Volume control looses sync on remotes after a while

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i5 running ROCK (8MB ram, 256gig M.2, 2TB music onboard) hardwired static IP

Endpoints: 4X airplay via wifi. Naim Uniti Atom hardwired static IP RAAT, RoPieeXl hardwired static IP RAAT

Remotes: MacOS (Catalina, Mojave), iPhone 11, iPad pro

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Unifi USG router, Unifi managed switch POE-60W, 3X NanoHD access points. Core hardwired, endpoints hardwired, remotes wifi.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Endpoints: 4X airplay. Naim Uniti Atom, RoPieeXl

Description Of Issue

Three of my endpoints use hardware volume control, my Homepod, Naim Uniti Atom, and a RoPieee based rPi hat. These items have local volume controls, The Naim has a sexy volume knob, the RoPieee unit has volume on the touch screen, and the Homepod has the buttons on the top.

When a remote is freshly started, the indicated volume on the remote display changes when the endpoint volume is changed. And the endpoint volume changes when the volume on the remote is changed. The bidirectional communication works well.

But if I let the remote sit for a day or so, the bidirectional communication breaks down. I can change the volume on the endpoint from the remote and the volume does indeed change, and is reflected on the endpoint displays. But if I go to the endpoint and change the volume there, the remote volume indicator does not change. So if I then change the volume using the remote, the volume will snap to the value listed in the remote and then be changed from there.

If I quit and restart the remote, everything works as it should.

I suppose it could be my network, but I haven’t had any other services be effected by long running times.

Sheldon

I only have the atom out of the three and the bidirectional control always works. Never had it go away.

Hello @Sheldon_Stokes, and thanks for posting! Do you experience this on all remotes or just this one? Can you also reply here with a timestamp of when you’re able to reproduce this so I can enable diagnostics for your account? Thanks!

I’m listening right now, and went over to my Uniti Atom and changed the volume, and it is not reflected in the remote on my iMac.

I just started the remote on my iPhone and it is tracking the volume as I change it on the Atom.

I have a remote running on an older iMac in the shop and I changed zones from “shop” to my atom and it tracks the changes made locally on the atom. That remote has been running for days on that machine but the change of zones seems to have woken it up.

Hope those clues help. This is not a big issue because I can always restart the remote or switch zones, but something that is odd because play pause are always in sync its only volume.

Sheldon

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it happens on all my remotes that are on MacOS. I don’t currently have a remote installed on my little Dell XPS because it’s not part of my normally used machines.

I have two macbook pros running Catalina that exhibit this issue, one imac running Mojave, and one imac running High Sierra that all show the same behavior.

I’ll install the remote on my Dell and see if that does the same thing.

EDIT: I’ve installed the roon software on my dell and I have it watching the uniti and it is now working properly. I’ll let it sit a while and see how it works.

Sheldon

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.