Version 1.8 improved sound quality

My bad. I expressed an opinion and began it with the word “fact”. The word “likely” should have been the clue that I was not stating a fact but using the word “fact” for emphasis. My apologies for the confusion. I can see how it came off as me talking out of both sides of my mouth.

1 Like

There are a lot of appeals to logic and fact in this thread, but precious few actual examples of them.

I’m not saying the Innuos sounds bad or anything, but you’d still need to validate the Roon implementation made by Innuos in this scenario.
Innuos threads the “low power, low noise” path, but their hardware is way below Roons own reccy’s. Perhaps the hardware isn’t up to the task of running both Core and Bridge, and therefore sounds better with a “lighter” Squeezelite client?

BTW, there was some talk of Innuos launching a software of their own, to compete with both Roon, Lumin and Auralic. Have you heard anymore about this?

Fair point about Innuos being below Roon’s recommendation, but compared to other platforms running Roon, the Zenith sounds incredible. It easily trounced a former solution thar at one time had me running Roon Core on a Mac Pro.

Innuos has said only that they will be releasing innuOS 2.0, which has been in development for two years. I’m guessing it will be better than their current in-the-box solution but no way it will have the features that lead me to purchasing a lifetime Roon license. I miss Roon Radio very much.

1 Like

It seems you not even running Roon according to Roons own guidelines for best sound quality. These were already posted above but are you doing this?

Rule 1: Core and Output on separate devices

If you don’t follow Roon’s guidelines it does not seem reasonable to expect them them to improve sound quality for you?

2 Likes

Truth and logic claims are proffered in hopes of advancing the discussion. Both can be challenged directly.

A lawyer’s adage goes something like this: “If the facts are on your side, pound the facts into the table. If the law is on your side, pound the law into the table. If neither the facts nor the law are on your side, pound the table.”

In the same way, if one has the facts on their side, they’ll use those to challenge other side’s facts. Or if they have logic on their side, they’ll challenge the other side’s logic. But if they have neither? It goes without saying.

1 Like

I have tried that and it’s actually worse given my hardware. Please give me the benefit of doubt here that I’ve tried to make this better because I really want to continue using Roon. I’ve exhausted all avenues to the point where I stopped using Roon. I hate the iPeng user experience and really wish I could use Roon instead, but it’s really hard to un-hear the harm Roon does.

I really don’t expect Roon to listen to me. Others have tried and the only result has been them getting attacked here on the forums. The intolerance here to gripes about sound quality is legend. I only chimed in because the summary mail I receive listed this topic so I thought I’d just say my peace and move on.

I should point out that several high end server manufacturers are now in the process of building alternatives to Roon because of complaints from their customers. Roon used to have the support of high end users. We begged them to support Roon.

This author does a great job of articulating what many of us are hearing under “other player apps”. Note that this server meets Roon’s requirements.

2 Likes

Something is obviously wrong with your setup.

2 Likes

Well, the idea behind Roon’s architecture is to keep all of that “business” on Core and then use dirt-simple, ultra-quite, super low-powered, virtually idle endpoint devices to interface with your audio system.

If there are any changes to Roon Bridge and Roon’s SDK for v1.8, I hope that they are for even more simplicity and efficiency. The less Bridge has to do, the better things sound.

1 Like

That’s a fact all right, kind of like the fact that circles are round. In that it doesn’t advance the discussion in any particular direction. I’m pretty sure that if my “system” was a block of wood, jitter and/or electrical noise wouldn’t be a problem.

You’ve described your argument exceptionally well.

Have you compared for yourself Roon’s sound quality to Squeezelite’s?

1 Like

Let’s assume for a moment that both the Roon Core and Squeezelite implementations on your Innuos get the bits to your DAC “bit perfect”. Please explain exactly what you think the Roon Core software is doing on the Innuos to cause the music played by your 2 channel to sound so different? After all, the Roon software is not directly communicating with the USB, AES, or SPDIF interfaces. There is at least one later of abstraction involved. All the Roon software does is hand off the data to a driver…just like any other software on the Innuos.

2 Likes

No, I’ve only compared Roon with Audirvana, Tidal app, and Qobuz app using high resolution and MQA streaming from Tidal and Qobuz to Oppo 203 (ethernet and HDMI), Meridian Prime (MQA), and Dragonfly Cobalt (MQA) from a Roon Nucleus using Sennheiser, Sony, and AEON headphones.

1 Like

I have opinions but I won’t share them as they aren’t pertinent to what I’ve asked of Roon, which is for them to look into the differences themselves.

I can tell you that I much prefer the flavor of Nespresso pods to any K-cup I’ve tried. That I can’t explain why is irrelevant. All I’m asking is for others to do the comparison themselves.

Most folks wouldn’t demand that an explanation be offered for why one might taste better than the other before comparing themselves. In fact they’d probably be eager to try the better tasting one themselves. Those demanding an explanation as to why there might be a difference seem to be aiming to debunk the reasons because they need Roon to sound just as good or better than everything else for other reasons.

1 Like

Nice stuff. How did Roon sound relative to Audirvana? I used that years ago and was quite fond of it.

About the same. Since I can’t listen to both at the same time, I can’t really say one is better than the other. If there is a difference, it would be a difference, not that one is “better” than the other. It all sounds very good with very subtle differences.

Is that actually true? I know that Squeezelite plays from a memory buffer, and this and other parameters were optimized by Innuos. I don’t believe Innuos is able to optimize Roon Core. They simply run the bits given to them. I believe Squeezelite might even be open source, and if so they could perform other optimizations to align it with their OS.

2 Likes

See? There you go again. I know that already. We all know that already.

1 Like

You have a great sense of humor. Thanks for making me smile.

1 Like