Very slow search - Nils Frahm [large library, 248 K tracks]

If your library fits on one SSD and you have no intention to run HQ Player on the same machine then the fastest i7 NUC you can find (with a storage SSD or connecting to USB storage) running ROCK remains the best current solution. That may change when support for NET 6.0 on Apple Silicon is rolled out (see Brian’s post linked above). That is a current project under development atm, but it is subject to Microsoft progress and release cycle.

If you want multiple SSD storage or think you might like to try HQ Player in the future then a fast i7/i9 or AMD in your favourite ATX case and appropriate cooling running Windows 10. See this thread for the latest suggestions regarding most intensive HQ Player settings:

Whether you opt for a NUC or an ATX server I would suggest separating the inevitably noisy Core from your DAC with a Roon Ready device (NAA for HQP). I use a Sonore microRendu, but with your resources and gear I would opt for an Optical Ethernet link using the opticalRendu and an opticalModule or Optical Ethernet card at the NUC/Server end. Optical Ethernet is the best separation from the Core available and is a lot cheaper than trying to tweak a NUC or ATX box into being quiet.

Whatever Roon Ready device on the ‘clean end’ you opt for, I would recommend powering it with an UltraCap LPS-1.2. This uses switching capacitor banks, one running the Roon Ready device while the other recharges, meaning complete isolation from the wall power supply. This did wonders for transients on my system.