Volume bar design that is eye control friendly

hello,
I am disabled ( fully paralyzed) and I use roon with a Windows pc equipped with an eye control tool.

the volume control design of roon is a problem for me because I cannot slide over the volume bar with my eye control tool.

most of music players in the market, if not all, set the volume directly at the level where we click on the bar, but roon only move to +/- 1 when we click on the bar at a new volume level.

please, is there a option I missed in parameters to change this?

nb : also it would be nice to create an option in parameters to set the volume bar always on top in the interface design. For those who will prefer this presentation.

thanks very much,
JC

4 Likes

hello,

most of music players in the market, if not all, set the volume directly at the level where we click on the bar, but roon only move to +/- 1 db when we click on the bar at a new volume level.

this is strange to me because there are already +/- buttons for that just next to the bar.

it would be nice to make like most of the market players :slight_smile:

also it would be nice to create an option in parameters to set the volume bar always on top in the interface design. For those who will prefer this presentation… :wink:

JC

I never noticed this because I always grab-and-drag the volume, but you are right. This is very bad UI design. I suppose Roon does it this way to prevent a mistake click from suddenly increasing the volume, but they should at least make it possible to do it while holding down the CTRL key or SHIFT key.

Correct, users requested this change some years ago to prevent that very case.
It’s safe and for the majority of user it works just fine.

That said, I hope Roon consider this user’s request (it’s a very special case) and come up with a smart solution to accommodate it.

thanks very much Carl,
I understand well the past request to avoid mistakes.

may Roon team consider to change back this feature, taking into account that users are now used to grab and drag volume. This habit avoid by itself to make mistakes, no? :wink:

and there is also a feature now in parameters preferences to limit the maximum volume :slight_smile: …

but I understand anyway that priorities are done for the majority of people.

whatever Roon team will do, thanks a lot !
JC

1 Like

hello,
maybe I have an idea to make it possible while avoiding mistakes :slight_smile:

set the volume directly at the level where we double click on the bar.

this would prevent a mistake click from suddenly increasing the volume, and this would work fine with my eye control equipment. :slight_smile:

could this be acceptable?
thanks
JC

1 Like

hello there :slight_smile:
please is there a chance to get that double click functionality for volume in release 1.8? ( see my previous message)
JC

hello there :slight_smile:
any news on that request please?

Volume improvement ideas are always interesting, but design changes to the volume bar will never come fast.

Many users systems are so powerful that changing the volume quickly can actually cause damage to expensive equipment. The +1/-1 is meant for fine tuning and bypassing the safety limits. The single click to jump is scary, and while the double click is better, I’m not sure I feel comfortable with any solution that jumps instead of “moves”.

We do have an API, which has no such restrictions.

1 Like

thanks Dany for that answer,
would you mind to explain me “API”? ( sorry for my poor english, I am french… :wink: )
JC

hi @danny ,
would that be possible to let as it is as default, but give the possibility in parameters to change the volume bar behavior (set the volume at the level where we click on the bar) maybe with a warning…
JC

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.