Verizon FIOS - Quantum Gateway Router G1100 Solve "Poor Connection" Issues with Manual UDP Rule

Verizon FIOS user here who has been having the “Poor Connection” issues with ARC.

Just wanted to post my solution - I’m not sure you actually need to turn off UPnP as suggested here.

The UPnP feature of this router successfully sets up the TCP port forwarding that Roon’s core sets up.

HOWEVER - it does NOT set up UDP port forwarding.

If you go into your router’s admin and manually add the UDP port forwarding using the same port as selected for TCP forwarding, the “Poor Connection” issues go away and ARC works like a charm.

Note I did not have to change any other settings, and didn’t have to turn off UPnP to get this to work.

1 Like

Great info Brian. I too have FiOS. Did you just add UDP or did you have to specify a port?

Hi @Brian_Benitez,

Thank you for your clarifications here. I’ve moved this to the #support:port-forwarding-resources section so it doesn’t get lost as a beacon to other FIOS users. The thread should stay open now.

John - I did set the UDP port to the same port as used for TCP.

Also, there’s a setting buried deep in the FIOS router admin about automatically “cleaning up” UPnP connections. I also turned this off, which seems to have been helpful.

Likely the most stable set up with this particular router is to set the port forwarding permanently/manually, vs. using UPnP due to the oddness of how that works with this router.

1 Like

Thanks very much for this tip. It certainly helped solve my issue with the G1100. I turned off both “UPnP enabled” and “Enable Automatic Cleanup of Old Unused UPnP Services” and manually configured forwarding of TCP and UDP.

In my case, I forward from the G1100 to an Eero Pro mesh system, which has reservations for the core (M1 Mac Mini running Roon Server headless on Ventura) and each endpoint. From the Eero, I forward to Roon ARC on the core, but ONLY TCP. Trying to forward both TCP and UDP causes it to fail. I imagine the G1100/Eero combination may be a common configuration for those on Verizon FiOS.

I anticipated that this would require some tinkering, after Roon ARC failed out of the box. I can certainly see how this would discourage a lot of users. The good news is once working, Roon ARC is absolutely brilliant! Using it on iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16.3 Verizon 5G, mainly in the car over BT, but also just walking around with earbuds/headphones and over WiFi at work.

I’m clearly not a luddite, but the deeper I get into this, the more I appreciate how you can just put an LP on a turnable you haven’t touched for years, and just play music. These days, I wake up each morning, check for updates on all devices, resolve incompatibilities, and say a prayer that it works…

1 Like

Thanks for this. I gave up trying to sort out the G3100 config a while ago and have been using Nord VPN’s Meshnet function to get ARC working. If Meshnet gets funky I’ll go back to these settings recommendations and see if they work.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Port Forwarding Not Working Since Update 1223

FYI, I have the following router:

Linksys AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi 5 Router

My ROON ARC also stopped working after the most recent update and when I found this post, it saved my ROON ARC.

I just set a Port Forwarding rule for the IP address of my server for UDP and TCP as mentioned previously using the same port for External and Internal which I also have set inside ROON for ROON ARC and that automatically fixed the issue. Now it works perfectly again as it did before. Hopefully it should stay that way now even with any future updates.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.