Veeping noise every time I am playing a song with Roon

@Michael_M - It occurs to me that while you’re waiting for better advice, you could try a quick experiment.

If the Marantz has RCA inputs labeled CD, then plug the output from your DragonFly into those. This might prevent the Marantz from further processing the DAC signal.

Just a quick experiment to try. Can’t hurt.

Apologies for past confusion.

@xxx

I was offline because I had to by ROON…I had reached the total allowed number of replies and I was told to wait another 19 hours. It is a bit annoying when you try to send a message, you write it, put picture evidence of your setup in and then …you cannot post it. Oh well.

In the meantime I did a bit of testing the above suggestions with some result.

To cut it short:

1. as suggested by Geoff_Coupe above - to us just connect via HDMI works.No veeping noise.

2. I then changed the setting as Dylan Caudill suggested in my MacMini :my MacMini is setup to internal loudspeakers of the Mac.
    I have also taken the Jitterbug away and plugged in my dragonfly directly in the USB bus of the MAC.
    However: Same veeeping noise as before…just a little bit quieter, not so noisy.

3. I checked your suggestion to change the RCA analog input from my assigned number 2 - my evergreen cable is plugged into the RCA input named DVD (number 2 in the Marantz AV8802A) - and I plugged it into the analog RCA input number 1, labelled CBL/SAT. However same result, still a veeping noise.
    Does it have to be the analogue in RCA labelled CD ? Why not use another one of the 6 possible ? The problem is, that I have connected my Yamaha SACD/CD player via XLR cable already into the Marantz AV8802A. So the CD connection is already assigned to the Yamaha XLR analogue in.

@Dan_Brown

Yes, makes sense. Thanks for helping me with that. Thats why I’m here in the forum and I am happy to every advice that tells me, that the result I have is normal.

Back to my main problem:
Is the veeping noise when using a dragonfly ( with or with our Jitterbug before) and plugging it into the RCA analogue in of my Marantz AV 8802A normal ?

Never got this message. I guess you haven’t bought Roon, yet? If you are a paid subscriber there shouldn’t be a cap on the number of posts.

I think that if you use the CD input, because a CD player already processes the signal, then the Marantz might not do any further processing on the RCA inputs. If you try this and there is no veeping, then at least it would seem to be the Marantz processing that’s the problem…

Just an experiment, don’t have to keep that way.

If @Geoff_Coupe’s way works, then you’re good to go, right?

Never had this either. No, I have bought ROON ! And I became after a week or so a lifetime member. …However, I am certainly learning a lot about ROON and digital music etc. still but I want to get it to know ROON perfectly, and I also want it to work perfectly…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Here is the screenshot:

Yes, I am “half” happy. The problem is basically solved with regards to getting rid of the veeeping noise and ROON by just using HDMI.

Thanks for that.

For future reference: this is the setup at my Mac mini (in terms of audio ) which makes the HDMI connection working and which I wanted to post above before I was “forced offline”:

Not yet solved however is the veeping noise in connection with both the Jitterbug and the Dragonfly plugged in…So I will however continue to test the analogue inputs in my Marantz …

I will test your suggestion and get back to you. Maybe I also will need to read in my Marantz manual or check with Marantz community …

Hey @Michael_M,

First I just wanted to let you know that I’ve changed things so you shouldn’t run into that posting limit anymore. Apologies for that!

So just to clarify:

• HDMI works as expected
  • Playing to the internal speakers you experience this behavior, but it is much quieter
  • Still occurs when using Dragonfly connecting to the Marantz

If you play to the Dragonfly but, instead of connecting that to the Marantz you connect headphones to the Dragonfly, do you still hear this?

Thanks!

@
dylan
Dylan CaudillRoon Labs: Support Dylan,

Hey Dylan,

Thanks ! I appreciate that. On my side I have to say that I appreciate all the prompt and good replies I get with regards to my problem. I have read a lot before buying ROON and I also came across a lot of community comments, for example from Slim_Fishguttz, so I am happy that there is a good community out there as well as a good support to solve problems.
Also remember: not all of us are tinkerers, some just want to “plug and play”.

With regards to the problems I cut it short because I have to dash. Second part with long explanations will follow.

It now works - as a result of my ample testing - with the above suggested setup on my Mac mini ( internal speakers etc. see above screenshot) and connection via a) HDMI to my Marantz AV8802A
or alternatively b) with my DragonFly plugged into my Mac directly and then via the evergreen cable directly into the CD port of my Marantz AV8802A.

So yes it works, but the Jitterbug has to be unplugged !

And there are in my opinion very big differences in the “quality of sound” when playing via HDMI or through the Dragonfly.

More later.