Volume controlled by Roon on which DACs?

Update: I finally updated SonicOS to v2.5 on my microRendu and the USB volume control now works with the Brooklyn (which was also recently updated to the most recent v2.36 – although this update alone did not make USB volume work with Roon).

I think you can always control DAC volume from Roon with DSP, but you want the “Use Device controls” because that makes Roon send the volume to the DAC so the DAC internally handles the volume. If done correctly in the DAC, this can be done virtually without any loss of SQ if its build into the DAC chip itself (volume is just voltage, so the DAC chip can just output lower voltage without loss of digital precision/bits).

Using DSP to handle the volume lowers the “bits”, for example a low volume on a CD quality 16 bit stream will be less than 16 bits in actual resolution. Having said that, your ears “bits” will also be lower since you hear details worse at lower volume, but still.

Hi Duncan,
Have you had any progress with trying to match the volume On roon with the Brooklyn DAC?
I’m having the same problem, surely there’s a way to display the volume displaying on the Brooklyn to display exactly the same in Roon?

Thanks

Hi Neil,

IIRC; I got it to work with the Windows driver only - but since I’ve moved to Ropieee I’m not that worried as it’s in arms length.

Thanks
Duncan

1 Like

Thanks Duncan