Very slow to load tidal artwork / Roon Windows App turns white and unresponsive

what version of Roon you are running (Settings > About; If you’re running Windows, please let us know whether you’re running 32bit or 64 bit)

Operating System
Version 1.0 (build 158) stable
Running 1 hour, 49 minutes, 40 seconds.

Roon Server Software
Version 1.5 (build 320) stable
Running 1 hour, 49 minutes, 34 seconds.

Roon Database & Settings
100% of 114 GB available.

Internal Music Storage
500GB, Hitachi HTS54505
90% of 462 GB available.

What operating system you are running (Windows 7; OSX 10.9; etc)

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Basic information about the device you’re using (MacBook Pro 2011 w 4gb of RAM; HP Envy laptop w i7; etc).

Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

Internal Storage on the ROCK - Rock OS Drive is 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Internal storage is a 500GB SATA2 5400RPM HDD

Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)

Problem.
Whe you open Roon on Windows PC, really unresponsive, locking up, cannot move resize. App takes ages to load tidal album photos. Can lock up randomly 10-20 secs and then come back. Eventually app appears to crash, blank white window. Music still playing - see below.

Intel HD4000 strikes again :frowning:

I recommend updating the graphics driver to latest version from the Intel driver site.

This looks very much as though it’s the Intel graphics driver issue again. A quick workaround will be to use the 32 bit version of Roon on the PC.

Awesome. Updated HD4000 Graphics Driver - et voila, all sorted. (I thought I was on the latest driver - obviously not !!)

Cheers Guys !!

2 Likes

Heh, spoke too soon. Artwork loading fine now. But minimise Roon whilst doing other things, then come back and completely white screen as per screenshot above. Wonder if that’s something driver related as well. Driver ver 10.18.10.4885

Try the 32bit roon version…this has been known as a workaround solution

Just uninstalled 64-bit Roon Windows Client and installed 32-bit version. Restarted system, same symptoms, if you minimise the active roon window, then restore or maximise it, then it restores to a blank white window. Oddly odd. Can’t change refresh settings or anything like that as its a laptop. Weirdly weird.

@support
As this was closed without being resolved am re-opening.
For system specs see this thread - Thread
Have updated to Intel’s latest VGA & Chipset Drivers. Uninstalled 64-bit client and installed 32-bit client. Running todays latest builds of client and server.
Same symptoms, as soon as I minimise roon window, it will only restore or maximise to a blank white screen.

Hello @David_Brown,

I do apologize that the thread was automatically closed, I have moved your new post back in the old thread and have re-opened it.

As to comment further on this issue, unfortunately this is a known bug in some GPU drivers that can affect programs like Roon that use OpenGL. You can find some more details in this post explaining the problem (Roon Becomes Unresponsive - Ghosted Out Completely). While we continue to hope Intel will resolved this on their end, for now my recommendation would be to confirm Windows has not updated your driver, and see if there are any additional drivers available for your GPU. In general, most users who’ve been faced with this problem have been able to resolve it with some trial and error.

Have a read over Mike’s post above, and let us know how it’s going. If we can help we will, but unfortunately there’s very little we can do directly to address driver issues like this.

Thanks,
Noris