Vodafone Germany w/ ISP-Supplied Modem/Router (Fritz!Box or Touchstone): Ongoing Discussion

Hi @Sven_Schwarz,

My apologies for the delayed response here.

Unfortunately, your provider, Vodafone Germany, has implemented IPv6 across their residential tier accounts. While they do offer dual-stack lite as a workaround, it will only function if the home server from which you will be forwarding has a dedicated IPv6 address. At this time, Roon Cores cannot support IPv6 addresses, so dual-stack lite will not work.

This issue has unfortunately been broadly encountered by the Roon ARC user Community in Germany. See this thread and this thread.

However, don’t give up! You have several options for workarounds that are known among the Vodafone Germany user group for port forwarding:

1. Replacing the Vodafone-provided modem/router (TG3442DE) with your own modem/router is known to prevent their carrier-grade NAT from blocking port forwarding in most cases. Many users have replaced their Vodafone-provided modem/router with a Fritz!Box gateway, for instance. See this thread: Vodafone Germany w/ ISP-Supplied Modem/Router (Fritz!Box or Touchstone): 502/504 Errors - #44 by Thomas_Forster

2. Upgrade to a business contract with the option “fixed IP” (basically, a public routable IPv4 assigned to your router). This will cost a minimum amount extra each month in your contract, but it is a guaranteed solution.

3. Try to get in touch with a support agent at Vodafone directly. Many users with older contracts have been able to grandfather in their original static public IPv4 address, or requested for CG-NAT to otherwise be disabled for their account. There are grey areas and exceptions to all ISP rules, so it is worth trying.

Please let me know if these workarounds are helpful. I’d keep on eye on the threads above that I’ve linked, as there are many other uses in your situation who have found solutions unique to their setup.

Thank you again for your patience.

2 Likes