Vega G1 keeps losing connection to ROCK / NUC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Running 19 days, 19 hours, 24 minutes, 32 seconds.
Fanless NUC Corei5, SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

• Synology NAS, wired to Gigabit switch
  • Roon ROCK on fanless NUC, wired to Gigabit switch
  • Vega G1 DAC wired to the same Gigabit switch
    All firmware etc. up to date.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Auralic Vega G1 DAC, wired

Description Of Issue

• For the past couple of weeks now, the Vega will stop playing randomly in the middle of a track. This is happening across the board, regardless of file type etc. The only thing that gets it going again, is to press Play in the RoonRemote app on the iPad.

This morning, as an example, I have been listening to music for 3 hours and it has happend half a dozen times.
Nothing in my setup has changed since I configured these boxes in the above manner.
Any idea where I should start looking / troubleshooting?
I have asked the same question in the Auralic support forum, just in case.

If nothing has changed in your setup and you are encountering problems, I would analyze your network operation. Sounds like the network is getting throttled somewhere…

While I am not discounting the possibility entirely, what could possibly be throttling my network if I am only connecting NAS to NUC to Vega via wired ethernet through a single gigabit switch?

There is no bandwidth being used or internet connection being needed (only playing local content). And even it there was, I have a 500Mbs down / 50Mbs up connection also via wired connection…

And the NAS is not doing anything other than provide the music files’ access.

Some ISPs will throttle networks in order to preserve bandwidth and reduce network congestion. I admit it’s a long shot regarding your issue. Are your problems happening during both day and night? If your late nighttime listening is unaffected, perhaps it is an ISP issue.

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

So we can better assist you, would you kindly verify the following:

• Were there any changes to your setup around the time you started experiencing this issue?
  • What is the router that is in use here?
  • What switch is in use?
  • Can you please share a screenshot of the Signal Path when playing to this device?

Dylan,

1. The switch is D-Link GO-60_16G
  2. no changes in setup as stated in the original posting
  3. The router seems irrelevant as it is completely upstream from where the issue is occurring. Again: Vega G1, NUC with ROCK and NAS are all wired to the same 16-port Gigabit switch. The switch is wired to the model (Eurodocsis 3.0 provided by Ziggo).
    Even if there was bandwidth throttling (and a. there isn’t and b. I’m starting out with 500Mbs, so there would be some headroom if there was), what does that have to do with the issue at hand, as I am only playing local content?

I am traveling at the moment so screenshot will have to wait but it could not be more straightforward:
NAS->ROCK on NUC-> Vega G1

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

• Do you have DSP enabled for this endpoint?
  • Are other endpoints playing okay?
  • If you play to this device outside of Roon do you experience any similar issues?

Hi,
No dsp
There are no other endpoints
Nothing else feeds the Vega

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

If you play directly to System Output of a remote device does that have the same issue?

There is other device to play to. Just the chain I have described

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

Just to clarify here, you don’t have any remote devices (Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS) that you’re capable of playing to directly? This test would be a very helpful data point as it would allow us to determine if it’s only the Vega experiencing this issue, or if it’s all devices you try to play back to. Knowing this will help us better understand where things are failing here.

Everything has been rebooted and the Vega G1 is now set to auto-reboot every day at 04.00.
Yesterday I listened for 3 hours without issue. This morning, I lost connection again after 90 minutes of listening, in the middle of a track (a classical album in 24/96 FLAC).

And a second time 45 mins later playing a red book flac.
Roon remote just shows play is paused. Press play and the file continues where it left off.

@Patrick_Van_Osta I think the question by @dylan may help diagnose the issue. It appears you are using an iPad to control Roon playback on the Vega G1. You can configure the iPad as an endpoint for music playback. If you can play back successfully to the iPad, then your issue would be with the Vega G1. If you encounter a similar problem with the iPad, then the problem lies somewhere within your network.

Thanks for the details here, @Patrick_Van_Osta!

As Michael suggested above, it would definitely be good to know if this issue occurs with other endpoints as well. When the Vega loses connection can you play to the output of your remote device?

I have been playing to my Ipad via wifi for the past 5+ hours without dropout.

I would like to output to my windows 10-64 PC as that has decent speakers but I can’t seem to get Roonremote to ‘see’ the PC as a zone. I did install Roon bridge on the PC, made sure it was on the same wifi network and rebooted. Still not showing up.

Never mind. Figured it out (had to enable the PC in the Roon remote app) :slight_smile:

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

Thanks for confirming this! Since this behavior is only occurring with the Vega, I think we should focus specifically on that device any how it’s connected. You mentioned you reached out on the Auralic support forum — Have they responded about this issue?

Not since they asked me to reboot.

I started looking into the network as well. I just ordered a set of new CAT7 cables as a first step. Before I buy a new unmanaged gigabit switch, I hope to hear from Auralic as that then becomes the only remaining possibility (hardware issue in the Vega G1).

Hi @Patrick_Van_Osta,

Definitely let us know how this goes and if there is any change here! Testing for bad cables / bad network connection is definitely a good next step, in addition to getting feedback from Auralic about this.