Volume control issue on Squeezebox Touch

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

Thanks for letting me know this occurs on build 416 as well. I can confirm that the diagnostics from your machine have been received by our servers and I have submitted it to QA in your case notes. I will be sure to let you know once I hear back and appreciate your patience until then.

– Noris

Just another piece of information from my testing … I have been using my Squeezebox Receiver endpoint for apprx a week now and I have not experienced any issues… so it seems to be related to only Squeezebox Touch!!? Both endpoints are using the same wifi.

BR
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

Thanks for that info, I have added it to your case notes. I just pinged the QA team again requesting them to take a look and when I have more info to share, I’ll be sure to let you know!

– Noris

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

I just spoke to the QA team regarding this case. They have noticed a few volume traces which require some feedback from the dev team but we also need some more info here before it can be reviewed. Can you please let me know the following?

• Can you use the Logitech remote to properly control the volume of the Squeezebox in general?
  • When this issue occurs does the Logitech remote still function?
  • Does simply rebooting the device (and not the Core) restore functionality?
  • Are you having any dropouts or stoppages while playing content (Local or Streaming) to the squeezebox zone or is the volume control the only issue?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris,
I’ll try to answer your questions:

• Yes, volume can be controlled fine by the remote. But in general very few functions is working both from the remote and the unit itself. Pause works, but when paused I cannot make it play again from either the remote nor the touchscreen, i must use a Roon controlpoint. Play next or prev is also not working except from controlpoint.

• Yes with the limitations metioned above.

• No, a reboot or power recycle of the Touch is not restoring any functionality. Only restarting the Roon Server on the Core is remediating the problem for a few days.

• No dropouts or stoppages, volum control is only issue

BR
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

Thanks for letting me know that info, I have added it to your case notes and will let you know once I have feedback on the volume traces that were present in the diagnostics.

– Noris

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

I appreciate your patience here while I further discussed your case with the team. I spoke to both the dev and QA team but the diagnostics from your Core do not indicate as to why this issue is occurring.

I then requested QA to try to reproduce this behavior on their Squeezebox zone and they have been running it for the last 4 days without issue, both for playback and for volume control.

To us, this indicates that the issue may be something environmental such as your networking setup or possibly another device on the network causing this issue.

I want to try and separate if something on the network is causing this issue, I am thinking that our next step here would be to disconnect everything except the Core + Squeezebox Touch from the network next time this issue occurs. Can you give that a try and let me know if that changes anything?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi Noris
Thanks for suggestion, but I guess my household is not happy with me stealing the network for days troubleshooting :thinking:

I have been wondering if this problem might be related to my # Intel NUC DCCP847DYE which is running my ROCK? Isn’t this HW too weak even if I don’t use any DSP ? I have library of about 70K tracks and my thinking is that since everything is running OK for a few days after restart it might suggest the server clutters things a bit over time and looses some respons? Is volum control an easy or heavy load for the CORE?

Anyway, I have a spare Win10 Intel7 24GB RAM with SSD which I could try using for the CORE for a while and see if that remediates the problem?

Or haven’t the log traces from my CORE shown any sign of stress on my HW?

BR
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

It does appear that the specific NUC you are using is using a Celeron processor which does not meet our Minimum Requirements so it could be part of the issue but I can’t say for sure.

Volume control shouldn’t be too heavy of a task but if the entire system is slowed down due to the processing going on in the background then it is possible this is also affecting your Touch zone.

Yes, you can give this a try. If the problem does not occur on the other machine provided the connection type is the same (same Ethernet cable, same switch/router connection, ect.) then it would further indicate that it is possibly related to the Core. I would say give it a try and see how it goes.

– Noris

Thanks Noris, I will try it out.
Would it affect soundquality wether I run Core on the NUC or on the Win10 ?

BR
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

I would not expect a difference in SQ when running on the Windows 10 vs the NUC.
Do let me know how the testing goes!

– Noris

Hi @Noris
Been playing on the new win10 core for almost a fourthnight now and the volume issue has disappeared…
But then again, on the NUC ROCK it was no problem the first 10-12 months so maybe this is something that accumulates over a periode of time? Or do you think it’s down to growing size of library related to the weak NUC HW I was using?

BR
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

Glad to hear that the Win10 Core is not exhibiting the same issues!

It’s possible but it’s hard to say what exactly triggers it. We tried reproducing on our end in two environments and couldn’t, so it may be something specific to your environment. If you are able to get clear reproduction steps and have this behavior occur at-will it would be an interesting to note and once we have that, we can take another look.

– Noris

Hi Noris
I had periodically backup of my ROCK. Should it be possible to restore the ROCK core to the new Windows Core or is it impossible due to different OS ?
I did try once but it failed and I’m just posting this to get it confirmed…

Thanks,
Terje

Hi @Terje_Haaskjold,

If the backup was created from within Roon and backup files were not modified, you should be able to restore the database across OS’s. I would take a look to see how you copied the backup folder over and possibly try using one of the slightly older backups if the most recent one is not restoring properly.

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.