. Insert a USB storage drive into the computer.
  2. Windows: Open File Explorer. Expand Network and double-click the VAULT’s drive.
    3.macOS*: Open Finder. Under SHARED, click the VAULT’s drive.
    4.Note:* If you do not find the VAULT’s drive, perform the instructions in this Help Center article.
  3. Copy the Music folder from the VAULT’s drive to the USB storage drive to create a backup.

Thank you both for the responses and the assistance!

I guess my confusion stems from the fact that the help article states that .ext4 format is not readable by either OS. I need the replacement drive to be both readable and writeable by both OSes just as the internal Vault drive is so that I can edit and manipulated the library via the network on either OS.

Am I making sense or overthinking here?

If the intent is to be able to connect the USB drive directly to both Mac and Windows then use method 2 and keep the drive formatted to FAT32 or a format that can be read and edited by either platform. If only connecting to the Mac for this purpose a drive formatted on the Mac is fine.

Or, maybe exFAT.

The goal would be to have the new drive house my Roon library and be network accessible to all computers and both OSes.

Whatever the easiest way to accomplish that would be. Bear in mind, my Roon Core is currently on an M1 Mac Mini.

Thanks for taking the time.

In that case, I would suggest copying the music to a USB drive in a MAC readable format, exFAT. Plug it up to your Roon Core, and share the drive. That way you can add to it from other PCs and it is local to Roon. Win-Win!

Don’t forget to make backup copies. :smiley:

1 Like

The issue is that exFAT is not readable by macOS without additional 3rd party software.

Oh boy…just went the solution was seemingly within my grasp! LOL
I hope I don’t seem petulant or ungrateful, but, I’d rather avoid 3rd party software.

I think you are confused with NTFS, ExFat is native to MacOS.

MacOS can only reads NTFS Formatted drives, but does read/Write to Fat32/ExFat

My mistake, I mis-read and read it as ext4.

1 Like

No problem we all make these mistakes, I only wish I didn’t :roll_eyes:

I really appreciate everyone’s time here. I’m just trying to learn