Volume goes to max after nightly reboot

Hi - it appears that my volume will be at maximum in the morning. This causes quite a surprise when playing music - considering I have over 2400 watts of power in my listening room controlling delicate ribbon speakers.

My theory was that it was a result of the auto reboot script happening nightly, so I performed a test and SSH’d in and ran a reboot command, and sure enough when the device is alive and ready, it’s back at maximum volume (max volume allowed by roon anyway, which I have set to “45”).

Any way to have it either honor the previous volume, or just have it go all the way down rather than all the way up after a reboot? Or can I disable the reboot command altogether (guessing it’s a cron job of some sort?)

Also, just curious - What is the purpose of the nightly reboot, a band aid of some sort?

@narkotic If I am not wrong there are zone settings in roon that facilitate a default level and some min and maximums too. I don’t have a core handy right now to get a screen shot as I’m in a hotel for the next few days.

Just checked - I only see min and max but no default.

The base setting could be in the device settings not the zone…but this might have changed since 1.5 release…so don’t quote me…as I’m not near my core to see or test I’m going from memory and 1.5 is rather new to the mix

@narkotic what kinda device are we talking about? Which HAT?

No HAT. A USB-connected Mytek Brooklyn DAC with the option of “use device volume” so that I can control it’s volume via Roon.

ok thanks.

check here perhaps and also the Volume Limits setting

No dice - I don’t see any feature for default volume.

@spockfish - Can I disable the auto reboot either via CLI or web interface until this is resolved? Or is the reboot integral to the reliability of the system… I do not use an attached display (yet), if that even matters. I couldn’t find a cron job for it, but I do see timer files.

Hi,

Auto reboot is gone in the next version: at least you can choose it if you wish.
For now it’s simple: login as root and perform a:

shutdown -c

That will be it. In the next version you can configure it to ‘never’ reboot.
Still I want to figure this out. Problem is that in your case it uses the USB capable volume, and my DAC does not do that…

To be continued!

1 Like

Yeah - maybe it’s some sort of Linux Mixer issue, when it establishes connection to the DAC it goes to max. Strange.

Oh i’m sure it’s something like that. It’s just difficult for me to debug, that’s all :wink:

1 Like

Hello,
I have just installed Ropieee on my raspberry pi and I got a similar problem with the volume… my ears are still ringing from Nirvana a full blast in my Audeze headphones.

In the attempt to prevent further damage to my eardrums I have set up the volume limit in Roon to MAX 30 and Limit 20 but every time I switch OFF my Brooklyn and then ON again Roon volume goes up to 45 in Roon setting (-20 in Mytek dB).
This doesn’t happen if the Mytek is connected directly to the computer through USB.
Any help is appreciated
thanks
Marco

Same problem here. HAT: HiFiBerry DAC+ pro XLR

Ok, I’m in the middle of a new version so I put this one on the list.

1 Like

I have set up the volume limit to 40 and the comfort limit to 35.

But after reboot volume is again at 100 (!):

Hi @Frank_Luderer,

Can you do me a favour and send me feedback? Go to RoPieee’s web page, specifically the ‘advanced’ tab and press the ‘send feedback’ button. I can then have a look at your logs…

Thanks,

Done: 391e60c9a8f5557e

I’m also seeing this now on my iqaudio digiamp+ it seems…need to do some more checks but even with limits set it’s going to 100 after a restart it seems

@spockfish any thoughts on what is causing this volume reset to 100 after a reboot?