Volume does not stay at specified level on RopieeeXL

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Synology DS918+ with 16GB RAM and a dedicated ssd drive for the roon database. A raid-5 setup with 3 hdds stores all the music. Roon Server/Core 1.6 (build 416) 64-bit is installed.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Local ethernet is routed with an asus RT-AC66U_B1 and connected with TP-Link AV1200 (1.2Gbit) powerline adapters.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
The audio device is Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ with an Allo Reclocker and Piano 2.1 DAC HAT. The raspberry has the latest RopieeeXL installed (version 1.0, build 169)

Description Of Issue
I use the Android app (latest version, as of writing version 1.6, build 433). Whenever I touch the volume bar or +/- buttons to increase the volume to e.g. 80% or 100%, it frequently jumps back to a lower volume. After 3-4 attempts it stays at the desired volume. This happens quite frequently and is pretty annoying.

I captured my screen to demo the issue. I press the + button to increase the volume, and at 0:15 in the video the volume jumps back from 55% to 27%. It also happens when touching the volume bar instead of the + buttons. At times it happens more frequently.

Video is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=16gnCAA3b6a-gg9Dysg5myaO7qW-5UDvX

Hi @Niels_Anders,

I have split your post into it’s own thread so I can better assist. Can you please fill out our template so that I can get a sense of the kind of setup you’re using here? Thanks!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

I edited the OP with more information, thanks for helping!

Hi @Niels_Anders,

Thanks for editing the post, this is useful information to have. Just to clarify a few points here:

1. When you are increasing the volume as you have done in the video, does the volume actually increase or does it appear to be only increasing until the lower volume it jumps back to?

2. Do other zones display this behavior or is it just the Ropiee zone?

3. How do the Powerline adapters fit into this equation? We have often seen Powerline adapters cause issues with Roon, and if you can temporarily bypass them and have the endpoint connected directly to the router, it would be a good data point to have.

4. Do all your Roon Remotes display the same behavior? You can install Roon as a Remote Guide on various devices and knowing if this occurs on a remote other than the Android app would be a good data point to have.

Thank you for your reply. I need a bit of time to narrow it down with your proposed testing. I will report back here probably after the weekend.

In the meantime my short answers to your questions.

1. Yes, the volume does increase/decrease according to the volume bar and pressing the buttons.

2. I use this zone for 99% of the time. I will have a look while using my PC as endpoint.

3. I have modem from my ISP located down in the hallway where the cable comes into the house. From there network is going through a powerline adapter into the wall. The ropiee is behind one adapter, the Asus router with attached my PC and NAS with Roon Server is behind another adapter. My experience with these powerline adapters is that they are just an alternative to ethernet cables. I get very fast transfer rates, much faster and more stable than wifi, in my memory up to 200 MB/s (approximates 1.2Gbit). I need to deassemble my ropiee setup to connect directly to the ISP modem to rule out the powerline adapter. I am willing to do that I need to make some time for it the coming week.

4. I use a linux desktop on my PC and laptop so the Android app was my only possible remote. However, with the help of this forum I was able to install the Roon windows application on linux using Wine. I will try it with this app as well. However, running windows apps with Wine may have other quirks (none seen with Roon so far though)

as for 2 and 4:
2. I don’t experience the issue when using the Android app to control music when my phone (samsung s8) or my pc is the endpoint
4. I do experience the issue when I use Roon with Wine to control music on the ropiee endpoint

So that rules out the Android app as the issue, and narrowed it down to the ropiee endpoint itself, or the connection towards the endpoint.

Hi @Niels_Anders,

Thank you for running those tests, this does indeed narrow down the issue to just the Ropiee endpoint.

I would next try to bypass the powerline adapters if possible, as that would allow us to narrow down this behavior further and eliminate them from the equation.

Also, just in case it might help, you may want to try re-installing the RopieeXL firmware on the Pi.

Additional Edit: You may also want to post this issue in the RopieeeXL thread to inquire with others if they experience similar behavior:

I can’t reproduce it anymore in my regular setup. In the meantime RoPieeeXL updated itself to version 366. I don’t see any related issues in the changelog (https://www.ropieee.org/changelog/ I came from 336 I think).

Anyway, whenever I experience it again I will try to test again while ruling out the powerline adapters.

Hi @Niels_Anders,

Thanks for the update here. If you are able to reproduce again please do run the test without the powerline adapters and let me know the results.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.