Vertical scrolling [Done in Roon 1.8]

I use a trackpad which works just fine.

YMMV

Hi @Ian_Gillan,

Could you clarify what youā€™re requesting for.

• Roonā€™s browsers to vertically scroll rather than horizontal scrolling
    OR
  • To be able to control Roonā€™s horizontal scrolling using the vertical mouse wheel?

Many thanks.

Hey Carl,

I simply mean that if you use Roon App on MAC / PC you cannot scroll through your artist or album list like with a website or a word document. Just scroll with the mouse wheel and the list moves vertically.

Like Auralics Lightning App show on the pic here

Understood, Iā€™ve moved your posts into this existing topic, so all the requests are together.

I came back to this old thread, and made an observation about my recent habits.

When reading a document thatā€™s in pdf format (in my iPad because why would I use a PC for reading) I typically transfer the document to iBooks, because it has a better behavior than either Safari or Acrobat, better understanding of the page layout. If the document is laid out in page boundaries, why would I want vertical scrolling that ignores those boundaries?

But more interesting: I have found that when Iā€™m reading regular web stuff, or newspapers or magazines that scroll vertically within each article, for longer or more important articles I often send them to iBooks too. Safari converts it to a pdf with reasonable page boundaries, and removing ads and navigational chrome. This was not any kind of principled move, I just found it more convenient when reading.

Granted, reading is not the same as navigating a control user interface like Roon, which has a much more lively navigational path. I just thought it was interesting.

3 Likes

You can get vertical scrolling if you rotate your display 90 degreesšŸ˜

vertical paging you mean

Or your head :smiley:

On a tablet, my main remote, horizontal pages have a more convenient feel to me. Itā€™s more like flipping through a book or a magazine.
So, Roon, if you change anything in the scrolling behaviour, PLEASE make it an option. Not like some other changes in the past, that pleases a few loud shouting people, but made it worse for many others,

4 Likes

Roon will realize the urgent need for their interface design / GUI / UX update in next major version. Itā€˜s not just the scrolling that is lacking.
Hopefully the Roon team is aware of this.

I just wanted to register my vote again for vertical scrolling on the desktop and the iPad. Sideways scrolling sucks.

Iā€™m not against it but it seems an odd focus relative to so many higher priorities that relate to real functionality.

Hi everyone, I joint the group requesting vertical scrolling. So much natural. Appreciate some may want to keep the current behavior, hence option would be ideal. Thanks and hope to see this is arriving in the next Roon version

I also vote for vertical scrolling with higher priority for the next release. Horizontal scroll is there in the pad app for some time, so why vertical scroll is missing in the phone app?

I see posts dating back to 2015 but I donā€™t see any from support about fixing this problem.
The horizontal scrolling is just awful, so counter-intuitive and makes the scroll wheel just about totally ineffective. Iā€™ve put my mouse settings on the lowest possible but itā€™s almost impossible to scroll just one page at a time. Itā€™s also so illogical. Just about every other type of software scrolls vertically when browsing, so why an option to do this is not in Roon I donā€™t really understand. Itā€™s not a particularly difficult fix.
Iā€™m currently on a 60 day trial of Roon and so far very impressed, despite the vastly over-inflated price tag. However, if thereā€™s no option to choose vertical scrolling on the Roadmap, then this is probably the deal breaker for me.

I could never get used to the horizontal scrolling, nor would I want too. Please fix this. soon.

2 Likes

To fix something, it has to be broken.
Horizontal scrolling is nothing broken, itā€™s a design decision. Like flipping through a booklet. And with a touchscreen device as remote it is a more natural way to swip left and right (like a book) as up and down.
It is your right to not like it, but please also respect, that other people like it as it is.

4 Likes

A choice would be a good thing. BTW completely changing the way a UI works isnā€™t really, easy to do , when that includes multiple OS, resolutions etc.

1 Like

Most tablet Apps I use, donā€˜t behave like a book and even iBooks let me choose how I can flip my pages.

Youā€˜re right, itā€˜s a design decision. Also which tools roon labs have chosen was a decision, maybe not the best, when changing that behaviour is complicated.

I also donā€˜t like the horizontal scrolling, but itā€˜s not a deal breaker for me. Furthermore I hope they are so quiet here because they work hard on the mobile sync. :wink:

1 Like

I 2nd that! :slight_smile: