Vertical scrolling [Done in Roon 1.8]

Please try reading what I actually wrote, rather than trying to superimpose statements that I supposedly made

At no point have I said that the choice should be denied…I’ve simply stated my preference for the design choices made by Roon

I could also dispute many of your other assertions above…especially if you’re a claimed “App Developer”…but given your two ranting posts so far today, I can see it won’t make any difference

I’m confident that Roon will listen to ALL the opinions here and arrive at what they feel is the best design for all devices

I absolutely prefer vertical scrolling, both on smaller screens (tablet) or larger screens (PC). For me, this is actually something which keeps me from purchasing the product. Personal taste, yes. But the option to choose - would be the perfect solution.

1 Like

Glad you agree Evan. Looks like the majority of users prefer vertical scrolling and would like it as an option.

Yes, it was actually the first thing, that gave me a 'huh?" moment. I’m sure some people like it, but it just ‘feels’ wrong to me going horizontally. I hope the guys at Roonlabs can give a comment on this feature request - to give some indication if/when it will be on the radar.

[quote=“robfol, post:23, topic:821”]
majority of users[/quote]That’s a bit of stretch, as the majority of Roon users are not on this forum and as such have not expressed an opinion. Also as is often the case on forums etc. it tends to be the “unhappy campers” that voice their dissatisfaction … whilst the others (possibly the majority) stay silent.

I do agree that choice, if possible, would be a good thing.

2 Likes

You are missing one (if not the (past)) market leader: Sooloos.
Which scrolls…

1 Like

Choice is good, but for me it has got to match my personality… Horizontal!

2 Likes

I come back now as an extensive user of roon and I still find the switch in parts of the app to horizontal scrolling totally jarring! not to mention unnecessary.

Please once again Dany & Co - make vertical only scrolling a user choice

Thanks R

4 Likes

Horizontal for tablets. And vertical. :smirk:
But vertical for mouse-driven instances : a scroll-wheel logically causes the screen to scroll up & down.
So, best solution is to have an option per install - make it selectable & each device around the home / office / boat / spacecraft can be set independently ! :smile:

1 Like

I agree with @Ronnie, this magazine-style behavior of horizontal scrolling among articles and vertical scrolling within articles is becoming very common and is very appealing. That said, a few observations:

1. The obvious corollary of this behavior is that when you are in one album (or artist) and scrolling vertically, a horizontal scroll should move you to the next (or previous) album. This would be particularly useful when you have filtered down the album list with a Focus, so you get the next Swedish Chamber Jazz album, for example. (Bi-directional scrolling support, with different semantics, is very natural on a touch tablet; not easily supported with a mouse.)
  2. There are places in the current UX where I am in a vertically scrolling page, and there are embedded lists that scroll horizontally, with a particularly non-elegant user interface. I think I have seen it for Appearances, and I know I have seen it for Tidal. I think there is no reason to have embedded horizontal lists. Maybe the concern is that such a list could be arbitrarily long (e.g. Tidal) and therefore expanding the list in a vertical page would make the remaining material difficult to get to. But I repeat my suggestion for a Hide/Show option for subsections of the page (such as Tracks, Review, Credits), which would also be a good way to get rid of the popups currently used for Review and Credits. The best option is for a tri-state folding action, as used on theguardian.com: by default a small part is shown (like the intro to the review, or the main artists from credits), you can Hide it entirely or Show it entirely. And the system remembers my choice, so this becomes the way to hide Tracks, for example, which people have requested: with such memory, there is no need for a Setting to alter the default.
  3. There is an interesting quirk that comes from some previous decisions. If you look at the Sooloos C:15 and iPad apps, you see an interesting difference: the C:15 shows albums listed horizontally in three rows, which works ok because it scrolls by page (buttons, no multi-touch); the iPad app supports continuous horizontal scrolling, and that means the list of albums is arranged vertically on the page, by column, which is unusual and somewhat confusing. Roon went back to horizontal arrangement which is much more natural, but that means it must also scroll by page; if you move the page slowly by half a page, the album arrangement is off. And in particular, this limits the ability of the system to support inertia-with-friction: you can’t give the screen a really strong swing and see it scroll fast and gradually slow down. Inertia-with-friction is very cool. Losing it is a high price to pay. But I don’t know what to suggest, I think the arrangement is otherwise correct. There is some inertia, maybe it is just a matter of tweaking the parameters…

Just sitting playing some Jazz and as I move through roon the random changes from vertical to horizontal can be quite confusing.

Overview to Tidal albums to Album, My Playlists, Tracks, Works, History etc etc ALL Vertical, Go to Artist or Composer and suddenly horizontal. The change makes no sense at all and depending on input device is harder to use.

3 Likes

I’d like to add another vote to having a vertical scroll option. Horizontal still feels unintuitive…

4 Likes

Glad you agree Musicphile. Can’t understand why some users are so hostile to this sensible suggestion - Cheers Robert

3 Likes

I also prefer vertical scrolling and believe we should be given the option to decide for ourselves.

Horizontal scrolling runs counter to expected UI norms. The fact that we are forced to use it assumes that we all subscribe (LOL) to the “magazine” concept and that we will all be using tablets. Neither of those things is true in my case.

3 Likes

Another vote for user choice. Thanks Keith

3 Likes

Another vote for vertical scrolling

3 Likes

Great Phunge! Anyone at Roonlabs listening? @danny ?

1 Like

I thought I would hate the horizontal scrolling… but I don’t. I actually like it now, and don’t have issues adjusting. I like the page by page approach as well, instead of continuous scrolling. Horizontal continuous scrolling would feel weird, but the current arrangement seems good to me. Probably best for touch screens and tablets as well.

Funnily enough, the horizontal page scrolling is growing on me too - though I would still like an option for vertical paging/scrolling.

1 Like

+1 on finding horizontal scrolling ok, especially since the launch of the iPad app.

Russ